6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pbpins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rfm.JPG

#1 6 years ago

So I have one pin, Doctor who. I love it. Deep rules, hard shots, and can drain like a sieve. Keeps the masochist in me coming back for more.

When I have friends over for RPGs or tabletop games, the things I like about DW are frustrating to the infrequent pinballer. The complexity and difficulty pushes them away.

I was thinking about adding a second pin as soon as I got my first and now I think I might have a direction in my search.

Any suggestions on titles that fun, easy, and approachable? (Sci-fi or fantasy themes are a plus, but not required.)

Not looking for offers yet, just ideas.

#2 6 years ago

Flash, Gorgar, Firepower ???

#3 6 years ago

Starship Troopers, pretty affordable too.

#4 6 years ago

Probably out of your budget , Ironman

As you say, your friends are not going to care about rules, so whatyou nneed is a game that is open and fun.
    Avoid games with subways, they confuse the casual player

#5 6 years ago

Playing earlier solid state games in general makes the newer games more approachable. Less going on, easier to concentrate on making the shots.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's difficult for me to find titles to play and so I'm trying to narrow the list.

#7 6 years ago

TZ, TAF, MB, all fun themed titles that most people know and easy to approach. Only problem, they might get hooked.

#8 6 years ago

I had a Space Shuttle as my first and was fun to "play" but it wasn't till I got my 2nd, Stellar Wars, that I started actually playing pinball. The objective was simple knock down all the targets and light up the lights. Then I started looking at Space Shuttle differently.

#9 6 years ago

Pinbot, timeless classic sci-fi theme, multiball not too difficult to achieve, fun for a novice, will not break your bank.

Also space shuttle or space station.

#10 6 years ago

There are a bunch of great sci-fi and fantasy themed System 11s. They tend to be more approachable to newbies than the more complex DMD games ...

Pin*Bot
    Space Station
    Big Guns
    Swords of Fury
    Black Knight 2000
    Grand Lizard

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Probably out of your budget , Ironman

You might be the first to suggest Iron Man as an easy pin. I'd suggest South Park.

#12 6 years ago

Funny you say that about DW because when I owned one it was a favourite for newbies friends/family.

The reason why: "just shoot up the middle" which is exactly what newbies do over and over anyway. Before long they'll lock both balls and then they can wail away at the targets and then get a thrilling multi ball. They feel like they really achieved something without having to figure out any rules and learn any shots.

The key to making this work well for newbies though is Feature Adjustment 21. Use this to release any locked balls between players. This should be enabled for tournament play as well IMO. The reason is that the game code activates a ball saver for any balls that go STDM when kicked out of a lock, but if you hit lock that already has a ball in it and then drain STDM the game doesn't know and there's no ball saver for you.

So player 1 has the advantage of having free locks and then subsequent players have a harder time because they can only hit the centre target to spot locks. Typically when you play with friends/family you're playing with more than one player so this issue affects them.

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question! But hopefully it helps DW be more enjoyable for your friends/family.

#13 6 years ago

Hey,

PinBot, Terminator 2, High Speed or High Speed 2 would be on my list.

Luke

#14 6 years ago

Scared Stiff, easy to play and understand, great sound and lighting

#15 6 years ago

In my opinion, most EM games are approachable and many are actually fun. No complicated rules, no subways (where the ball mysteriously disappears), no ramps, etc.

If EM games aren't your thing then some of the early solid state games would be good. As previously mentioned, Fire Power, Gorgar, and games like that would be good.

I recently picked up a Class of 1812. Pretty straightforward gameplay and actually pretty fun. I also have a Data East Time Machine. Also pretty straightforward and fun. Both of these games are very approachable.

Given that you're in Racine, you should maybe head to the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend. Lots of pinball machines to play, which should give you some idea on what to get next.

If that doesn't work for you, you're welcome to stop by my place in Muskego to play what I have to see if any of what I have would work for you.

Dave

#16 6 years ago

Doctor Who is a pretty simple rules package compared to most dmd games. The time expander is is basically self explanatory. All new players I play with like my doctor who more than my Tron.

