(Topic ID: 298861)

Seawitch from scratch, Allentown edition (Bally/Stern multi-game platform)

By gdonovan

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,882 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240421_122121 (resized).jpg
20240421_112528 (resized).jpg
20240417_063054 (resized).jpg
20240417_062508 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858925 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858924 (resized).jpg
20240414_120632 (resized).jpg
20240414_120610 (resized).jpg
20240407_132248 (resized).jpg
20240405_065536 (resized).jpg
20240407_124243 (resized).jpg
20240407_123430 (resized).jpg
20240407_122531 (resized).jpg
20240405_065541 (resized).jpg
20240404_182152 (resized).jpg
20240404_065347 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,882 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 38.
#1051 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Tonight I'll hook up a meter and observe the 5V during gameplay.
Actually did this before work having 30 minutes to kill, never dropped below 5.10 volts. Played till it crashed, finally.
Playfield went dark, dead flippers. Hit the reset on the MPU and everything came back up. Started a game and started banging away on the flippers. Noted for some reason the left flipper seems to cause the GI to flash more than the right. Repeated hits on the left flipper caused it to crash out eventually.
I'll be back to looking at the zero crossing circuit tonight.[quoted image]

Good idea with the meter, but I would suggest a true DVM with a min/max feature. It is way more accurate and can show you real highs & lows. The low may dip faster than the cheap meter can react. Also, you could be having voltage spikes causing issues. May be able to catch with min/max, but I would suggest an oscilloscope to monitor if you own one.

#1052 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Good idea with the meter, but I would suggest a true DVM with a min/max feature.

I just tossed that on for a quick test, the 5 volt line looks rock solid. It didn't even twitch when the MPU threw up on itself this morning and that little display is pretty fast acting.

Hook up the Fluke when I get home and start doing some checking, I'm rather curious its biased on the left flipper.

With Seawitch it was rock solid but too many parts have changed out since then so almost like starting from scratch again, not to mention the Centaur harness could have some hidden issue itself.

Just need to break it down bit by bit.

Tonight going to look at A2-J3-9 which is the zero crossing 43 to the MPU. It runs uninterrupted from the rectifier board to the MPU connector. I'm going to be looking at the voltages at the A2 board itself and at the MPU.

The A2 board is new so a potential trouble spot as it is an unknown quantity. All the other coils don't seem to trouble the MPU board though so a low probability. So what is unique about the flippers that could be causing an issue? Stay tuned...

#1053 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Quench what do you think about adding a power switch to the harness that runs from the J5 header to the SB300? It clearly draws power from the MPU as there is a green led present. I was hoping to leave it plugged in working under the assumption the Bally code would not even know the card was there but never considered the power draw through J5.

First prove the SB300 is the problem by disconnecting it before adding a power switch. Bally has no concept of the SB300 so should never address it.

Is your solenoid driver board running a 3 amp regulator (LM323K) or 5 amp regulator (uA78H05)?

Quoted from gdonovan:

I'll be back to looking at the zero crossing circuit tonight.

A loss of zero crossing signal won't cause the displays to blank out, nor reboot back into a working state. With the game running you should technically be able to disconnect zero crossing then reconnect it and it should resume from where it was.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I just tossed that on for a quick test, the 5 volt line looks rock solid.

That LED meter isn't going to tell you much about voltage dips/surges in the milliseconds. Like Skidave said, you need something proper to log.

What happens when you put the Seawitch playfield back in and repeatedly hit the flippers?

#1054 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

First prove the SB300 is the problem by disconnecting it before adding a power switch. Bally has no concept of the SB300 so should never address it.

Is your solenoid driver board running a 3 amp regulator (LM323K) or 5 amp regulator (uA78H05)?

A loss of zero crossing signal won't cause the displays to blank out, nor reboot back into a working state. With the game running you should technically be able to disconnect zero crossing then reconnect it and it should resume from where it was.

