20180205_090045 (resized).jpg
20180205_085919 (resized).jpg
IMG_0132[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0129[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0131[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0130[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0128[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0134[1] (resized).JPG
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I have had 4 different F2K games and only one of them had the pf supports. I have also seen them on a Meteor. So atleast the top piece will be longer on the wide body games. IIRC, the hole spacing was equal along the length of the supports making them non game specific? I do remember that the spacing coincided with the screw holes going through to the wood side rails, meaning that the screws holding the supports also held the wood rails to the pf. So maybe they are game specific.
I'd be more interested in a reproduction pf support hanger, the 2 brackets that slide into the lockdown receiver. These are usually rust and bent.

I don't think at this the supports will be getting made. There was just not enough demand to justify the cost.

As for the two brackets you mention. Do you have pictures of what you're talking about? We don't own any of the classic Stern games. This means we will always need something to work from.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'd be more interested in a reproduction pf support hanger, the 2 brackets that slide into the lockdown receiver. These are usually rust and bent.

I'd like some of those as well.

#53 5 years ago

Just reconnecting with Pinside after a break... If the Seawitch guides happen, I would gladly by one set.

-Steve

#54 5 years ago

I wanted to post a last call for anyone looking to get on the list for a set of these guides. Please post here to be counted!

You can see the Star Gazer guides that were just finished here. http://tinyurl.com/yc7lq8ur

This link is to the early Bally style apron brackets and playfield hangers that will work for that era of Stern games too. http://tinyurl.com/ycnnl9jo

#55 5 years ago

Please put me down for a set too

#56 5 years ago

I'm dumping the donor set in the post today. I was hoping that someone living near kerry would be able to play the part of mule from the ann arbor pinball show this weekend, but that doesn't appear to be the case

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Sly311271:

Here are the Metalgate

one square are 0,5 cm
total length = 15,5 cm
total width = 2,5 cm

This flap could be made but we will need a donor part to work with. We already have the ball guides. Anyone willing to send us one of these?

We have a donor! Thanks to cottonm4 for letting us borrow this.

#58 5 years ago

I'll take a look at my ball guides tonight and see if this could be helpful on a restore project.

thanks!
-mof

#59 5 years ago

Please PM when you are ready for money. I don't always get time to read thread updates.

Thanks,

Carey

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Please PM when you are ready for money. I don't always get time to read thread updates.
Thanks,
Carey

When they are ready I will post a link for ordering here and send PMs.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

This flap could be made but we will need a donor part to work with. We already have the ball guides. Anyone willing to send us one of these?
We have a donor! Thanks to cottonm4 for letting us borrow this.

I have an NOS one I could send. I will contact you after the Allentown show is behind me.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from ibuypinballs:

I have an NOS one I could send. I will contact you after the Allentown show is behind me.

Hi! Thanks for the offer but a donor was already sent in.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Sly311271:

Here are the Metalgate

one square are 0,5 cm
total length = 15,5 cm
total width = 2,5 cm

How many of you would like a Ball Gate included with your sets? How many would like to see it as a stand alone item and would purchase it separately? See post 22 and 33 on page one for more information and pics.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

How many of you would like a Ball Gate included with your sets? How many would like to see it as a stand alone item and would purchase it separately? See post 22 and 33 on page one for more information and pics.

I'd like to see it included. Heck, if I'm replacing the guides with new shiny material it would be nice to have the ball gate match (and perhaps improved performance - wise).

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

I vote Included.

#66 5 years ago

Not myself, I have an NOS one plus the one in the game.

#67 5 years ago

I'd like to see it included too

#68 5 years ago

I was asked to post my Seawitch orbit/entry flap assembly so here ya go. I know a LOT of you SW owners already got one from me but for those who were unaware and are new to the game I do still make these

Seawitch-OB1 (resized).jpgSeawitch-OB1 (resized).jpg

Seawitch-OB2 (resized).jpgSeawitch-OB2 (resized).jpg

Seawitch-OB3 (resized).jpgSeawitch-OB3 (resized).jpg

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

I was asked to post my Seawitch orbit/entry flap assembly so here ya go. I know a LOT of you SW owners already got one from me but for those who were unaware and are new to the game I do still make these

Well that's all we needed to know Cliffy. Ok guys if you want this part you'll have to order from Cliffy. We would prefer not to duplicate efforts.

#70 5 years ago

put me down for a set of ball guides.

#71 5 years ago

I want to make this perfectly clear because some people may not have referenced the Fathom post regarding these guides before committing to buying. The guides are all 100% stainless steel. The flat metal guide face is natural finished, meaning it has a slight grain to it. These are made this way so that they can be offered at a reasonable price. If you want them shiny like the originals you have to do that yourself or find someone with a buffing wheel that could do it for you.

