(Topic ID: 298861)

Seawitch from scratch, Allentown edition (Bally/Stern multi-game platform)

By gdonovan

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,882 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240421_122121 (resized).jpg
20240421_112528 (resized).jpg
20240417_063054 (resized).jpg
20240417_062508 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858925 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858924 (resized).jpg
20240414_120632 (resized).jpg
20240414_120610 (resized).jpg
20240407_132248 (resized).jpg
20240405_065536 (resized).jpg
20240407_124243 (resized).jpg
20240407_123430 (resized).jpg
20240407_122531 (resized).jpg
20240405_065541 (resized).jpg
20240404_182152 (resized).jpg
20240404_065347 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,882 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 38.
#1101 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You swapped the power module with the one from Flash Gordon?

How many games of Seawitch have you tested on this config?

Switch matrix errors are not going to cause the MPU board to crash and lock up.

Have you swap the flipper coils over yet (left <--> right)?
How have you run the 5V wire for the strobe #5 signal pullup? next to the flipper wiring?

1) yes

2) a few dozen

3) ok, possible to crash if stray voltage or will that instantly take out a board ic?

5) 5v strobe #5 wiring is all stock, factory Bally harness till 12 pin connector breakout in backbox. One wire goes directly into MPU connector, other is tapped into 5v feed at MPU.

Flipper coils have been swapped out with known good units and diodes changed for good measure.

#1102 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

3) ok, possible to crash if stray voltage or will that instantly take out a board ic?

The resistors/capacitors on the PIA lines to the switch matrix are noise suppressors. Those signals pick up enough EMI from the coils that there's not a problem. If you had a 43V short into the switch matrix, that's different.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Flipper coils have been swapped out with known good units and diodes changed for good measure.

We know you replaced the cooked left flipper coil. Then mentioned the left flipper still dimmed the lamps more than the right flipper which indicates it's drawing a higher current surge from the transformer. This is why I'm mentioning to try swapping the left and right flipper coils.

In your mind is the issue only happening when flipping the left flipper?
Is it rebooting or crashing - did you wait long enough to see if the "crash" was just a reboot in the process?
Have you simulated the slam switch to familiarise yourself with the alarm sound?

What happens if you put the Centaur playfield in your Flash Gordon cabinet?

#1103 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

We know you replaced the cooked left flipper coil. Then mentioned the left flipper still dimmed the lamps more than the right flipper which indicates it's drawing a higher current surge from the transformer. This is why I'm mentioning to try swapping the left and right flipper coils.

I can try if you like, but it hasn't crashed out in 48 hours.

Quoted from Quench:

In your mind is the issue only happening when flipping the left flipper?

I would say when being observed 75% of the time, the other times seem random.

I'll try and capture on video if I can.

Quoted from Quench:

Is it rebooting or crashing - did you wait long enough to see if the "crash" was just a reboot in the process?

The MPU reboots- The playfield goes dead, displays dead and you can see the MPU led go through the 7 flash boot up process. Any sound effect that gets "stuck" during the crash continues till the MPU reboots. Once rebooted it enters attract mode and usually functions fine till the next crash.

Edit: No alarm sound is made when it crashes, usually the background sound or sound effect is heard till reboot..

Quoted from Quench:

Have you simulated the slam switch to familiarise yourself with the alarm sound?

Nope, I'd have to wire up strobe 1 and I-7, both which do not exist at the moment..

Quoted from Quench:

What happens if you put the Centaur playfield in your Flash Gordon cabinet?

Not a step I'd like to take yet if at all, I'd have to swap MPU's plus the playfield and wire the cabinet for strobe 5, plus no switch 21 for lane shift. I don't think the two 12 pin breakout molex connectors have the same pinout either.

#1104 2 years ago

I just got it to hard crash working the left flipper.

Displays dead
Soundboard stuck on background noise
LED on MPU out.

#1105 2 years ago

So todays adventures...

1) Relocated the switch stack for right flipper off the DE mount, it was catching on the apron time to time and causing it to not function. Not an electrical problem but mechanical.

2) While going over everything decided to bypass the TRIAC for GI. When in bypass, the lamps don't flicker a whit when flippers are worked. When hooked up they do. Hmm. Installed a different TRIAC picked up at a pinball show with a transformer, flickers less than the first one.

Grounds on the plate the TRIAC is mounted to is good, has three of them as a matter of fact right to the line filter.

3) Swapped out the solenoid expander and the aux driver board for the hell of it, no notable change.

4) The under playfield ball launch mech is a giant pain in the ass. Great when it works, not so much when it is acting up. Either a ball won't drop into the launch position and the board is too stupid to realize it or if it does will not make it all the way out the flap and roll back. On the rare off chance I catch it acting up it looks like the ball is getting spit into the "launch tube" and its bouncing back into the trough mech before another ball can takes its place.

5) Tested both tilt and slam circuit.

When ST1 and I7 are jumped it goes BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPP and reboots.
When ST1 and I6 are jumped it goes "Bad move human" and takes your ball.

Today is the first time I heard it go BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPP so I guess that answers your question Quench. Not getting a slam tilt.

Again I like this game, when its working a lot of fun and the multiball seems natural instead of "here have 6-13 balls thrown at you" for no particular reason. Having the underplayfield mech load and fire adds to the fun as you know they are coming.

#1106 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Then mentioned the left flipper still dimmed the lamps more than the right flipper which indicates it's drawing a higher current surge from the transformer.

When the TRIAC is bypassed, the lamps don't flicker at all. Something causing the TRIAC to not work proper? It is driven by lamp driver with a resistor on it but should be a non-issue. Plenty of people running Ballys with TRIACs and LED resistor boards and such.

#1107 2 years ago

Idiot proof as I can make Strobe 5. When the jumper is in place, normal operation for A4-J4-5. The outside wires connect pin 5 to A3-J4-11.

When Centaur is installed, the jumper is removed and Centaur Strobe 5 harness connector is plugged in. The center pin is 5 volts, the outer pin is the strobe return at pin 5 to MPU.

The jumper attached to harness so.it can't get lost of course.

20220215_091141 (resized).jpg20220215_091141 (resized).jpg20220215_092109 (resized).jpg20220215_092109 (resized).jpg
#1108 2 years ago

Current backbox picture.

20220215_105039 (resized).jpg20220215_105039 (resized).jpg
#1109 2 years ago

Finished side rail vs "field expedient "

20220215_133959 (resized).jpg20220215_133959 (resized).jpg20220215_134008 (resized).jpg20220215_134008 (resized).jpg20220215_134114 (resized).jpg20220215_134114 (resized).jpg
#1110 2 years ago

Has not crashed once today. Aside from neatening up the wiring, doing the connector mentioned above and replacing the left EOS switch nothing noteworthy done.

Parts are on the way from GPE for aux board repair along with restocking. Logic probe showed the U3 chip was disinterested in functioning.

20220215_144015 (resized).jpg20220215_144015 (resized).jpg

#1111 2 years ago

Played a few games this morning, no issues.

#1112 2 years ago

Decided to do something different tonight now that I'm at a point (can I get it working) to (refining the game) which is a good place to be.

Time to start working on the backbox lighting and the first of more than a few area dimming switches so various strips of lamps can be turned on and off depending on which backglass will be installed.

Quench called it on the display positioning! Flash Gordon and Star Trek may line up but Centaur is off a little bit. By good planning I routed out the connector openings to have enough wiggle room the displays can be adjusted as needed.

The wiring for the various controlled lamps has already been run over to the backbox board (Tilt / Tilt Warning / Match / Shoot Again / HSTD / Ball in play / Game Over) do I'll be getting them into position and the 3D printer will start churning out light shields.

Made a new rear panel for the mirror, no flashers on this one unless I can figure out a more elegant solution.

Ignore the off color playfield posts, a bunch were missing so I used what was on hand till the game is further along. Same with the drop targets, have a new set in the bag.

Did a through switch test and tweaked the #1 ball position switch, see if that has any effect on the misfiring ball loader.

Game still running fine, no reboots.

20220216_172309 (resized).jpg20220216_172309 (resized).jpg20220216_180104 (resized).jpg20220216_180104 (resized).jpg20220216_182300 (resized).jpg20220216_182300 (resized).jpg

#1113 2 years ago

Anyone want a Black Hole minus an MPU? I'm ready to set this one on fire.

#1114 2 years ago

So this morning I tried adding a Seawitch 1 ohm upper flipper resistor to the ball loading coil so see if the reduced voltage would produce a "softer hit" when loading. It did seemed to do so, but still pretty violent. I'm going to keep picking at this. It hiccups every third ball or so.

Still working perfect otherwise, no rebooting.

Tonight I'm going to mock up the light shielding so I can get the 3d printer belting out product. Toying with various connectors for the controlled lamps here to make it less cumbersome in the future.