Try black knight 2000 or F14 I suppose. BSD is simple rules too but just to brutal to recommend for new players.

#17 6 years ago

Pinbot if sci-fi is a must, if not then Taxi all day long......

#18 6 years ago

only have it in virtual pinball 8, but I'm liking EatPM a lot. scrolling for BAD bonus, BBQ bonus, skull shot for multiball, dont know how deep the rule set really is but it keeps my attention pretty good. I like Southpark too, you can get pretty far with a whole bunch of kenny killing isnt too complicated. TSPP also a lot of fun.

#19 6 years ago

+1 for scared stiff... but don't forget Elvira and the Party monsters!

#20 6 years ago

I'll second T2. Nice, relatively affordable, DMD game with fun shots, good flow, and a cool theme. If you have a little more cash, why not Revenge from Mars? A lot of non-pinheads like it.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Given that you're in Racine, you should maybe head to the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend. Lots of pinball machines to play, which should give you some idea on what to get next.

Actually that is why I made the thread now. Gives me a better list to look for instead of just wandering aimlessly at MGC.

#22 6 years ago

Spiderman is fairly easy, I mean just about any shot will give you points or credit towards starting a mode. Also easy to hit the ramps and loops.

POTC is very nice for novice players, has some tough shots, but the main toy is both easy and fun to sink the ship.

#23 6 years ago

Your mention of RPG made me think of Swords of Fury. Very cool and engrossing System 11 pin, and doesn't break the bank. I like the theme too.

Super Mario Brothers is easily my most popular pin with newbs, though. Spider-Man is up there too, but is also considerably more expensive (but worth it in many ways!).

#24 6 years ago

The 'go to' pin in this situation in my collection is Taxi. Young, old, male, female, pinhead, non-pinhead, all like it and can grasp it quick. I told my 12 year old when I got it: "You shoot the lighted characters to take them for a ride, get them all and shoot for the Gorby guy again for a jackpot." Three balls later he steals the jackpot from me.

#25 6 years ago

I agree with rai on POTC. Very easy to tell a newbie/kid what to shoot for......the conversation goes......"shoot the ship numerous times; shoot the chest numerous times; if you're adventurous, hit it up that left ramp to the storm-looking thing"

#26 6 years ago

While I love me some EATPM I don't recommend any System 11s or old games for your purpose, for one simple reason: no ball save. If you want something approachable don't choose a game that can drain off the plunge and punish you, it's pretty discouraging for newbies.

#27 6 years ago

Fishtales is a easy game to figure out, not too deep and you would have two similar machines for diagnostic purposes. Similar in the price frame as well.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

There are a bunch of great sci-fi and fantasy themed System 11s. They tend to be more approachable to newbies than the more complex DMD games ...
    Pin*Bot
    Space Station
    Big Guns
    Swords of Fury
    Black Knight 2000
    Grand Lizard

Space Station is a tough game though, with no inlanes. REALLY requires precise drop catches! (I want one someday)

These and other SS games tend to be approachable. Most of the rules are written on the pf, in many cases.

#29 6 years ago

Stargate gets a lot of love from non-pinhead guests too, and is fairly easy (although if you know what you're doing it's actually a very deep game) and generous with multi-balls. Not to mention System 3 pins are built like tanks, very reliable.

1 week later
    #30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Piparoo:

I'll second T2. Nice, relatively affordable, DMD game with fun shots, good flow, and a cool theme. If you have a little more cash, why not Revenge From Mars? A lot of non-pinheads like it.

I just wanted to thank all of you for the advice.

Being the noob that I am, I had not seen an RFM until last Saturday at the Midwest Gaming Classic. It fit my needs perfectly, my family loved it, and it was such a unique experience that I grabbed one yesterday.

Even in two pieces, it was a beast to get downstairs.

rfm.JPG

Sadly, most of the boards in my wallpaper are newer than the one in the game and several of them have Cyrix processors too.

#31 6 years ago

Love the wallpaper!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 208.87
    $ 18.95
    $ 29.95
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside