• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BigB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone.
I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here. I just got my first pin - SST. I would like to get another one in future, probably some early 80s machine with nice oldschool speech effects and sci-fi theme.
These are my candidates so far: Black Hole, Centaur, Pinbot, Robot, Xenon, TX Sector, Space Shuttle
Any suggestions?

#2 8 years ago

I have Flash Gordon on my Wishlist.

#3 8 years ago

Welcome to the addiction.

I've owned a PinBot. Classic game with one of the best multiball locks out there. Challenging but with some really easy to understand objectives for noobs. Art is sweet, cabinet screams 1980's arcade goodness and the sounds are perfect too.

Centaur looks amazing, but I've only played a couple dozen games at shows. I'd buy one but its not high on my wish list. Xenon seems to be well liked but its never really hooked me. Black Hole is another fun game, but not real high on my list.

I'd also recommend checking out games like Firepower, Firepower II, Defender (low production game) or Big Guns.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from tmac:

I have Flash Gordon on my Wishlist.

I second that one too. Played this for the first time at the Kzoo show and was surprised how good it was. Unique layout with a TON of stuff to shoot for.

#5 8 years ago

Not early '80's but late, '89
Transporter: The Rescue

Nice sci-fi theme, very nice pin with good gameplay.

#6 8 years ago

Just have fun on your quest. Play lots of different pins. There will be one or two that will speak to you and many more in the future. It just depends on how much physical space you have.

#7 8 years ago

I have owned (or own) several of the machines on your "short list" and hands down the best is Pin-Bot. William's System 11 machines are some of the best built pinball machines of all time, still reasonably priced and Pin-Bot has more stay power than anything else in out collection.

Zenon - is a great looking game and is fun to play but the WOW factor wears off over time.

Haunted House and Black Hole are both very cool and unique pins but those System 80's can be problematic at times (even after mods are done). And they are better for larger collections since they are more of a novelty machines than great playing machines.

I have not had the others so I can't tell you long term how their stay power would be but to me Pin-Bot is one of the best pre DMD machines ever made.

Firepower is a lot of fun also and is hard to beat. I don't think you will hear many people say much negative about Firepower or Firepower II but for $300 or $400 more you can have a Pin-Bot and to me that puts Pin-Bot first on my list.

#8 8 years ago

I'd add Black Knight and Sorcerer to your list.
Classic 80's sounds and light shows.

#9 8 years ago

As my first pin is a 1980 Williams Blackout, my next pin purchase down the road would be a DMD from the 90's. So many to chose from: Whirlwind, WCS94, Earthshaker, Fish Tales just to name a few.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

im going to add two more machines to my "second pin" list, let me know what do you guys think...TX Sector, Space Shuttle

#11 8 years ago

My biased vote goes to Black Hole!

1 week later
#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Temujin:

im going to add two more machines to my "second pin" list, let me know what do you guys think...TX Sector, Space Shuttle

Never played Tx Sector.

Lots of people like Space Shuttle because it was a pretty significant game BITD. I'm not super crazy about it personally, but its still a fun game that has some cool features.

#13 8 years ago

I have a Space Shuttle, it was my second game and I love it. If you like pop bumper action SS is the one to get. A few times now I've just stood back and watched as the ball just went crazy bouncing in the pop bumpers then bouncing back out then back in. You led it, put an xternal sub woofer on it and it looks and sounds GREAT!! It's a hard game to come buy but you can still buy a new aftermarket playfield for it, new Shuttle toy and new cab stencil kit. So if you find a beat one there are parts to make it like new. My SS is a keeper...it aint goin no where.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have a Space Shuttle, it was my second game and I love it. If you like pop bumper action SS is the one to get. A few times now I've just stood back and watched as the ball just went crazy bouncing in the pop bumpers then bouncing back out then back in. You led it, put an xternal sub woofer on it and it looks and sounds GREAT!! It's a hard game to come buy but you can still buy a new aftermarket playfield for it, new Shuttle toy and new cab stencil kit. So if you find a beat one there are parts to make it like new. My SS is a keeper...it aint goin no where.

Same here. Awesome pin when it's tricked-out!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside