Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Went to the local hardware store and the guys thought the screws from my pinball machine belonged to the Apollo 13.
    Oh! It has a washer in it, it does not come out… oh!

Is Stern using custom made screws with star washers in them??? I thought this was standard lol

Anyway, I will be restoring a game and want to have 6-8-10/32 in all the common lenghts at hand including the tapping #6 commonly used.

I want to buy in bulk and save when possible. I really cant believe these are hard to find like those guy say?

Any tips would be helpful, want to buy online.

#4 1 year ago

Yeah that is what they say, I need the ones with star washers in them.

I am wondering if marco has them someone has to make them… no?

No did not try fastenal but I will…

#7 1 year ago

Thanks. I guess the minimum wage employee never saw a sems a screw in the only hardware store in town called “ottawa fastener” lol
    The owner must be proud

#9 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for the help!

#12 1 year ago

Thank you.
    Fastenal seems to have these… I have not looked into amazon yet.

Good stuff, thanks again!

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Just to add to this, I always enjoy learning new things. I was reading about how Sems screws are made and it sounds like a multi step process that is more involved than just making a screw. Then I looked at the pricing at boltdepot.com.
    A 1” 8-32 zinc plated steel Philips head Sems screw with external tooth washer (#26804) is 23 cents each, or $13.85/100 making it just under 14 cents each.
    The equivalent 1” 8-32 screw (#1555) is 8 cents each or just over 4 cents each for 100. The #8 external tooth washer (#3002) is 7 cents each or just under 3 cents for 100.
    So basically the Sems screws cost about twice as much, which makes sense given the more involved manufacturing process.
    A pinball restorer probably would not care much, as it will cost about $14 to get 100 of them vs $7. But if you are cheap and like to save money, you can achieve the same look and mechanical fit by buying them separately and putting them together yourself.
    A manufacturer buying them in large quantities would see a bigger cost effect. But I’m sure it’s well worth it to them, because the alternative during assembly is to have the worker grab a screw then a washer then fiddle with them to put them together. This will take more time and manual labor is expensive. Also, the worker can get tired or bored and make mistakes like leaving the washer off or putting on 2 washers. This will never be an issue with the Sems screws, just grab and go and it will be right every time.
    I can totally envision the pinball manufacturers making this decision to speed up and reduce the cost of construction.
    Overanalysis complete.

most of these have double washers. the star washer attached is to lock the 2nd washer underneath, so yeah, I think that it is a pain to deal with 2 washers. I rather just simplify.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Thr toothed washer is used to get more bite to be resistant to vibration, etc. there is no value besides convenience to using sem screws verse toothed washers.
    I would be suspect of anything with sem screw with additional washer under it. That entirely defeats it’s purpose. The purpose of the teeth is to create extra friction between the bolt and the surface to resist rotation. A washer under that defeats it.
    You would normally see these in pins in metal brackets like coil brackets… and sometimes used with plastics to get bite.
    Just buy a box of #6, #8 star/tooth washers and call it a day.

A stern has these and double washers everywhere.
    You do you my man! I’ll do what Stern does.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screws-seller?tu=pin_fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.