Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

This is on Heat Wave, Williams 1964
    No luck at Home Depot or Lowes, looking for the right size machine screws for the leaf switch sandwiches on the score reels.

What thread sizes should I be looking for? Lowest Home Depot & Lowes goes is #4 / 40, but those didn't fit. The score reel has two sets of leaf switches, and the screws look to be different sizes. Sure seems like they'd use the same screw, with different lengths. Strange.

undrdog

#2 3 years ago

Could be 5-40 and 3-48 threads.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

This is on Heat Wave, Williams 1964
    No luck at Home Depot or Lowes, looking for the right size machine screws for the leaf switch sandwiches on the score reels.
    What thread sizes should I be looking for? Lowest Home Depot & Lowes goes is #4 / 40, but those didn't fit. The score reel has two sets of leaf switches, and the screws look to be different sizes. Sure seems like they'd use the same screw, with different lengths. Strange.
    undrdog

ive got some spare reels for parts, what length you need?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

ive got some spare reels for parts, what length you need?

Thank you very much. There was a similar machine screw in the bottom of the cabinet, the first time I opened it up, so I’m thinking the machine probably needs screws everywhere.

If I can’t find a bunch at Fastenal, I’ll see what you may have.

This might be a good time to confess that I tried to clean one of the score reels with alcohol. Didn’t mess it up too badly (fixed it with a Sharpie), but if you have the reel itself, I’d be interested.

#5 3 years ago

ive got all gottlieb stuff buy i assume the screws are similar. you might try the parts thread for a reel replacement

#6 3 years ago

I had decent luck finding smaller screws at the local Ace hardware store, thanks to some Pinside advise.

#7 3 years ago

Took two screws to a local bolt & nut place and had them measured.
    The screws for the leaf switches on the score reels for Heat Wave (and I suppose any other Williams em from the same era) are:

These are metric.
    3 (diameter) .5 pitch 16mm (length)
    2.5 (diameter) .45 pitch 25 mm (length)

#8 3 years ago

I bought this for guitar work, but I find myself using it a lot for pinball work too

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Measuring/Thread_Detective_for_Guitars.html

Dave

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I bought this for guitar work, but I find myself using it a lot for pinball work too

Cool!

Couldn't find the 2.5 x 45 x 25 locally, but I was able to find both sizes on line at Bolt Depot (www.boltdepot.com) and you can buy them per each. Shipping was reasonable, $4.95 for us mail for 20 screws.

#10 3 years ago

Interesting! I wouldn’t have guessed they were metric.

#11 3 years ago

I buy my switch screws from pinball resource.

I also wouldn’t have guessed they were metric.

#12 3 years ago

I was really hoping to get them locally... TODAY. And without spending $$ in postage for $5 worth of parts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screws-for-1960s-williams-leaf-switches-on-score-reels?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.