If they were made from mirror finished stainless they would be very expensive. If they had the slightest blemish people would be complaining. I personally feel at the current price point they are a great value. Considering what plastic toys modified for your game sell for.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

I want to make this perfectly clear because some people may not have referenced the Fathom post regarding these guides before committing to buying. The guides are all 100% stainless steel. The flat metal guide face is natural finished, meaning it has a slight grain to it. These are made this way so that they can be offered at a reasonable price. If you want them shiny like the originals you have to do that yourself or find someone with a buffing wheel that could do it for you.
If they were made from mirror finished stainless they would be very expensive. If they had the slightest blemish people would be complaining. I personally feel at the current price point they are a great value. Considering what plastic toys modified for your game sell for.

I understand about the finish now. I need #8 mirror finish. Please cancel my Seawitch ball guide order.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

Just got my Star Gazer ones yesterday, and already have Fathom, they are awesome, thank you.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

If I polish them with a buffing wheel, how close to mirror shiny do they get?

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

that depends on the time you take and the level of effort that you want to put into it

have you ever used a buffing wheel before? if not, I would suggest watching a few youtube video before doing so. improper use can cause damage noly only to the part but to your yourself if you're not careful

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that depends on the time you take and the level of effort that you want to put into it
have you ever used a buffing wheel before? if not, I would suggest watching a few youtube video before doing so. improper use can cause damage noly only to the part but to your yourself if you're not careful

Thanks - that second video was helpful. I have polished old ball guides, side rails and lock bars before. It seems like in order to get a mirror finish on the new guides I would essentially have to go through the same process I would with the old original guides? If so, I'll need to consider what level of finish I want for the final look and weigh how much work getting new ones would actually save me. Is that right or am I missing something?

#77 5 years ago

if you have the right tools, its really not that much effort (as seen in that 2nd video)

btw, if you go to their link, you'll see that their product is just a bit overpriced for what it really is. $1,000 for a suped-up grinder? the same results can be achieved with 200, 400, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper and a decent belt sander. then just finish it off with the proper rouge and a buffing wheel

personally, I like the grained look (which is a lot easier to achieve with 200, 400 and 600 grit), but like every ball guide, you'll start seeing "ball trails" as the ball polishes that tiny portion where it makes contact with the guide over time

#78 5 years ago

Thanks - that second video was helpful. I have polished old ball guides, side rails and lock bars before. It seems like in order to get a mirror finish on the new guides I would essentially have to go through the same process I would with the old original guides? If so, I'll need to consider what level of finish I want for the final look and weigh how much work getting new ones would actually save me. Is that right or am I missing something?

Quoted from j_m_:

if you have the right tools, its really not that much effort (as seen in that 2nd video)
btw, if you go to their link, you'll see that their product is just a bit overpriced for what it really is. $1,000 for a suped-up grinder? the same results can be achieved with 200, 400, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper and a decent belt sander. then just finish it off with the proper rouge and a buffing wheel
personally, I like the grained look (which is a lot easier to achieve with 200, 400 and 600 grit), but like every ball guide, you'll start seeing "ball trails" as the ball polishes that tiny portion where it makes contact with the guide over time

Ball trails in stainless are easily polished out.

I took one of the pieces I got in the mail and hit it with the buffing wheel. It did polish up nicely. The scratches polished up, too. This look may work for some of you. But if you want mirror finish you will need to sand with progressively finer grits of sandpaper---sort of like that 2nd video. Only you will have to do it all by hand because your parts are already roll formed and the rivets are installed. You will not do any machine sanding on that. It is all hand power, baby.

Plus, for the largest piece, the ball inlet guide at top of the play field, for safety's sake you need to make a wooden jig to screw it onto, otherwise you risk having the buffing wheel grab it, bend it, twist it, and throw it across the room and possibly make injury to you.

Can they be mirror polished? Sure. And I will have to do that. But I figure 4-5 hours of my time for each set. Figure $20.00 an hour, I would have paid a bit more for mirrored units.

The construction quality is simply fantastic ! The way the rivets are set on the backside very clean looking. If you have no problem with grained surface you will do fine.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ball trails in stainless are easily polished out.
I took one of the pieces I got in the mail and hit it with the buffing wheel. It did polish up nicely. The scratches polished up, too. This look may work for some of you. But if you want mirror finish you will need to sand with progressively finer grits of sandpaper---sort of like that 2nd video. Only you will have to do it all by hand because your parts are already roll formed and the rivets are installed. You will not do any machine sanding on that. It is all hand power, baby.
Plus, for the largest piece, the ball inlet guide at top of the play field, for safety's sake you need to make a wooden jig to screw it onto, otherwise you risk having the buffing wheel grab it, bend it, twist it, and throw it across the room and possibly make injury to you.
Can they be mirror polished? Sure. And I will have to do that. But I figure 4-5 hours of my time for each set. Figure $20.00 an hour, I would have paid a bit more for mirrored units.
The construction quality is simply fantastic ! The way the rivets are set on the backside very clean looking. If you have no problem with grained surface you will do fine.

