(Topic ID: 298861)

Seawitch from scratch, Allentown edition (Bally/Stern multi-game platform)

By gdonovan

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,572 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221126_142533 (resized).jpg
20221125_214612 (resized).jpg
20221123_165619 (resized).jpg
20221122_182020 (resized).jpg
20221121_160021 (resized).jpg
pin lot (resized).png
20221120_154551 (resized).jpg
407dd4252f8ac7ed (resized).jpg
20221117_171109 (resized).jpg
97d3664eb887dd84a3bb5978dc6583ec23a4986d (resized).jpg
20221115_184850 (resized).jpg
20221113_183845 (resized).jpg
20221112_180038 (resized).jpg
20221109_180434 (resized).jpg
20221109_163018 (resized).jpg
20221109_183537 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.
#1551 13 days ago

Looks like all this will be fully coming online not a moment too soon.

407dd4252f8ac7ed (resized).jpg
#1552 10 days ago

Hoping to get these up on Thursday, but not optimistic.

20221120_154551 (resized).jpg
#1553 9 days ago

As interesting as this looks, not a lot of meat on the bone. Might be able to get a better price as a lot buy but for some reason I'm doubtful and rather busy at the moment. My wife likes Bad Cats a lot, the other pins though are hard sells aside from maybe Black Knight.

pin lot (resized).png
#1554 9 days ago

Speaking of busy, Thursday is looking better by the minute. Need to make up 6 additional brackets and mark out the locations on the roof and it's go time.

20221121_160021 (resized).jpg
#1555 8 days ago

Pretty little support bracket, I love having a welder.

Panels are done, brother in law coming over after work tomorrow to help get them on the roof.

20221122_182020 (resized).jpg
#1556 8 days ago
20221123_165619 (resized).jpg
#1557 8 days ago

End of electrical labors finally in sight.

#1558 7 days ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Second set of panels are online!

#1559 6 days ago

1) Pull cable(s) to workshop. DONE
2) Breaker panel for 220V, outlets DONE
3) Third solar control & wiring, split off panels for workshop DONE
4) 12 panels, main roof (need to weld up framework, run PV wiring) DONE
5) 4 panels secondary roof, (need to weld up framework, run PV wiring) DONE

Been crazy the last 3 weeks! All this got done along with truck servicing, pallet racking for storage and Thanksgiving! The solar is done aside from some minor detail work (reseal one bracket, level one panel, change out one connector, shift 2 batteries from garage to house for more capacity) so maybe 2-3 hours here.

6) House control panel for inverter power control and status, emergency 12v lighting.

Already cut out spot in wall for panel as roof solar wiring passes through. Some challenges here due to old house construction. Also have to add in relays to swap well pump and furnace to solar in event of power outage.

7) Install emergency 12v lighting.

This will actually be the easiest part.

Have a great Friday everyone! Working today.

Gary

#1560 5 days ago

Third month bill is in, should go down more as I shift more over.

20221125_214612 (resized).jpg
#1561 5 days ago

Controller on left is for the 12 panels on house, afternoon sun. Controller on right, 16 panels, morning sun.

The morning sun panels will get upwards of 30 amps at peak, so far the 12 panel afternoon array peaks out around 20 amps. You can see at 230 in the afternoon the morning panels are slacking off while the PM set are just hitting their stride.

In the warmer months will generate even more amps due to axial tilt improving the sun/panel relationship. The 4 extra morning panels will be shunted to the garage system controller though it seems to be trucking right along on just 4 panels at the moment.

20221126_142533 (resized).jpg
#1562 1 day ago

Not going to bore you guys with daily updates, still plugging along till this is done. Wall ripped out, interior lined with sheetrock for fire safety, conduit holes in place attic & floor. Tonight hope to have the conduit installed and start pulling wire to it's final destination before wiring the panel itself.

#1563 1 day ago

Storming out and the transformer down the street just let go with a loud bang!

Wish I had the emergency lights wired but that is still at least a week out.

Currently the cold storage is running off the primary system bank and my computer and room lighting running off the garage bank

#1564 13 hours ago

Good Morning!

The garage ad hoc 12V battery bank was down to 60% from 90% at start this morning, most impressive. It had no problem powering the refrigerator all night and I'd say based on consumption the garage array & bank could power it indefinitely.

The main 24V bank was down to 42% from 66%, acceptable considering the main bank was already starting off from a deficient position due to rain and overcast all day.

#1565 12 hours ago

How long are you projecting that the solar system(s) will pay themselves off?

#1566 12 hours ago
Quoted from Quench:

How long are you projecting that the solar system(s) will pay themselves off?

Not really a factor in my thinking, though after the fact I calculated 3 to 4 years. With rates going up 50%, maybe less than that.

The primary goal of the system is to keep the basics running when the power goes out without firing up the generator. I had some extra money that would be best invested in something rather than sit in a safe and the off grid solar was it.