That LED meter isn't going to tell you much about voltage dips/surges in the milliseconds. Like Skidave said, you need something proper to log.
What happens when you put the Seawitch playfield back in and repeatedly hit the flippers?

1) Ill disconnect the SB300 from the J5 connector and retest.
2) Not sure what is on the SDB regulator, its from Evil Kenevil if that is of any help.
3) The reboot was manual not automatic, I hit the reset button on the Weebly MPU after it crashed. Came right back up.
4) Won't be taking the step of reinstalling the Seawitch playfield until I'm done with harness modifications. Reinstalling Seawitch adds another layer of changes such as the MPU running at twice speed as well. I might be able to do that by this weekend, I have some connectors that need to be finalized and switches mounted.

Just so were clear- On the (weebly) MPU, if the zero crossing sags or is even removed it will cause the MPU to freeze? The reason I ask is this is very much looking like a crash event and it does not restart. Its acting very much like a bad CPU again but that was swapped out.

#1055 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

2) Not sure what is on the SDB regulator, its from Evil Kenevil if that is of any help.

The regulators been replaced on your board, more likely it's a 3 amper. I hope it's not a fake Chinese LM323..

Quoted from gdonovan:

Just so were clear- On the (weebly) MPU, if the zero crossing sags or is even removed it will cause the MPU to freeze? The reason I ask is this is very much looking like a crash event and it does not restart. Its acting very much like a bad CPU again but that was swapped out.

Zero Crossing is a service used to update game timers, refresh the feature lamps, read the switch matrix, pulse momentary solenoids and maybe some other game specific features. If you stop the Zero crossing these items are paused. The displays are serviced separately and shouldn't be affected (the MPU LED will tell you if the display service is still operating normally because it should be dim). If you then re-instate Zero Crossing the game should just resume from where it was paused.

So if you're losing displays and it takes a reset to bring the game back to life, your system had crashed.
A dip in zero crossing does not equate to a crash in my mind. Remember the wrong 4049B chip causes detection of Zero Crossings to be slightly misinterpreted yet the game still operates. Zero Crossing is used because it's a very precise timer based on double your line frequency (120Hz).

#1056 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The regulators been replaced on your board, more likely it's a 3 amper. I hope it's not a fake Chinese LM323..

I'll take a close up when I get home, but from a machine that was in storage a long time and my buddy just shotgunned new boards into it rather then take chances. That battery damaged MPU board I have been picking at on the bench is from the same game.

Quoted from Quench:

(the MPU LED will tell you if the display service is still operating normally because it should be dim).

MPU was LED was OUT at one point, like when the CPU was suspect.

I might tidy up the wiring by this weekend and for the hell of it swap the weebly MPU with an Alltek which illuminated the problem with Seawitch was the MPU, not any other of my work. Might help point in the direction I need to be looking.

#1057 2 years ago

Close up of regulator

20220210_152207 (resized).jpg20220210_152207 (resized).jpg20220210_152345 (resized).jpg20220210_152345 (resized).jpg
#1058 2 years ago

Very curious indeed!

Fired machine up, started game and hit right flipper several times. No problem.

Blocked EOS on left side and hit flipper button a few times, nothing. Verified hold coil was working by pushing flipper up.

Pulled block from EOS , hit left button twice and the machine went dead and the mpu rebooted itself.

Displays were dead.

When working the left flipper its notable the GI flickers more than the right side which almost doesn't flicker at all.

#1059 2 years ago

Also, does crash out with or without SB300 plugged in.

#1060 2 years ago

Playfield J2 connector lead. Centaur is plugged in, the .156 is for Seawitch. No adapter needed and a lot of Ballys use the same connector as Centaur.

20220210_184817 (resized).jpg20220210_184817 (resized).jpg
#1061 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

When working the left flipper its notable the GI flickers more than the right side which almost doesn't flicker at all.

Swap the flipper coils over. Or replace the diodes on the left coil first.

