(Topic ID: 203623)

SEA ISLE WOOD RAIL > Q's

By SpaceTimeGuy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9869 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9753 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9752 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9749 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9750 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9751 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9748 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9741 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9740 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hi, I just picked up a #Sea Isle game for my tiki bar. It is my first wood rail machine (and 2nd pinball). I have some questions and would appreciate any help you geniuses can give !!

The schematic is on the back box door but it is almost impossible to read. Anyone have a good quality photo of schematic they could send me??

Is the upper right stepper (1000's??) suppose to have 2 coils?? I would think > Yes .. but don't see any extra wires that would connect to it.... if so, is it #9126?

I want to replace a couple of the coils that have been "repaired" and are wrapped in electric tape. There is a listing on EBay for "Williams - Chicago Coin A-22-550 G-22-550 FJ-22-550 J-22-550 9122 New" from apbenterprises in Illinois ... in their listing, they list all games it will work on .. and #Sea-Isle isn't listed ..? IS THIS THE RIGHT COIL ? I ask because the previous owner told me it run on different voltage (6V??) and I couldn't use "standard" pinball light bulbs in it ... is this correct ? and does this hold true for coils??

I am going to clean and wax PF ... Is Millwax OK?

Also, I am missing one bumper cap. I see there are repros available but they are so white (not aged) that they would look funny on vintage machine. Anyone know where to get one or 2 vintage ones?

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for any help you can give !!!!

Tiki Todd

IMG_9740 (resized).JPGIMG_9740 (resized).JPG

IMG_9741 (resized).JPGIMG_9741 (resized).JPG

IMG_9748 (resized).JPGIMG_9748 (resized).JPG

IMG_9751 (resized).JPGIMG_9751 (resized).JPG

IMG_9750 (resized).JPGIMG_9750 (resized).JPG

IMG_9749 (resized).JPGIMG_9749 (resized).JPG

IMG_9752 (resized).JPGIMG_9752 (resized).JPG

IMG_9753 (resized).JPGIMG_9753 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

WOW! Looks Great.

#3 6 years ago

Check photos on ipdb.org, looks like that is a continuous stepper with only one coil.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Check photos on ipdb.org, looks like that is a continuous stepper with only one coil.

Right............ one coil. should be the 1K stepper unit.
    other units should be for the 10k-400K, other s/b the Bonus unit.

#5 6 years ago

OK ... One coil is right ... Awesome ! THANK YOU !

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

WOW! Looks Great.

Darcy > THANKS !!! I love it .. this week > going to clean play field and get a piece of glass cut for it ...

#7 6 years ago

Nice fit for your tiki bar!! Enjoy

#8 6 years ago

Nice looking game. You can use Millwax on it if you choose to. It won't harm anything.

#9 6 years ago

jrpinball and poppapin >> THANKS !!

1 week later
    #10 6 years ago

THANKS to all who replied to my post !

I have done a little work on the Sea Isle ... mainly fixing the 1000's stepper (in upper right) ... CLEANED the gunky lube someone had put on steppers .... Got new COIL from APB Enterprises in Illinois (they were very helpful and even double checked their coil was correct specs for my game) ... the "pin" that the "arm" pivots on was loose so I used a little JB Weld and a small washer and secured it (working great so far) ... also the SPRING must have been stretched out a bit ... was going to shorten it but saw a box of 200 springs at Harbor Freight for $5 so used one of those (had to stretch it out a tiny bit) ... also cleaned and waxed PF ... and ordered glass today ...

I'm still looking for a decent quality copy or photo of the schematic ... and one or two vintage pop caps ...

IMG_9869 (resized).JPGIMG_9869 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

Looks great and it looks like this game would be fun to play!

What did you use to clean the stepper with?

