6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by egyptrus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider egyptrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I recently sold a 72 Gottlieb World Series and I just got a text from him saying "I smashed the glass on my game" I assumed he dropped something on his playfield glass and shattered that. Nope. Apparently he decided to put a dart board near his pinball machine and one of the darts when errant, hit the backglass, and it shattered. It was a real dart with a metal tip. I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever heard of a backglass being broken by a dart.

At any rate, he's now on the hunt for a replacement. I don't believe this has been reproduced. If it has, please direct me to where I might find it. It doesn't look like bgresto has done it either, although I wouldn't have anything to send them as I believe he's already cleaned it up and thrown away the pieces.

So, I'm on the hunt for a backglass for this game. Ideally, I'd rather get an existing glass but I have a feeling that's going to be tough to find. I'd be willing to entertain thoughts on how to get a replacement for him if a reproduction isn't available.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave

#2 6 years ago

Bumping to the top in hopes someone has one of these laying around somewhere...

#3 6 years ago

Ok, I think I could get this reprinted if I could find the artwork. Frankly, I have no idea what format the artwork would need to be in for it to be reproduced but figured I'd post here again hoping someone might now how to get it formated if I can find someone that has the glass that could take pictures.

Any help in this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Had you checked if bgresto or maybe
Gary Conway has it already on file?

I didn't check with bgresto directly. Their website indicates that you have to send in your old glass, which I now don't have as the guy threw it away before telling me he broke it. They haven't done one before so I assumed (and perhaps incorrectly) that they didn't have the artwork.

I didn't check with Gary Conway. I'm not a big fan of the way he does his reproductions but if he had the artwork I might have to accept that he's the only choice I have.

I recognize it's not going to be easy to find the glass I'm looking for but the hunt continues. Thanks for the ideas.

Dave

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

Just an update...I sent an inquiry to bgresto and while they haven't done World Series, they have done Grans Slam (the replay version of World Series) and believe they can produce a glass for me

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now I just have to wait for them to do the work.

Dave

2 months later
#7 6 years ago

So, I wanted to give you all the "rest of the story". I received the world series back glass from bgresto so now I'm ready to stop over and put it into the game. I headed up to the guy's house today to replace the glass for him.

First thing I have to do is clean out all of the broken glass from the head and the cabinet (some had fallen through to the bottom).

While cleaning out the bottom of the cabinet I notice the dart that caused the damage. That's right, the dart that smashed the back glass somehow ended up going through an opening in the back board (where the score reels are) and then fell through the opening in the bottom of the head and into the cabinet. I honestly couldn't believe it.

I'm guessing that dart had a lot of speed behind it when it hit the glass. It was a real dart, with a metal tip. Even so, I still can't believe it was in the bottom of the cabinet - crazy.

Anyway, the glass is in and it looks great.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider egyptrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/searching-for-a-1972-gottlieb-world-series-backglass?tu=egyptrus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.