#1062 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Swap the flipper coils over. Or replace the diodes on the left coil first.

Yeah, wonder if you have a diode that is breaking down.

You probably dont have a bench gidital meter? And I'm assuming if you do, you dont have 4 wire resistance measurement model? I would be curious what those coil windings measure. And measured when hot after some flipping.

#1063 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Yeah, wonder if you have a diode that is breaking down.
You probably dont have a bench gidital meter? And I'm assuming if you do, you dont have 4 wire resistance measurement model? I would be curious what those coil windings measure. And measured when hot after some flipping.

No bench meter.

The odds of two coils (one original, one a known good coil) causing the exact same problem are extremely low, though not out of the realm of possibility. Diodes are worth a shot and will be first on the list to try.

At the moment I'm going to put this particular problem on hold so I can finish up wiring in the cabinet. Once the wiring and side rails are complete then swapping the Seawitch playfield back in becomes a reasonable option for testing. Too many jumpers and such in play at the moment.

The game didn't burp once last night after initial tantrum or two, I'm really liking the gameplay and the voice call outs.

#1064 2 years ago

This morning I fired up the machine and on the first game it tripped out right away, dead displays.

After rebooting itself (I did nothing) when I went to start a game it kicked the ball out.. and all the other coils including flippers were dead. After draining and on the second ball however everything was normal!

Very strange. I'm most curious to get to the bottom of this.

Finishing the harness work and reinstalling the Seawitch playfield to reestablish baseline is looking better by the moment.

#1065 2 years ago

Suggestions for a meter or scope that will do what I need to do for recording events? Looking at bench meters, I'd rather get a scope as being more versatile for more needs.

#1066 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Suggestions for a meter or scope that will do what I need to do for recording events? Looking at bench meters, I'd rather get a scope as being more versatile for more needs.

It's like motor oil, beer or any other topic that has multiple varieties of the same thing. One is not necessarily better than other. I will say this and others can chime in...for consumer home use, there are great products from Siglent, BK Precision, Rigol and so on that will compete with the Fluke, Keysight, Tektronix and extreme high end meters. All newer devices have USB that can data log to your PC and more. I believe some of the new Fluke hand-held DVM meters can now also data log.

As for scopes, I can't stand the small hand-held scopes. Yes, they show waveforms and measure values, but do not have the resolution of a true benchtop device. I still prefer analog scopes, but no use buying a used one unless you can put your hands on it first or know the seller. Rigol makes a good digital scope series along with other vendors in the consumer end. They have digital capture, logging to your PC, etc. I have a digital benchtop scope and it serves a purpose. But 90% of the time, I use my analog scopes.

My problem with [consumer] digital scopes is the lack of resolution. 10 bit or 12 bit DACs for scopes is just ok. Higher end scopes have more bits and way better resolution. That comes with a cost!

#1067 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

It's like motor oil, beer or any other topic that has multiple varieties of the same thing. One is not necessarily better than other. I will say this and others can chime in...for consumer home use, there are great products from Siglent, BK Precision, Rigol and so on that will compete with the Fluke, Keysight, Tektronix and extreme high end meters. All newer devices have USB that can data log to your PC and more. I believe some of the new Fluke hand-held DVM meters can now also data log.
As for scopes, I can't stand the small hand-held scopes. Yes, they show waveforms and measure values, but do not have the resolution of a true benchtop device. I still prefer analog scopes, but no use buying a used one unless you can put your hands on it first or know the seller. Rigol makes a good digital scope series along with other vendors in the consumer end. They have digital capture, logging to your PC, etc. I have a digital benchtop scope and it serves a purpose. But 90% of the time, I use my analog scopes.
My problem with [consumer] digital scopes is the lack of resolution. 10 bit or 12 bit DACs for scopes is just ok. Higher end scopes have more bits and way better resolution. That comes with a cost!

