(Topic ID: 298861)

Seawitch from scratch, Allentown edition (Bally/Stern multi-game platform)

By gdonovan

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,881 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 hours ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240417_063054 (resized).jpg
20240417_062508 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858925 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8128739_3858924 (resized).jpg
20240414_120632 (resized).jpg
20240414_120610 (resized).jpg
20240407_132248 (resized).jpg
20240405_065536 (resized).jpg
20240407_124243 (resized).jpg
20240407_123430 (resized).jpg
20240407_122531 (resized).jpg
20240405_065541 (resized).jpg
20240404_182152 (resized).jpg
20240404_065347 (resized).jpg
20240403_081625 (resized).jpg
20240402_201304 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 38.
#51 2 years ago

Hey, 1n4004 diodes cost money! They saved at least 1¢ by not putting them on, and probably 10¢ in labor costs.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Hey, 1n4004 diodes cost money! They saved at least 1¢ by not putting them on, and probably 10¢ in labor costs.

It’s weird because some I’ve bought from them have them and some don’t.

#53 2 years ago

...and they're not consistent as to which terminal the bands go to.... I double check before I solder but even so I make mistakes sometimes. I haven't bought a new coil in years though as I usually have enough in my used stash.

#54 2 years ago

Work is tight in spots!

Dick move on Sterns part, they start recycling color codes! Upper spinner lamp and stand up lamp both yellow/green!

Can someone confirm double loop value (2× loop value on playfield) are hooked to each other, blue/white to A5J1-23? Thanks!

20210821_131538 (resized).jpg20210821_131538 (resized).jpg20210821_140511 (resized).jpg20210821_140511 (resized).jpg

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Work is tight in spots!
Dick move on Sterns part, they start recycling color codes! Upper spinner lamp and stand up lamp both yellow/green!
Can someone confirm double loop value (2× loop value on playfield) are hooked to each other, blue/white to A5J1-23? Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I can confirm I have a blu-W wire crossing between of the double loop value arrows. And this Blu-W wire travels to LDA J1-23.

Per print, Spinner lamp is YEL-G and travels to LDA J3-2

Per print, Left SU target is Y-G or Yel-G and travels to LDA J1-7

#56 2 years ago

A few people have mentioned using this product for filling inserts, thought I'd give it a try.

20210821_163551 (resized).jpg20210821_163551 (resized).jpg20210821_163605 (resized).jpg20210821_163605 (resized).jpg
#57 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I can confirm I have a blu-W wire crossing between of the double loop value arrows. And this Blu-W wire travels to LDA J1-23.
Per print, Spinner lamp is YEL-G and travels to LDA J3-2
Per print, Left SU target is Y-G or Yel-G and travels to LDA J1-7

Thank you sir!

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

A few people have mentioned using this product for filling inserts, thought I'd give it a try.

Interesting. Keep us posted on how this stuff works. Is this something that could brushed on insert flameouts to prevent further wear?

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Interesting. Keep us posted on how this stuff works. Is this something that could brushed on insert flameouts to prevent further wear?

On that I don't know, I do know one or two people have done or tried doing complete playfields with the stuff. I'm more interested in just filling divots and insert edges. Manufacture states can be sanded in 24 hours and can be covered by auto clear or put over auto clear. I have no problem drawing some from a quart and using a dropper to fill. Very easy and controllable, more than Spraymax 2K is when doing fills.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I just did a meteor with it and if I hadn’t fucked up the sanding of it it would have turned out really nice.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

and if I hadn’t fucked up the sanding of i

How did you do that? What did you do wrong?

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How did you do that? What did you do wrong?

Power sander just too long in one spot melted a bit of the clear. Rookie mistakes. Overall though happy with the product.

#63 2 years ago

I'm at work today for the hurricane so the work station and printer goes brrrrr.

Here you go, half assed cover for Seawitch manual.

Just used MS paint or whatever is on this workstation, maybe I'll do something nicer when I'm home and have access to Photoshop.

catalog file (resized).jpgcatalog file (resized).jpg

20210822_090141 (resized).jpg20210822_090141 (resized).jpg

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm at work today for the hurricane so the work station and printer goes brrrrr.
Here you go, half assed cover for Seawitch manual.
Just used MS paint or whatever is on this workstation, maybe I'll do something nicer when I'm home and have access to Photoshop.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I think I have an extra original Seawitch manual if you are interested. They used to show up on Ebay but I think they are getting harder to find now.

I have ordered reprints of many of the classic Stern manuals, and in some cases, find them blurry and hard to read.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think I have an extra original Seawitch manual if you are interested. They used to show up on Ebay but I think they are getting harder to find now.
I have ordered reprints of many of the classic Stern manuals, and in some cases, find them blurry and hard to read.

Appreciate the offer but the downloadable copy works fine for me! I was just dinking around while at work. Quiet while the storm rolls in.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

As of this morning this had set nicely, still not fully cured yet. I could fingerprint the surface with ease and it would
"fade out" in a minute or two. See what it is like tonight. Did not note any shrinking.

#67 2 years ago

On my list of many classic stern related things to do is to retypeset all the manuals and add color photos on the front as well. (And all related paperwork, for the modified roms)

I'm about 30% done with flight 2000 and its modified ruleset paperwork. I need to retake the front picture with the better cameras of today as when I did it way back when it's just not clear enough.

The goal of that project is to get the manuals 100% corrected.

As for seawitch I've never felt the need to do anything at all to the software as I think it's just about perfect the way it plays now. MAYBE add an option to carry over the spinner lamps? One of the best early solid state rulesets... simple of course and not deep, but really fun nonetheless. (I pretty much ignore the spinner and go for the complete 2/3 or 3/4 drops after one drop to get the bonus ladder collect)

#68 2 years ago

These should be on the way soon.

IMG_5296 (resized).jpgIMG_5296 (resized).jpg
#69 2 years ago

Slightly less hacky manual cover.

NEW_MANUAL_COVER (resized).jpgNEW_MANUAL_COVER (resized).jpg
#70 2 years ago

Update on the Diamond clear: Still pretty soft, so much so I used a razor blade to dig an imperfection out of one of the inserts with ease and refilled with new product. Would recommend letting what you are filling to set at least a few days, the manufactures statement of 24 hours might be optimistic under best conditions.

For reference, the lamp wiring from the back edge of the playfield to lamp board connector is 64 inches. I came up with this number to work with after measuring the Mr. and Mrs. Pac-man harness that will be used in Flash Gordon and after test fitting in cabinet looks good. You might be able to go a little bit shorter but might be pushing your luck when standing the playfield upright.

The last of the parts I need will be on the way!

IMG_5302 (resized).jpgIMG_5302 (resized).jpg
#71 2 years ago

Shout out to board member Brian3120 whom I have purchased several parts from, great service!

Checked the clear I dipped into an insert a day and half ago, seems to solidified nicely. I don't think it is 100% yet but thats fine as I don't plan to sand it flat till I'm done with the bulk of the playfield wiring.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Update on the Diamond clear: Still pretty soft, so much so I used a razor blade to dig an imperfection out of one of the inserts with ease and refilled with new product. Would recommend letting what you are filling to set at least a few days, the manufactures statement of 24 hours might be optimistic under best conditions.
For reference, the lamp wiring from the back edge of the playfield to lamp board connector is 64 inches. I came up with this number to work with after measuring the Mr. and Mrs. Pac-man harness that will be used in Flash Gordon and after test fitting in cabinet looks good. You might be able to go a little bit shorter but might be pushing your luck when standing the playfield upright.
The last of the parts I need will be on the way!
[quoted image]

Is that Bally or Stern lockbar and receiver?

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is that Bally or Stern lockbar and receiver?

Bally.

#74 2 years ago

I'm really hating Stern right now.

Not only do the wiring diagram have stuff missing but no 2 machine agree on color codes!

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm really hating Stern right now.
Not only do the wiring diagram have stuff missing but no 2 machine agree on color codes!

Stuff missing ? Wait until you look at a Catacomb print.

What road blocks are you running into ?

Oh, are talking about how the inlane/outlanes on Big Game have different colors of wires than Seawitch does on its inlanes/ outlanes? That kind of stuff?

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Stuff missing ? Wait until you look at a Catacomb print.
What road blocks are you running into ?
Oh, are talking about how the inlane/outlanes on Big Game have different colors of wires than Seawitch does on its inlanes/ outlanes? That kind of stuff?

Colors in print not matching bits on playfield sockets and sometimes not matching pinwiki either.

I'm working through it. Have the four spinner lamps and 3 lamps for center drops and I can start pinning connector.

Flipping blue with white tracer used three times! Must have been on sale.

#77 2 years ago

Amazing work! Following. What an undertaking!

Chris

#78 2 years ago

Controlled lamps are complete.

I'll start pinning the connectors tomorrow so I can plug into Fireball for a light show but they have all been tested with a battery.

20210823_182913 (resized).jpg20210823_182913 (resized).jpg

#79 2 years ago

Last of the parts is on the way!

#80 2 years ago

Did not expect you to move this swiftly.

#81 2 years ago

Something I'm working on for the next poor schmuck.

LAMP CHART (resized).jpgLAMP CHART (resized).jpg
#82 2 years ago

It pleases me greatly to see this playfield going to good use. I think you bought this from me about 2 minutes after I bought it on a pre-arranged deal when it wouldn't fit in my van. It looks much better coming to life than it would on my wall. Congrats, my apologies to your wife, and good luck!

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It pleases me greatly to see this playfield going to good use. I think you bought this from me about 2 minutes after I bought it on a pre-arranged deal when it wouldn't fit in my van.

