(Topic ID: 298861)

Seawitch from scratch, Allentown edition (Bally/Stern multi-game platform)

By gdonovan

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,881 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240417_063054 (resized).jpg
20240417_062508 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858925 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858924 (resized).jpg
20240414_120632 (resized).jpg
20240414_120610 (resized).jpg
20240407_132248 (resized).jpg
20240405_065536 (resized).jpg
20240407_124243 (resized).jpg
20240407_123430 (resized).jpg
20240407_122531 (resized).jpg
20240405_065541 (resized).jpg
20240404_182152 (resized).jpg
20240404_065347 (resized).jpg
20240403_081625 (resized).jpg
20240402_201304 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #142 Converting Bally drop target assemblies for use with Stern targets. Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #213 Converting Data East LAH flippers to "classic Stern" use. Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #618 Seawitch, first gameplay video. Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #639 3d printed lamp shields Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #690 Cabinet decal work starts. Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #792 Seawitch, second gameplay video showing flasher operation. Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #794 Centaur "module" section begins. Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #796 Seawitch portion of project is complete. Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Post #802 Seawitch at Pintastic 2021. 500+ games in less than 48 hours! Posted by gdonovan (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 2 years ago

Hey, 1n4004 diodes cost money! They saved at least 1¢ by not putting them on, and probably 10¢ in labor costs.

#53 2 years ago

...and they're not consistent as to which terminal the bands go to.... I double check before I solder but even so I make mistakes sometimes. I haven't bought a new coil in years though as I usually have enough in my used stash.

#67 2 years ago

On my list of many classic stern related things to do is to retypeset all the manuals and add color photos on the front as well. (And all related paperwork, for the modified roms)

I'm about 30% done with flight 2000 and its modified ruleset paperwork. I need to retake the front picture with the better cameras of today as when I did it way back when it's just not clear enough.

The goal of that project is to get the manuals 100% corrected.

As for seawitch I've never felt the need to do anything at all to the software as I think it's just about perfect the way it plays now. MAYBE add an option to carry over the spinner lamps? One of the best early solid state rulesets... simple of course and not deep, but really fun nonetheless. (I pretty much ignore the spinner and go for the complete 2/3 or 3/4 drops after one drop to get the bonus ladder collect)

#92 2 years ago

I know you're using MSpaint but consider getting GIMP and putting the info on layers that way you can custom create final pics with different types of information on it.

#112 2 years ago

OK I see ONE thing that I'd change about seawitch'es software.... the attract mode is a little 'busy'

#119 2 years ago

I used to file the sockets a bit but I've found radioshack 'clear flux' solder gets the solder to stick great.... at least on new sockets.

Not sure what the flux etc. actually is but paste flux would work too (a little messy).

I'm experimenting with the little tabs and just screwing them down right now on my latest swap (which I need to get back to....)

#127 2 years ago

Pins 11 and 12 get connected together to interchange Bally/stern 7 digit displays.

1 week later
#187 2 years ago

I was looking forward to having pacman standup faces on the seawitch....

1 week later
#290 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm seriously thinking about generating new schematics with copious footnotes when this project is completed.

One of my many projects as well. Stuck in the redrawing the mpu200 stage.

I did retypeset most of the flight 2000 manual though to reflect the new ruleset.

#315 2 years ago

If you reset the hstd it will show 00. Until you play a game the players scores may or may not show anything if the memory was cleared to$ff it will be blank

#325 2 years ago

Some earlier weebly boards do not bring the door clear button to the mpu.

#337 2 years ago

I know because I reported it to Andrew a while ago and he confirmed it

1 week later
#392 2 years ago

The issue with the bottom mounted switches is when they get dead spots on them, or how much bounce they have when they reset. As long as they are clean and adjusted properly they're fine.

Because of the bottom mount and the way some people lift/move the playfields up and down though it can be easy to mangle the switches if you're not careful.

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When my DF came to me, one of the drops had the lower mounted switches.

The upper left bank is supposed to be like this because of where it's mounted - the backmount switches would likely hit the side of the cab.

I hope Mirco gets that PF out soon too, I really want a new PF for mine because like many, the face is messed up (along with my bad touchup).

1 month later
#677 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Popped a 2A fuse on the playfield fuse holder for the flippers, was undersized (WHOOPS!) should at a minimum be a 5 amp (7 amp at the rectifier board)

The stock under pf fuse is only for non flipper solenoids and should be 1 to 1.5 slow blow. If you have your flippers wired on the load side of that fuse yeah you'll need a larger one but any pf solenoid locked on might not pop it.

#704 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes I'm aware I can just burn the Weebly version, if I'm going to start popping chips on and off that MPU I should look into a ZIF socket.

The first thing I do with Andrew's board is put a ZIF in U1.... even when I'm done modifying the code in that game I leave it.

Quoted from Quench:

ZIF sockets have wide pins that don't fit into standard PCB sized socket holes. You'll have to solder the ZIF socket to a shortened pin header or other mating socket that will fit the board.

Not the Aries ones, they have nice round pins that pop right into the regular sockets.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/35/10001-universal-dip-zif-test-socket-337360.pdf

They don't work on every socket though, on my bally 6803 board the sockets must be too far recessed as the Aries ones just didn't make contact.

I have some of the other type you're describing and the leads are kind of flattened.

3 months later
#1092 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thank you for the feedback- To be honest I'm looking for something fairly simple to "just get the job done" I know anything overly complicated is just going to sit in a drawer unused or at best I'll use only one or two functions and ignore the rest.

The scope can make a complicated problem involving a couple of signals and timing a lot simpler, and sometimes really obvious, that you will tear your hair out for days trying to diagnose via other means. If you get good at using it for everything it might help you with regular stuff as well, but it's a lot of kit to move around. Best for bench setup where you're going to power up boards on the bench.

Most of the time it's not even needed to look at the scale of what you're measuring you can tell from a bad waveform shape or timing phase shift (or lack thereof) what component has the issue. But all the modern scopes will put the measurement right on the screen too.

I have an old analog one from the 80's as well somewhere.... probably way in the back of my bench area.

I upgraded to the Rigol consumer one that's about $350 nice to be able to screen shot to a usb stick.

1 week later
#1164 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Watched a bunch of videos on Star Gazer, pretty but the lack of slings down by the flippers don't interest me.

Stargazer has slings. They're above the scoopy-things by the flippers. They suck too, toss the ball in the outlane a lot of the time.

1 year later
#1795 65 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

My guess is it's a fail safe in case two balls are in the lower trough.

I'd agree with that. Bally multiball troughs always seemed like they tacked on stuff to get it to work although I don't remember Fathom having issues when I had one about 25 years ago. (Of course I had 2 of them way back before they exploded in popularity....)

Just looked at the code really quick, the switches when activated are ignored (they point to an RTS) - so that means there's a periodic routine running in the background that polls closed switches to make decisions on ball end/launch, etc. - the way it should be since you don't want a quick reaction on a switch that might have a ball rolling by it on the way somewhere else.

4 weeks later
#1848 35 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Still think Flash Gordon and Centaur are better games though at this point.

Flash Gordon > Centaur > Fathom

Best part of Fathom is the BG artwork. I'd probably like the game layout better if it didn't have those reversed outlanes. I almost universally despise games that have reversed outlanes.

#1850 35 days ago

It has some OK stuff. I'd even muddy it further by putting this in there:

Eight Ball Deluxe > Flash Gordon > Medusa > Centaur > Fathom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.