I'm thinking something in line with working on 30 to 40 year old pinball machines, preferably portable so I can get right in on a machine with troubleshooting like I am now. Full size tablet sized would be ideal and I can always data log to a laptop.

#1068 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm thinking something in line with working on 30 to 40 year old pinball machines, preferably portable so I can get right in on a machine with troubleshooting like I am now. Full size tablet sized would be ideal and I can always data log to a laptop.

Don't get a hand-held. You will be disappointed. The Rigol line is great, with lots of positive reviews. https://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/1000z/

Their entry level begins at $329 and is the size of a medium hardcover book. https://www.jensentools.com/rigol-ds1102z-e-digital-oscilloscope-100-mhz-2-channel-1-gs-s-24-mpts-ds1000z-e-series/p/31585.1

And if you want to look at a databus (for fixing MPUs), you can select a model with a 16 channel digital input option. Now you're talking turkey when it comes to MPU repairs!

#1069 2 years ago

Not a good night.

Replace the diodes on the left coil, swapped MPU with Alltek, swapped A2 board with factory Bally, unplugged all sound and aux boards and even swapped SDB board.

All for naught.

And as a final extended middle digit, one of the coil drivers failed on the Alltek SDB during gameplay.

On the final game with the Bally SDB back in place it had been off for awhile, I fired it up and about 2 minutes into a game hit a drop target, the knocker fired and all the lamps went out as it crashed again.

Off to bed. I'll toss Seawitch back in the weekend. I'm starting to suspect that someone retired this game for good reason.

#1070 2 years ago

How I'm feeling this morning.

2613607-S-A-Bodeen-Quote-Yeah-well-wish-in-one-hand-crap-in-the-other-and (resized).jpg2613607-S-A-Bodeen-Quote-Yeah-well-wish-in-one-hand-crap-in-the-other-and (resized).jpg
#1071 2 years ago

Really chafes my ass to be at this place but here we are.

Pulled Centaur out this morning, dropped Seawitch back in. Changed the settings on the MPU, cleared the audits...

Seawitch works perfect.

So Centaur playfield/harness apparently has some sort of problem, which really has my curiosity going now as it can be so random at times.

Not to mention what on the playfield could be taking the MPU down.

20220212_062601 (resized).jpg20220212_062601 (resized).jpg

#1072 2 years ago

Some good news here anyways.

20220212_125459 (resized).jpg20220212_125459 (resized).jpg
#1073 2 years ago

Teased the wiring for the flippers and outhole out of the harness, nothing. So far going over the playfield all I have found was a nick in the wiring for the left sling lamp not near anything and a switch lug folded over on a bracket. Clearly not grounded as the switch was functional.

I'm going to solder the wiring back in place but have it as a seperate harness for now.

20220212_134743 (resized).jpg20220212_134743 (resized).jpg
#1074 2 years ago

certainly sounds like a short in the PF... or a wrong ground wired up. peanut gallery is no help but good luck and thanks for sharing the journey.. it's an excellent read and your project is damn awesome

#1075 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

certainly sounds like a short in the PF... or a wrong ground wired up. peanut gallery is no help but good luck and thanks for sharing the journey.. it's an excellent read and your project is damn awesome

Thanks for the kind words, would not have made it this far without the excellent individuals on the board who share their experiences and knowledge.

Just found a cracked diode on the outhole while soldering the harness back in place, could not see it hiding in the hole it sits. Fingers crossed it's the culprit but I still have my eyes peeled for other sources of mischief.

May my journey here help and inspire others to persevere.

#1076 2 years ago

Video uploading.

