• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 days ago

Hi all,
I'm having a boot issue with my Seawitch and I cant seem to figure it out. After the 3rd ring the MPU freezes up and makes a continuous screaching noise. After messing with it for a bit I am at a dead end to the issue. If I leave J2 on the lamp driver disconnected the game will boot completely and the displays light up correctly. From what I am seeing on the schematic is that J2 controls several of the feature lamps on the playfield. What I have tested/done so far:

Swapped all the boards in the backbox with known working ones
Repinned J2 on the lamp driver after seeing a bunch of "green goo" on the black/white wire connector
Tested several combinations of leaving different connectors unplugged on the MPU, Lamp Driver and Displays - at this point I am sure that it is the Lamp Driver J2 that is the issue

Can anyone point me where to go from here? Thanks in advance

#2 5 days ago

Well, J2 on the lamp driver board just switches playfield/backbox feature lamps. There's no voltage output on LDB J2 and no inputs on J2 either.
The lamp driver board is addressed by the 6821 PIA chip at U10 on the MPU board.
When the MPU board is testing the U10 PIA after the third MPU LED flash, it pulses all the PIA outputs and some feature lamps will quickly flicker ON as a result.
My guesstimate is that one of your lamps connected off J2 is shorted to a power source so that when the PIA is being tested and it pulses the lamp board, that power source is being shorted to ground via the lamp board SCRs and disrupting system power causing your lockup symptoms.

Anyway I'd start by looking at those playfield and backbox lamp sockets hanging off the lamp boards J2.

#3 5 days ago

Those flashes are telling you where to start. Each one is a test of something else on the board.

http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/arcade/7800/flash.html

So in your case, it sounds like the PIA in U10 could be bad. That would be a good place to start.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside