4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Joust1 (resized).jpg
    Screw (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I'm lookin' for options on how to repair a screw through the play field. It's got a Bill Davis Clear on it and the screw was just a lil too long and barely poked through, cracking the clearcoat and lifting it ever so slightly. (The area is about 1/8th inch accross)

The two extremes I'm guessin' would be just stick mylar over it and dont worry about it all the way to sanding/reshootin' clear. Since a complete teardown and shipping it to someone to fix really isnt an option, I'm lookin' for the best way to fix it on my own. It's a game I'm likely going to be sellin' it soon, but I wanted to get some play time on it before I part with it.

Best I can come up with is a syringe with some superglue then clamp it till it dries and put a mylar circle over it. Can anyone offer insite on a better method?

Screw (resized).jpgScrew (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

no mylar. You have to sand and clear.

#3 4 years ago

How about a picture a little zoomed out? For me it would depend how visible it is, and what the value of the game is. If it's as small as I think and not in a super noticeable spot, I'd probably seal it with super glue and point it out to potential buyers.

#4 4 years ago

I'd love to leave it so that whoever buys it can fix it how they wish and I'm not sure how a superglue fix would affect a future fix if someone wanted to do the whole 9 yards on it. I would like to be able to play it a bit before I pass it along, but I also don't want to make it worse by playing it.

The Game is a Williams Joust. The issue is in a "right in the middle" kinda place (Right above the #1 insert). It's not huge, but it's the only glaring flaw in an otherwise restored game. Most might not notice it right away, but my eyes are always drawn to it.

It took about 5 years to get it back from Bill Davis, and then another few years after that to have a place where I could get it all back together. So it's been about 10 years since I've gotten to play it and I simply don't have the time or ability to take it all apart and send it off to have it sanded and recleared. So I'm just trying to get an idea of my options and the best method to procede.

Joust1 (resized).jpgJoust1 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screw-through-the-clearcoat-options and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.