#1077 2 years ago

Things to do before Centaur is fully operational (rolled over from previous page)

1) Add harness and lane change switch to cabinet (DONE)
2) TRIAC for GI flashing circuit (DONE)
3) Repair TRIAC connector for Centaur harness. (DONE)
4) Install Aux Driver board, wiring for power and MPU control.(DONE)
5) Install Squawk and Talk Board, power and control lines. Modify board jumpers for EPROMS, burn and install. (DONE)
6) Lower cabinet harness (slight switch strobe line difference between Stern and Bally for coin switches and tilt) toggle switch
7) Speaker wiring- Different between Bally and Stern and have to figure out how to manage that smoothly, toggle switch.
8) Extra strobe line (ST-5) for Centaur switch matrix, have to install bypass switch as line is used by SDB on some games. (DONE)
9) Clearance cabinet playfield support rails. (Maple obtained) temporary done to originals.
------------------------------------------------------

More stuff to do.

10) Several switches need caps and I just ran out, doh!
11) Locate backglass controlled lamps, make light shields.
12) Add lane shift switch to left flipper button, convert flipper switch stack to Bally from DE.
13) Repair aux board so all lamps work (3 out)
14) Installed hinged backplain PCB board.

In regards to the "flipper and outhole harness"; it was separated from the main harness, any repaired areas which had been heat shrinked got a second layer of heatshrink in case there was a solder whisker poking through and was tie wrapped to the main harness following the original run. The outhole diode was changed out, my last cap went on the stand up for the right side drop target trip and all switches, lamps and coil lugs were closely examined for anything abnormal. EOS switches for the flippers were adjusted for good measure.

#1079 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

7) Speaker wiring- Different between Bally and Stern and have to figure out how to manage that smoothly, toggle switch.

If you've got no intention of ever installing a Stern SB100 sound based game, just install the speaker the way Bally does with the 5 watt wirewound potentiometer at the door. No need for a switch.

There's something weird about your bonus countdown collect, it's happening slower than normal.

#1080 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you've got no intention of ever installing a Stern SB100 sound based game, just install the speaker the way Bally does with the 5 watt wirewound potentiometer at the door. No need for a switch.
There's something weird about your bonus countdown collect, it's happening slower than normal.

There is a switch at the speaker to toggle between the Bally feed or Stern feed. Each has it's own wiring and volume control.

I have no frame of reference having only played Centaur at Allentown, can't recall. Could always burn some eproms to test with a real -35 to see if it changes.

Quench do you think a bad diode connection on the outhole is enough to crash the MPU? It is an unusual setup run through the solenoid expander. A scope here would be interesting to see the induced voltage created.

#1081 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Don't get a hand-held. You will be disappointed. The Rigol line is great, with lots of positive reviews. https://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/1000z/
Their entry level begins at $329 and is the size of a medium hardcover book. https://www.jensentools.com/rigol-ds1102z-e-digital-oscilloscope-100-mhz-2-channel-1-gs-s-24-mpts-ds1000z-e-series/p/31585.1
And if you want to look at a databus (for fixing MPUs), you can select a model with a 16 channel digital input option. Now you're talking turkey when it comes to MPU repairs!

Thank you for the feedback- To be honest I'm looking for something fairly simple to "just get the job done" I know anything overly complicated is just going to sit in a drawer unused or at best I'll use only one or two functions and ignore the rest.

I have been using Photoshop for decades now (same version as a matter of fact) and there are STILL a number of functions I have not mastered let alone explored for the simple fact I have not needed too. Just the way I'm wired and with a lot of different things on my plate, little time for extensive studies 50% of which I'll forget by the time I could put them into practice years later.

#1082 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

There is a switch at the speaker to toggle between the Bally feed or Stern feed. Each has it's own wiring and volume control.

The Bally volume control will work with the Stern sound board. You could preset the Stern volume wires with a resistor avoiding having two volume controls. Sterns implementation is better but you cannot use it with Ballys setup.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Quench do you think a bad diode connection on the outhole is enough to crash the MPU? It is an unusual setup run through the solenoid expander.

You said the crashing was happening from repeatedly hitting the left flipper. Where does the outhole activation come into the equation?

#1083 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Bally volume control will work with the Stern sound board. You could preset the Stern volume wires with a resistor avoiding having two volume controls. Sterns implementation is better but you cannot use it with Ballys setup.