#1115 2 years ago

Glad the rebooting issues seems to have been resolved. It was driving me crazy and this isn't even my project!

#1116 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Glad the rebooting issues seems to have been resolved. It was driving me crazy and this isn't even my project!

It seems to be, though the lack of definitive cause is going to irk me for awhile.

Swapped out flipper coils, replaced flipper diodes, replaced left coil with new coil, new left EOS switch, pulled flipper wiring from main playfield harness, checked all grounds, caps on the flipper switches and EOS switches, replaced TRIAC, swapped out MPU, SDB and A2 rectifier board.

#1117 2 years ago

Now we're cooking! Yes it clears everything, hinged and grounded. Plenty of room for the other sound boards now.

20220217_175534 (resized).jpg20220217_175534 (resized).jpg
#1118 2 years ago

Printing shields tonight! Only have to make one custom one so far but I think I'll have to do another custom one for the HSTD lamp. I'll start getting these done tonight. Also going to try something different in regards to controlled lighting instead of the yoppcycles.

Still playing fine this morning.

shield (resized).pngshield (resized).png

#1119 2 years ago

Anyone have the metal PCB standoffs for Bally Small Aux driver board or Cheap Squeak board? I need both.

Edit- 3d printed a set.

#1120 2 years ago

Red shields for Centaur.

20220218_184448 (resized).jpg20220218_184448 (resized).jpg
#1121 2 years ago

Good afternoons work!

1) Stripped all the Seawitch controlled Yoppcycle lamps from the backbox.

2) Located the Centaur backglass lamp locations and installed countersunk stapled in #47 sockets and wired with a quick disconnect.

The sockets actually sit below the surface slightly so I can put a raised lamp over them if need be or if they are in the right location just add to the Centaur connector. Since the credit display is in the same location for Flash Gordon/Star Trek/Centaur at least the Match and Ball in play lamps will be the same.

3) Started printing out Red lamp shields. Red goes well with Centaur and each game will be color coded to keep from mixing them up.

4) I seem to have fixed the ball loader issue, worked flawless tonight.

5) No crashes.

20220218_193015 (resized).jpg20220218_193015 (resized).jpg

#1122 2 years ago

3D Printer goes brrrrrrrrrr.

20220219_081336 (resized).jpg20220219_081336 (resized).jpg

#1123 2 years ago

Busy morning! Happens when you wake up at 3AM

1) Controlled lamps and wiring for Seawitch and Centaur is installed. Each game has its own color coded wiring for ease of repair. In this case white with a tracer for Centaur, yellow with tracer for Seawitch.

2) Most of the Centaur lightshields are in, printing the last one now.

3) You can see where two of the lamps for Seawitch are below Centaur display #4. Bulbs have to be removed for clearance when Centaur is in, the other 3 bulbs for Seawitch I just left in place.

4) Trimmed the door, looks nice and less chance of cutting through an edge.

5) Light board has a few new strips and another on/off switch.

20220219_094157 (resized).jpg20220219_094157 (resized).jpg20220219_094201 (resized).jpg20220219_094201 (resized).jpg20220219_094442 (resized).jpg20220219_094442 (resized).jpg20220219_095731 (resized).jpg20220219_095731 (resized).jpg20220219_100706 (resized).jpg20220219_100706 (resized).jpg

#1124 2 years ago

Pretty happy with the lighting aside from the center lower orb which is a little too bright now. I'm going to have to adjust that strip so its not so bright there.

Still working like a champ!

20220219_101115 (resized).jpg20220219_101115 (resized).jpg

#1125 2 years ago

Final backbox lighting and baffles, switch for turning the speaker over to Bally or Stern configuration.

20220219_162819 (resized).jpg20220219_162819 (resized).jpg20220219_162835 (resized).jpg20220219_162835 (resized).jpg
#1126 2 years ago

Things to do before Centaur is fully operational (rolled over)

1) Add harness and lane change switch to cabinet (DONE)
2) TRIAC for GI flashing circuit (DONE)
3) Repair TRIAC connector for Centaur harness. (DONE)
4) Install Aux Driver board, wiring for power and MPU control.(DONE)
5) Install Squawk and Talk Board, power and control lines. Modify board jumpers for EPROMS, burn and install. (DONE)
7) Speaker wiring- Different between Bally and Stern and have to figure out how to manage that smoothly, toggle switch. (DONE)
8) Extra strobe line (ST-5) for Centaur switch matrix, have to install bypass switch as line is used by SDB on some games. (DONE)
9) Clearance cabinet playfield support rails. (Maple obtained) DONE
10) Locate & install backglass controlled lamps, make light shields. (DONE)
11) Installed hinged backplain PCB board. (DONE)
12) Add lane shift switch to left flipper button, convert flipper switch stack to Bally from DE. (PASS) done 2-25-23
------------------------------------------------------

More stuff to do.

6) Lower cabinet harness (slight switch strobe line difference between Stern and Bally for coin switches and tilt) toggle switch (DONE)
13) Several switches need caps and I just ran out, doh! (DONE 2-22-22)
14) Repair aux board so all lamps work (3 out) DONE 2-22-22

Parts on the way from Ed.

15) Design and 3D print brackets for small AUX board, Cheap Squeak and Star Trek sound boards. (DONE) 2-23-22

Not bad. After this weekend I should be able to do a through cleaning of the playfield with fine tuning of all the switches, replacement of some posts and other hardware like the drop targets. Starting to get the hang of the game flow and the rules, I like it. Centaur is a game that rewards the player who can make precise shots. Not sure I'm going to do anything in regards to the reverb, sounds good just as it is but may experiment down the road.

The playfield I'm going to leave for the moment. My daughter is an artist and I'm going to touch base and see if she would like to try and touch up the areas that need attention and I'll clearcoat it next winter.

#1127 2 years ago

Perusing the wiring schematics this morning it looks like I have to switch Strobe 0 and Strobe 1 for the chute switch and tilt mechs to work properly WITHOUT moving the credit switch.

The credit switch for both Bally and Stern stays on Strobe 0.

This should be fairly straightforward to add the flip/flop switch as long as Strobe 0 goes to the credit switch first. So some minor wiring to do as I think it actually goes to the tilt bob before going off to the credit switch and coin door. Piece of cake.

Had no slam switch hooked up for Seawitch and not going to add one for Centaur either. If it was in an arcade somewhere a different story.

#1128 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

switch for turning the speaker over to Bally or Stern configuration.

You should mark it as a speaker switch to identify what it's doing.
How many game/platform specific switches are you going to end up with?

Quoted from gdonovan:

Had no slam switch hooked up for Seawitch and not going to add one for Centaur either. If it was in an arcade somewhere a different story.

If you're not putting in coin mechs then you can skip switching the strobe to the coin chute switches. I presume you're always going to enable freeplay..

#1129 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Actually planned on doing so later today with the addition of the "tilt switch"

Quoted from Quench:

How many game/platform specific switches are you going to end up with?

Fewer than you would think- Two in reality. One for the Strobe 0/1 and another for the speaker control. The Strobe 5 issue is handled with a connector.

The ones behind the backglass for the various light strips need no labeling. On or off to tune the lighting sources as you see fit for various backglasses.

Quoted from Quench:

If you're not putting in coin mechs then you can skip switching the strobe to the coin chute switches. I presume you're always going to enable freeplay..

Coin switches and mechs are present and fully wired when I built Seawitch. There is also a coin button inside the door. I wished to keep options open in case I install a stock -35 or Alltek MPU. I don't think the Alltek has free play on all titles, just some.

#1130 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Coin switches and mechs are present and fully wired when I built Seawitch.

You've wired your two coin chutes and "coin 1" and "coin 3", i.e. returns I0 and I1 for maximum coin/credit flexibility right?

Quoted from gdonovan:

Not sure I'm going to do anything in regards to the reverb, sounds good just as it is but may experiment down the road.

It doesn't sound right though, reverb adds to the dark character of the game. Some even install reverb on their other Ballys to give the voice more depth.

BTW, what happened to jumpering the S&T for future proofing all ROM configs?

#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

LOL, so true. I have made so many audio preamps and power amps for myself. Some of the tube gear has adjustable bias via a rotary knob and if I didn't create my own documents, I would never remember all the settings. On one preamp, I had an extra set of connectors. I couldn't remember what the hell it was for. I had to go back an look at my own documents

#1132 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You've wired your two coin chutes and "coin 1" and "coin 3", i.e. returns I0 and I1 for maximum coin/credit flexibility right?

Lawd no! Lol

Both chutes and coin button are on the chute one line.

Quoted from Quench:

It doesn't sound right though, reverb adds to the dark character of the game. Some even install reverb on their other Ballys to give the voice more depth.
BTW, what happened to jumpering the S&T for future proofing all ROM configs?

