Seawitch boot issue, hoping for some help

By Thrillhouse

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi all,
I'm having a boot issue with my Seawitch and I cant seem to figure it out. After the 3rd ring the MPU freezes up and makes a continuous screaching noise. After messing with it for a bit I am at a dead end to the issue. If I leave J2 on the lamp driver disconnected the game will boot completely and the displays light up correctly. From what I am seeing on the schematic is that J2 controls several of the feature lamps on the playfield. What I have tested/done so far:

Swapped all the boards in the backbox with known working ones
Repinned J2 on the lamp driver after seeing a bunch of "green goo" on the black/white wire connector
Tested several combinations of leaving different connectors unplugged on the MPU, Lamp Driver and Displays - at this point I am sure that it is the Lamp Driver J2 that is the issue

Can anyone point me where to go from here? Thanks in advance

#2 5 years ago

Well, J2 on the lamp driver board just switches playfield/backbox feature lamps. There's no voltage output on LDB J2 and no inputs on J2 either.
The lamp driver board is addressed by the 6821 PIA chip at U10 on the MPU board.
When the MPU board is testing the U10 PIA after the third MPU LED flash, it pulses all the PIA outputs and some feature lamps will quickly flicker ON as a result.
My guesstimate is that one of your lamps connected off J2 is shorted to a power source so that when the PIA is being tested and it pulses the lamp board, that power source is being shorted to ground via the lamp board SCRs and disrupting system power causing your lockup symptoms.

Anyway I'd start by looking at those playfield and backbox lamp sockets hanging off the lamp boards J2.

#3 5 years ago

Those flashes are telling you where to start. Each one is a test of something else on the board.

http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/arcade/7800/flash.html

So in your case, it sounds like the PIA in U10 could be bad. That would be a good place to start.

1 week later
#4 5 years ago

After monkeying with the issue again this weekend I'm still no closer to a solution. In fact the problem is now worse. After lifting the playfield I now need to leave both J1 & J2 on the lamp board disconnected before I can get the game to fully boot.

A few things I tried before posting:
I disconnected both connectors to the back box lights and also the coin door and the problem persisted so I can rule out the back box lights and coindoor.
Measured for voltage on the ground strap and read as 0 so no issue there.
Looked over every inch of the playfield underside several times. No loose/broken wires and nothing touching were it shouldn't as far as I can tell.
Verified that all connectors are in the plugged into the correct position.

Before I start disassembling the wire harness to look for a short does anyone have any other suggestions on what to try or look for? Thanks in advance

#5 5 years ago

When I have had to chase a lamp short on a classic Stern, I usually find the problem close to a corner lamp or one along the playfield edge. Something could be pinched or crushed in that area. Also, look close under the drop target carriages as some of those carriages are very close to some lamp sockets. After that, it becomes a test of each individual lamp/socket and the wires feeding them.

2 weeks later
#6 5 years ago

I wanted to follow up on this and post in hopes of saving someone else alot of time and heartache down the line. After tearing every inch of the harness apart in an attempt to find a short I was no closer to a solution. It turned out that j3 pin25 on the SDB was not making proper contact due to the green goo from one of the wires deteriorating. REALLY wish I had looked at those connectors much closer before tearing everything apart.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-boot-issue-hoping-for-some-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.