Already setup and moved along to next problem, 2 volume controls the least of my worries and planned for. I may or may not have an SB100 game installed in the future, best plan ahead.

Quoted from Quench:

You said the crashing was happening from repeatedly hitting the left flipper. Where does the outhole activation come into the equation?

Correct: The only issue I can say with certainty when I went over the playfield wiring was a broken diode connection at the outhole coil. Maybe vibration from flipper actuation was rattling the connection. Game played flawless last night after being reinstalled.

Edit: flawless aside from some stand ups not registering quick hits due to missing caps.

#1084 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Correct: The only issue I can say with certainty when I went over the playfield wiring was a broken diode connection at the outhole coil. Maybe vibration from flipper actuation was rattling the connection.

When the outhole isn't being activated it's an open circuit so it's not the outhole diode causing it.
BTW, the outhole coil has nothing to do with the solenoid expander. The expander is there as a high current switch for the multi-ball kicker coil to the playfield.

What's the story with the level of light dim when you hit the left flipper now?

#1085 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

When the outhole isn't being activated it's an open circuit so it's not the outhole diode causing it.
BTW, the outhole coil has nothing to do with the solenoid expander. The expander is there as a high current switch for the multi-ball kicker coil to the playfield.

Ah, you are correct! Looking at the Centaur SDB schematic this is more clear.

Quoted from Quench:

What's the story with the level of light dim when you hit the left flipper now?

Same as the right, little to no change.

I have nothing else to put my finger on. The only things found were the outhole diode and a nick in a slingshot lamp wire.

#1086 2 years ago

Spoke too soon; five games in this morning the gameplay stopped and the MPU rebooted itself. I have the head open so can clearly see the MPU led go through the cycle.

#1087 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Spoke too soon; five games in this morning the gameplay stopped and the MPU rebooted itself.

Did you get the slam alarm sound? Activate the slam switch to hear it and memorise it.

#1088 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did you get the slam alarm sound? Activate the slam switch to hear it and memorise it.

Nope.

No sound at all, playfield just went dark and everything goes dead till reboot is complete and then you are back in attract mode if the mpu isn't hard locked requiring a power cycle.

When the slam is activated it will go "no class human" and the game pauses till ball drains and it continues. You lose the ball in play.

I did notice the GI seemed to be flickering during flipper activation again. Tempted to bypass the TRIAC to see if related.

#1089 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thank you for the feedback- To be honest I'm looking for something fairly simple to "just get the job done" I know anything overly complicated is just going to sit in a drawer unused or at best I'll use only one or two functions and ignore the rest.
I have been using Photoshop for decades now (same version as a matter of fact) and there are STILL a number of functions I have not mastered let alone explored for the simple fact I have not needed too. Just the way I'm wired and with a lot of different things on my plate, little time for extensive studies 50% of which I'll forget by the time I could put them into practice years later.

All newer scopes have the 'Auto' button. Will set everything 95% for you. Not much fiddling needed, which is nice for the user.

20220213_100427 (resized).jpg20220213_100427 (resized).jpg
#1090 2 years ago

Just my opinion, but I would work backwards and list the items that would cause a MPU to reboot or act like a reboot.
5V issue
Slam switch
Something causing SDB to react and screw up the 5V supply

#1091 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

When the slam is activated it will go "no class human" and the game pauses till ball drains and it continues. You lose the ball in play.

No, you're confusing "tilt" with "slam tilt". They are different switches. I'm guessing you haven't bothered wiring up a slam tilt switch which plays an alarm sound and resets the game.

#1092 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The scope can make a complicated problem involving a couple of signals and timing a lot simpler, and sometimes really obvious, that you will tear your hair out for days trying to diagnose via other means. If you get good at using it for everything it might help you with regular stuff as well, but it's a lot of kit to move around. Best for bench setup where you're going to power up boards on the bench.