You are correct sir

#84 2 years ago

If someone could be so kind to eyeball this to see if there is any errors so far, I'll work on it again at break time.

Runaway Special is the only one I'm unsure about.

Gary

LAMP CHART_V2 (resized).jpgLAMP CHART_V2 (resized).jpg
#85 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It pleases me greatly to see this playfield going to good use. I think you bought this from me about 2 minutes after I bought it on a pre-arranged deal when it wouldn't fit in my van. It looks much better coming to life than it would on my wall. Congrats, my apologies to your wife, and good luck!

That was you? I would have chatted longer, though we were already pressed for time.

My wife is a trooper and most of the work is getting done when she is either at work or sleeping. I'm a VERY early riser and will amble off to the workshop while she is still out cold. This morning I started separating lamp runs into connectors J1/J2/J3 so I can start stripping and crimping. That when I had the idea it would be so nice to have a lamp chart and started banging away on that.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If someone could be so kind to eyeball this to see if there is any errors so far, I'll work on it again at break time.
Runaway Special is the only one I'm unsure about.
Gary
[quoted image]

Runway Special is a yellow wire in my Seawitch play field. I have not traced the wire to its connecting pin.

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Runway Special is a yellow wire in my Seawitch play field. I have not traced the wire to its connecting pin.

Is that particular insert Runway Special?

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Is that particular insert Runway Special?

It just says Special on my play field, but it is the Runway Special. Sitting behind that upper right hand flipper.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It just says Special on my play field, but it is the Runway Special. Sitting behind that upper right hand flipper.

Thank you! Think I'm starting to get the hang of the MS paint tool.

LAMP CHART_V4 (resized).jpgLAMP CHART_V4 (resized).jpg
#90 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Thank you! Think I'm starting to get the hang of the MS paint tool.
[quoted image]

You are doing nice work here, but I would like art make a suggestion. By the time you get every insert marked out on that drawing it risks being a clogged up mess.

Some of the inserts are easy to figure out what is being talked about in the print.

Example:

Up top, do Blue Light left side and Blue Light right side. The remainder can be figured out.

The "Blue Roll-Over lite switch is confusing and needs hi lighted.

Do Bonus 1000 and Bonus 9000. The rest can be figured out.

I'm confused about "Game Over". This must be for the Game Over on the back box. I do not see any Game Over on the play field.

It is just a suggestion to keep your work from getting too clogged up and hard to head. IMO.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

By the time you get every insert market out on that drawing it risks being a clogged up mess.

I'm already working on reducing clutter on the print, work in progress!

Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm confused about "Game Over". This must be for the Game Over on the back box.

Yes there is several items for the backbox noted, which I'll expand on when I'm done going over the playfield.

Version 5

LAMP CHART_V5 (resized).jpgLAMP CHART_V5 (resized).jpg
#92 2 years ago

I know you're using MSpaint but consider getting GIMP and putting the info on layers that way you can custom create final pics with different types of information on it.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I know you're using MSpaint but consider getting GIMP and putting the info on layers that way you can custom create final pics with different types of information on it.

I'm just goofing off at work.

Thought I'd make this up for a reference to double check my work tonight and share.

LAMP CHART_V6 (resized).jpgLAMP CHART_V6 (resized).jpg

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm already working on reducing clutter on the print, work in progress!

Yes there is several items for the backbox noted, which I'll expand on when I'm done going over the playfield.
Version 5
[quoted image]

Just as Stern used more then one line drawing for play field hardware, E.G. Stern uses one pic to show where the switches are at and another pic to show where the solenoids/coils are located, you might want to consider having a couple of drawings to show the inserts wire colors.

#95 2 years ago

Are the ball trough pieces from a Stern? Obviously a Bally coil but looks more like Stern parts. If those playfield hangers are from a Stern, they won't fit with a Bally receiver.

#96 2 years ago

Using my handy chart I found four errors to my chagrin and in process of repairing with correct color codes.

20210824_172613 (resized).jpg20210824_172613 (resized).jpg
#97 2 years ago

Ball trough parts are Stern, receiver and brackets are Bally.

#98 2 years ago

Let's get to it! I want to see this lit up by an MPU tonight.

20210824_180910 (resized).jpg20210824_180910 (resized).jpg
#99 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm a VERY early riser and will amble off to the workshop while she is still out cold. This morning I started separating lamp runs into connectors J1/J2/J3 so I can start stripping and crimping.

Me too. Often I find myself getting up & going out to the garage @ 2am to work on a project..... No one up except the cat to pester me.

#100 2 years ago

Well I got one connector done. Time consuming as I am toning every single wire before it is crimped after verifying color code and location.

All three of the lamp control lines are going to be individually bundled. When the connectors are completed the three will be bundled together. Just easier to diag in the future should some problem arise. Just cut the main tie wraps holding them together and *poof* you have three seperate bundles again.

20210824_193525 (resized).jpg20210824_193525 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.