Could you post a picture of the one you hit with the buffing wheel?

3 weeks later
#80 5 years ago

The ball guides are finished! The price on these will be $85 I'm looking at the 15th of June to start taking orders and ship. I will post a link to the web site when they are up.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

The ball guides are finished! The price on these will be $85 I'm looking at the 15th of June to start taking orders and ship. I will post a link to the web site when they are up.

Do I understand correctly that you'll have a purchase system on a website? You're not doing a direct PayPal order system here?

#82 5 years ago

There has never been a direct PayPal order system here. People are always referred to the web site when it's live to place their orders. We give private PMs so everyone that did pre-order can get their order placed before everyone else can place their order. Some people pre-order and when the guides are ready don't ever follow through. Two weeks after the last ramps were released people still had not placed their orders. Since it is a limited run Kerry doesn't want to get stuck holding stock when other customers are wanting to buy.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

There has never been a direct PayPal order system here. People are always referred to the web site when it's live to place their orders. We give private PMs so everyone that did pre-order can get their order placed before everyone else can place their order. Some people pre-order and when the guides are ready don't ever follow through. Two weeks after the last ramps were released people still had not placed their orders. Since it is a limited run Kerry doesn't want to get stuck holding stock when other customers are wanting to buy.

Gotcha - thanks.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

were you planning on posting pics to show how nice that they came out? (opposed to the crusty ones that I sent you for the donor set

#85 5 years ago

Pics will be posted on the web site as time permits. Kerry is very busy at the moment with other things.

#86 5 years ago

If you ordered a set of Seawitch ball guides and no longer need them LMK and I will take your spot

#87 5 years ago

I made a few extra sets. So order away.

Kerry - Mantis Amusements

#88 5 years ago

I placed my order. I hope i ordered the correct playfield lifts for Seawitch?

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

I placed my order. I hope i ordered the correct playfield lifts for Seawitch?

I just looked at my seawitch, these are the playfield hangers that you want to order:
https://mantispinball.com/product/stern-playfield-hangers/, not the ones that kerry has labeled as "Stern – Playfield Hangers (Older Games)"

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I just looked at my seawitch, these are the playfield hangers that you want to order:
https://mantispinball.com/product/stern-playfield-hangers/, not the ones that kerry has labeled as "Stern – Playfield Hangers (Older Games)"

Looks like I ordered the wrong ones. Sent Kerry a message. I hope he sees it!

#91 5 years ago

yeah, I'm not quite sure why he didn't list the games that each set were good for. he's usually pretty thorough about stuff like that

I almost did the same thing, but I went downstairs and measured mine twice before posting that reply with the link earlier

#92 5 years ago

Didn't get a PM about ordering but saw that there was a live purchase link for the ball guides, so went ahead and ordered.

#93 5 years ago

Can someone post the actual dimensions of a seawitch playfield hanger. That way I can make sure I have the right stuff to send out. Thanks in advance !!

Kerry - Mantis

#94 5 years ago

from my seawitch, please note the dimensions of the part, using your listing as a guide

stern playfield hanger (resized).jpgstern playfield hanger (resized).jpg

#95 5 years ago

The dimensions above match the stern playfield hanger . . . NOT the old stern playfield hanger.

#96 5 years ago

Alright guys! Most of you should have your guides by now. Can you please take the time to post your comments? Please be candid and let us know what you think. We want the good and bad. We have thick skin and tough egos. This will help us to provide a product we can be proud of and one you'll be happy to buy for your future projects.

Thanks!

#97 5 years ago

Honestly didn't look at them with a super critical eye. My originals are really grooved and tarnished so I figured this was one of those things that would save me a bunch of time to buy rather than repair. My Seawitch isn't even set up at the moment. I'm saving these and crossing my fingers that greatwichjohn comes through and delivers the last piece I need to complete my project - a new playfield.

#98 5 years ago

I received mine the other day but like pinheadpierre I didn't really scrutinize them. they definitely look a hell of lot better than the donor set that I sent you

my only comment would have been to run a lap brush over everything so that they arrive ready to install. on the guides that I received, there were more than a few scratches on the inside surfaces which will need to be polished out first

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I received mine the other day but like pinheadpierre I didn't really scrutinize them. they definitely look a hell of lot better than the donor set that I sent you
my only comment would have been to run a lap brush over everything so that they arrive ready to install. on the guides that I received, there were more than a few scratches on the inside surfaces which will need to be polished out first

We will note this and try to resolve in future runs. Thank you!

3 weeks later
#100 5 years ago

Order placed for both SeaWitch and Fathom! Thanks for producing these!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 199.95
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-stainless-steel-ball-guides/page/2?hl=paddlepaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.