Any savings from reduction of load off the Eversource main grid is a bonus.

Last night was confirmation of my choices and I slept soundly and in silence not listening to a generator knowing everything was humming along.

#1567 10 hours ago

BOM of system- Note this does not cover "convenience items" like emergency lighting, garage wiring, remote switching and it is actually TWO stand alone systems (Garage and House) and my labor of course. Could have easily reduced the system cost over $1200 if the garage didn't have it's own system. The garage system however is where I came up with the rough blueprint for the main system.

$650 4 panel starter set with 40 amp controller and brackets
$300 two 40 amp solar controllers
$2790 28 100 watt panels
$732 24v power inverters, pure sine wave, 3x
$233 12V power inverter, pure sine wave
$120 10 gauge wire 100 foot
$10 copper wire lugs
$26 circuit breaker 3 pack 30 amp
$27 battery box pair (basement)
$40 Y branch connectors
$98 branch connectors, fuses, breakers
$51 Renogy cable set
$46 resetable breaker set
$56 zinc battery cable ends
$40 more zinc battery cable ends
$14 Solar PV cable terminal kit
$40 panel hardware (washers, bolts, etc)
$440 Steel for panel frames (home depot)

$5713 USD more or less for 2 systems.

One system has 1 40 amp controller, 1 12V inverter and 8 panels.
One system has 2 40 amp controllers, 3 24V inverters and 24 panels.

Optional hardware or related to project in some way but not required. There was A LOT going on with the solar being weaved into garage and house wiring changes.

$30 voltmeter 4 pack for batteries in various locations
$18 volt/amp remote display panel
$12 toggle switches, water control
$10 110v indicator lamps
$22 plug in volt display 110v
$17 hot water timer
$13 gang switch, emergency lights
$32 emergency lights (6)
$7 outlet plate quad
$10 circuit breakers auto reset, remote 12v batteries
$93 10/3 romex, garage wiring
$16 stainless wire clamps. garage wiring
$18 25 amp 2 pole circuit breaker, 220v garage wiring
$60 3 pole switching relays, main/solar control for refridge/well/sump pump
$10 wire 18 gauge, emergency lighting

$368 additional.

Note this does not cover the batteries which were purchased cash (half off) heavy gauge battery cable (already had on hand) and various other bits and pieces picked up over the years. Batteries in the garage are actually from various vehicles collected over the last year or two, 2 of the main bank batteries were massive FREE generator units from work (mandatory replacement after 4 years) Some of the panel framework is actually garage door reinforcement that was in my steel rack.

Note there is much there is much mention of fuses and circuit breakers, EVERY voltage line off the panel arrays has a manual on/off breaker AND a fuse. Always have your circuit protection set to protect the wiring at all times. 10 gauge PV panel wiring is good for 30 amps, since the individual arrays will never see that fuse values are set at 20 amps, well inside the safe limit of the wiring. Battery wiring is protected 100 amps which leaves a 30 amp cushion, also breaker and fuse protected. The inverters have their own built in current protection on the output side as well.

Cheap insurance that can keep your house from burning.

#1568 8 hours ago

What about compliance for the whole system?
Did you get it electrically signed off by a qualified electrician?
Does your home insurance company know you've installed it?

#1569 7 hours ago
Quoted from Quench:

What about compliance for the whole system?
Did you get it electrically signed off by a qualified electrician?
Does your home insurance company know you've installed it?

System is actually seperate & isolated from house wiring not to mention main grid. I did consult and have a qualified electrician who is a friend of mine eyeball everything for safety. Any chance of back feeding into grid is a no no.

Interesting question on the insurance, I'd say no and not overly concerned as they are next to useless. Utterly.

#1570 7 hours ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Interesting question on the insurance, I'd say no and not overly concerned as they are next to useless. Utterly.

*If* something happens, I hope the insurance company isn't going to use it as an excuse not to payout...
Can your buddy give you a certificate of electrical compliance?

Quoted from gdonovan:

Then what's the point being with them if they're utterly useless? Move to another company that will cover you.

#1571 7 hours ago
Quoted from Quench:

Then what's the point being with them if they're utterly useless? Move to another company that will cover you.

Insurance is problematic in this area for a number of reasons, no good options.

#1572 7 hours ago

Give you an example of insurance stupidity- Researched getting flood insurance for the house after some biblical storms several years back. The agent listened politely and told me that it was available but the insurance would not pay out unless you had three adjoining properties that were also damaged AND filed claims.

Since there is only ONE property bordering mine even if we were both destroyed by a tidal wave, insurance would not pay out a dime.

I keep the insurance pretty much if only something catastrophic happens like a hurricane or tornado. The company has made it clear that any "minor claims" will cause next years policy to triple or just get dropped altogether.

At least the local agent was honest about it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
There are 1,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!