Bruce

#12 6 years ago

Hi Bruce, PinballFever

I used Naptha (from Home Depot in Paint aisle) and break cleaner (in spray can from auto parts store) ... one of my friends recommended Lacquer Thinner instead of Naptha > he thought it would break down the grease a little better ... ? ... used a lot of Q-Tips and a toothbrush ... on most places I wet the q-tips or toothbrush with the solvent (instead of wetting the part that needed cleaning) ... to clean the "pin" > I cleaned as good as I could with q-tips and then lightly sprayed a little brake cleaner at the base of the pin to try and get any grease out before I "glued" it (I put paper towels behind the metal plate and under the pin to prevent brake cleaner from dripping on anything).

The game is OK to play ... really pretty boring ... ball just kind of bounces a bit and then drains out ... the idea is to try and hit all the bumpers to spell "S-E-A I-S-L-E" ... Kind of cool when it rolls through the "collect bonus" or goes in the kickers and then it adds all the bonuses to your score ... When I got it > I was buying it more for the artwork and history .. didn't expect it to be a blast to play > and I was still disappointed ! LOL

Todd

#13 6 years ago

I find that a lot of woodrails are better Lookers than players.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks Todd,

I've used naptha to clean playfields before waxing but I haven't tried it on stepping units yet. Clay also recommends brake cleaner on his pinrepair site. I like your idea of wetting the q-tips or toothbrushes instead of the stepping unit itself. I notice you left the protective coating on your stepping unit and I'm thinking of doing that too. I'm going to try 91% alcohol or the naptha to clean my steppers.

Lol. I'll have to try playing a game like yours to see what it's like. (maybe at PHOF in LV) I want to try playing or owning a bingo machine too.

Bruce

#15 6 years ago

Bruce,

Protective coating on stepping unit ??? Oh yes > I meant to do that ... LOL (not sure ... what coating?)

I went to Pinball Hall Of Fame once .... LOVED IT !!! Definitely go there when you in Vegas !!

Todd

#16 6 years ago

i used to have a CC flipperless baseball (1947?)
    and its playfield was almost immaculate too . i wonder if CC did something more than other companies to ..protect the playfield or a better painting process. nice looking game!

#17 6 years ago

singlezero > THANKS !

Nice playfield > Right ! I'm not sure what they did ... but PF held up great !!! Mine didn't even have glass in it when I got it (owner before me cleaned it up before I saw it) ... I couldn't believe how nice the PF was ... too bad they didn't have that good of a process for the back glass (mine had lots of paint loss and was touched up > mediocre job) .... I was just up near Ann Arbor, MI last weekend and bought a 1970's EM Jet Spin ... the guy had a some old wood rails he was going to fix up ... so much dust and dirt on PF you couldn't even see graphics, but he had cleaned off a spot on each one to see condition of PF > most looked great !! That's crazy !

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceTimeGuy:

Protective coating on stepping unit ??? Oh yes > I meant to do that ... LOL (not sure ... what coating?)

I learned about the protective coating from flynnibus in posts # 10, #25 and #29 here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harbor-freight-25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner.

The metal parts are galvanized with a protective zinc coating to prevent rusting. At first I thought my stepper units were heavily oxidized and needed to be cleaned until I found out what looks like "heavy oxidation" is actually the protective coating hence I'm carefully cleaning them without removing that coating.

Quoted from SpaceTimeGuy:

I went to Pinball Hall Of Fame once .... LOVED IT !!! Definitely go there when you in Vegas !!

I've been there once before but this time I want to try out the OLDER games like yours.

Bruce

#19 6 years ago

PinballFever

Bruce !!!

I thought my one stepper was oxidized too ! ... turns out it's the one with protective coating !? LOL ... Good thing I didn't clean it too much !

Pinball Hall of Fame > I have only been once also ... LOVED IT !!! My friends were on an earlier flight out of Vegas > so had the cab driver drop me at PHOF on way to dropping them at airport .... WOW ... that place is Awesome !! I don't remember many OLDER games ... but I have always liked the 70's ones ... appreciation/awareness of the older ones if more recent .... I remember some 1960's pins ... maybe I missed the wood rails ... ?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sea-isle-wood-rail-qs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.