Most of the time it's not even needed to look at the scale of what you're measuring you can tell from a bad waveform shape or timing phase shift (or lack thereof) what component has the issue. But all the modern scopes will put the measurement right on the screen too.

I have an old analog one from the 80's as well somewhere.... probably way in the back of my bench area.

I upgraded to the Rigol consumer one that's about $350 nice to be able to screen shot to a usb stick.

#1093 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

No, you're confusing "tilt" with "slam tilt". They are different switches. I'm guessing you haven't bothered wiring up a slam tilt switch which plays an alarm sound and resets the game.

There is a slam switch on the bottom of the playfield is there not?

The regular tilt has not been setup yet for Bally, nor is there any slam switch on the door or cabinet.

#1094 2 years ago

Looking into the manual, you might be onto something.

It states slamming the machine causes feature lights to go out, the game goes dead and a time delay occurs. The game restarts with a power up tune and game over light, so clearly rebooted.

Very, very curious.

And the flipper wiring runs along that strobe line in the cabinet I think.

#1095 2 years ago

Well that line of thought was a dead end.

Strobe 1 is prewired but does not hook to anything yet and terminates in the lower cabinet as you see it. Just to be safe, I removed the wire from the MPU J3-3 connector in case there was some bizarre electrical noise on the line making the MPU angry. The other end of the slam switch chain is J3-16 which has never been populated.

Has not crashed once this afternoon, but I'm not about to hold my breath. Until the problem is found, it isn't fixed.

20220213_165911 (resized).jpg20220213_165911 (resized).jpg

#1096 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

There is a slam switch on the bottom of the playfield is there not?

No. That playfield switch is wired as a regular tilt.
Slam tilt switches are on the front door and the tilt panel in the cabinet.
The slam tilt will always software reset, if you're still getting crash/lockups the problem is elsewhere.

Quoted from gdonovan:

The other end of the slam switch chain is J3-16 which has never been populated.

Don't forget the slam switch is just one in the matrix which you could be getting ghost results from the playfield.

Have you tried another solenoid driver board? You've also replaced the power module (transformer/rectifier board) so the different components go beyond just the Centaur playfield.

#1097 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have you tried another solenoid driver board? You've also replaced the power module (transformer/rectifier board) so the different components go beyond just the Centaur playfield.

MPU, SDB and A2 board have all been swapped.

Same results.

Works perfect with Seawitch.

I'm almost to the point I want to replace every diode on the playfield but there has been no real rhyme or reason to the problem aside from it seems main flipper related. Maybe. On at least one occasion it crashed after hitting a drop target but that was proceeded by a flipper strike.

#1098 2 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Just my opinion, but I would work backwards and list the items that would cause a MPU to reboot or act like a reboot.
5V issue
Slam switch
Something causing SDB to react and screw up the 5V supply

1) Same power supply as Seawitch, swapped out SDB and it does the same thing. Perfect with Seawitch, not with Centaur.
2) No slam switch, wiring physically not there.
3) I'm leaning in this direction but at a loss for the moment as to what.

#1099 2 years ago

Played a few games this morning.. no problem at all crashing. Strobe 1 still out of connector.

After a game or two added caps to flipper switches for arc suppression. Figured it could not hurt and extend the life of the switches. Seawitch never faltered without them so no illusions this is a fix, just an upgrade.

#1100 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

A2 board have all been swapped.

You swapped the power module with the one from Flash Gordon?

Quoted from gdonovan:

Works perfect with Seawitch.

How many games of Seawitch have you tested on this config?

Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm almost to the point I want to replace every diode on the playfield

Switch matrix errors are not going to cause the MPU board to crash and lock up.

Quoted from gdonovan:

but that was proceeded by a flipper strike.

Have you swap the flipper coils over yet (left <--> right)?

How have you run the 5V wire for the strobe #5 signal pullup? next to the flipper wiring?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 179.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 1,882 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/22?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.