1) I have not ruled out reverb, just not a priority.

2) I'm on a tight timeframe and already behind a few weeks, cross that particular bridge later when required.

I have major spinal surgery coming up this spring and will be laid up a month to three months and trying to hustle along before the day of reckoning.

I'll be slamming into Quicksilver next and hope to get the Flash Gordon playfield final touch ups and clear coated done before then.

It can cure while I recuperate.

#1133 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

LOL, so true. I have made so many audio preamps and power amps for myself. Some of the tube gear has adjustable bias via a rotary knob and if I didn't create my own documents, I would never remember all the settings. On one preamp, I had an extra set of connectors. I couldn't remember what the hell it was for. I had to go back an look at my own documents

I own a race car I wired for fuel injection, I feel your pain on that.

#1134 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have major spinal surgery coming up this spring and will be laid up a month to three months and trying to hustle along before the day of reckoning.

Does this mean you might actually spend time playing to enjoy your games rather than just for testing?

Quoted from gdonovan:

Both chutes and coin button are on the chute one line.

Well, you could probably hook up both strobes to the coin switch (each strobe wire must have a diode). Activating the coin switch will close both points in the switch matrix. In game over mode it won't matter if you're doing this. If you're in game mode of course if you drop in a coin, a playfield switch will get activated at the same time.
i.e. you might be able to bypass needing to add an extra switch to configure the coin chutes for strobe #0 or #1.

Oh BTW, coin switch 3 is used on later Ballys (such as Centaur) to reset audits/score thresholds. i.e. it mirrors switch 33 on the MPU board in audit/score threshold setting mode so you don't have to open the backbox.

#1135 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Does this mean you might actually spend time playing to enjoy your games

I don't think I'll be standing much for a few weeks.

#1136 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Oh BTW, coin switch 3 is used on later Ballys (such as Centaur) to reset audits/score thresholds. i.e. it mirrors switch 33 on the MPU board in audit/score threshold setting mode so you don't have to open the backbox.

You got me thinking about that useless MPU button I installed for Sterns that Andrews MPU doesn't have traces for.

#1137 2 years ago

Works like a charm, first time I have heard Centaur state "energize me" when hitting the credit button so that was cool.

20220220_173326 (resized).jpg20220220_173326 (resized).jpg20220220_173348 (resized).jpg20220220_173348 (resized).jpg
#1138 2 years ago

Broke the shop vac out, major wiring is done!

#1139 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I don't think I'll be standing much for a few weeks.

How on earth are you currently doing all this work with a bung back?

Quoted from gdonovan:

You got me thinking about that useless MPU button I installed for Sterns that Andrews MPU doesn't have traces for.

Just solder in the missing wire trace/capacitor/resistor on the MPU board, problem solved!

#1140 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

How on earth are you currently doing all this work with a bung back?

Stubborn, been living with the pain a long time now and keeping busy keeps the mind occupied.

Can't kick the can down the road any longer though.

Pictures below? Mass in the center is my spinal cord. Bones in one of the segments is crushing it.

Quoted from Quench:

Just solder in the missing wire trace/capacitor/resistor on the MPU board, problem solved!

Make more sense to add a second test button inside the backbox next to the MPU so I can cycle through and clear with one hand. Anytime I'm using the clear audits button on the MPU its when I'm changing games so the backbox is open regardless.

Wiring the Weebly MPU doesn't help when a Bally program is running, it would ignore it.
20220220_211744 (resized).jpg20220220_211744 (resized).jpg20220220_211829 (resized).jpg20220220_211829 (resized).jpg

#1141 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Pictures below? Mass in the center is my spinal cord. Bones in one of the segments is crushing it.

Yeouch, literally..

Quoted from gdonovan:

Wiring the Weebly MPU doesn't help when a Bally program is running, it would ignore it.

It will work, Bally cannot ignore it. It's the same program/hardware feature on both Bally and Stern. Stern simply replicated the MPU S33 switch on the coin door for operator convenience. Whether you push the button on the MPU board or down stream on the coin door it's the same switch signals.

Ballys solution to save wiring another switch to the coin door was to code the feature so the coin 3 switch would also clear audits. But how many people actually know this? This feature appeared from version 35 of the Ballys U6 operating system. i.e. your Star Trek/Supersonic on version 30 don't have it.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Make more sense to add a second test button inside the backbox next to the MPU so I can cycle through and clear with one hand.

??? The Weebly board already has the self test button replicated on the MPU board. It's the "TEST" switch button near the J3 connector.

#1142 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

It will work, Bally cannot ignore it. It's the same program/hardware feature on both Bally and Stern. Stern simply replicated the MPU S33 switch on the coin door for operator convenience. Whether you push the button on the MPU board or down stream on the coin door it's the same switch signals.

Got it! For some reason stuck on thinking it was software.

Quoted from Quench:

??? The Weebly board already has the self test button replicated on the MPU board. It's the "TEST" switch button near the J3 connector.

That is too funny, lost sight of the forest through the trees and all that.

So focused on wiring that I have never noticed the button there.

Speaking of buttons a solution presented itself while sleeping and the work is already done.

Coin 1 on Stern (I0-S0) is actually Bally Coin 3 when the Tilt and Coin switch is moved to the Bally position as the strobe line is moved from S0 to S1.

#1143 2 years ago

Confirmed on the coin button works like a charm.

Replaced drop targets.

20220221_111526 (resized).jpg20220221_111526 (resized).jpg
#1144 2 years ago

Parts have arrived! Thanks to Ed (@g-p-e) for his great service and prices.

The Aux board is fully repaired and all the caps on the stand ups and rollovers have been replaced. Nice all the lamps are working now and all the stand ups when you get a quick hit!

At this point it will be another day or two before I call it good, few more things to tidy up before then.

#1145 2 years ago

Up early, rearranged the backbox lighting.

3D printer going.

Discovered in a game why it's good to have lane change on both flipper buttons! When you have a ball trapped on the one flipper with the switch during multiball and you have to decide to drop the ball to take advantage of lane shift.

I'll get that taken care of tonight.

#1146 2 years ago

I like it! Just have to drill some holes for the nylon stand-offs and were in business. I'll print out the bracket for the -51 soundboard when I get home.

Interesting thing about printing with ABS is you have to compensate for how much it shrinks when the print cools off, about 3 mm on the long edge in this case.

20220223_064633 (resized).jpg20220223_064633 (resized).jpg20220223_064650 (resized).jpg20220223_064650 (resized).jpg

#1147 2 years ago

Looks sweet! Second is printing out now.

20220223_163739 (resized).jpg20220223_163739 (resized).jpg20220223_163805 (resized).jpg20220223_163805 (resized).jpg
#1148 2 years ago

Fooling around with backglasses.

Gordon looks good, clearly the logo is not lit because I have not installed the animated lights yet. Ming looks odd because the game over light for Centaur is on.

Trek looks decent, surprisingly considering how shot the back glass is.

Skateball surprised, I may have to install more strips to even out the bands and drop the voltage a touch.

20220223_180150 (resized).jpg20220223_180150 (resized).jpg20220223_180210 (resized).jpg20220223_180210 (resized).jpg20220223_180235 (resized).jpg20220223_180235 (resized).jpg20220223_180303 (resized).jpg20220223_180303 (resized).jpg

#1149 2 years ago

That covers it with some room to spare.

Weebly MPU
Bally Solenoid Driver Board
Stern Lamp Driver board
Stern SB300 sound board (Seawitch & Quicksilver)
Bally Squawk & Talk (Centaur & Flash Gordon)
Bally AS-2518-51 (Skateball & Silverball Mania)
Bally AS-2518-50 (Star Trek)
Bally small and large aux driver boards
Bally Flash Gordon strobe unit

20220223_193225 (resized).jpg20220223_193225 (resized).jpg

#1150 2 years ago

So as of this morning the only things I have left to do for Centaur is lane shift on left flipper button, change out some posts, a follow up cleaning and change out "Ball One" microswitch. Still running into every once in awhile a ball not loading into the launcher and the launcher will cycle three times trying to launch a ball that isn't there. Worth trying a different style switch.

Of course I have not been able to really catch it acting up when I'm watching, but on a least one or two occasions it looks like the coil didn't even fire to try and load a ball which is curious. I hooked up a flasher for several games and you could clearly tell when the load coil didn't fire followed by the launcher trying to send a ball down the rails which isn't there.

@Quench, have you ever had the chance to look at the Centaur code and what is going on in this area? What are the steps the MPU takes when loading and launching a ball? You would think that the MPU not seeing a ball launch (switch mid subway) it would try and load a ball again but it never does.

I will be looking at the Quicksilver schematics with great interest this weekend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 169.00
$ 959.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,882 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.