(Topic ID: 170209)

"Screw This!" I'm sick of it! - Who's with me!

By pinball_faz

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dooskie
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LivingRoom.8 (resized).JPG
    WoodScrews2 (resized).jpg
    WoodScrews (resized).jpg
    Tools (resized).jpg
    Spring-A-Ding (resized).jpg
    MagnetLand (resized).jpg
    Lock-ness (resized).jpg
    Enablers (resized).jpg
    Bolt (resized).jpg
    Bags! (resized).jpg
    pile_of_junk.283125429_std (resized).jpg
    hardware (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

<rant>

My workshop is a 15' x 20' space with a bench and a bunch of wood tools. Over the last 25 years, I've added benches, cubbies and all little spaces to store things.. many in the rafters. But even with this, "planned storage" I find my shop has the ghost-of-projects-past laid all over the place. A scrap bit of wood here, a tool left there.

So, today, I'm cleaning up. I start on my bench... pull off a small cup with a few screws, nuts, washers.. you know, the little bits you save at the end of a job and toss in there for later. I put it on my tablesaw.

Then, I move down the bench, I find a bowl of more bits... and another and another. I found cans, jars, envelops, baggies, even a coffee cup (I wondered where that went to) all with "crap" (technical term). My bench could not hold the containers, I just started tossing all the bits into a five gallon bucket. I got it to about 1/3 full. Amazing all the little trinkets that I saved and for no good reason.

Then, I started going through it. Little baggies with two screws and a wall anchor... you know, the crappy little ones that come with a wall mounted curtain rod that are good for nothing. I had DOZENS of these... and FLAT HEAD WOOD SCREWS. I HATE flat head screws. Why I even saved them is beyond me. And bent screws... or screws that the philips bit filled in with liquid nails or some other drech. Screws that required an Allen wrench to screw in.... probably a pull out from some pre-fab shelves from the 80's.

I pulled out POUNDS of flat head screws and those worthless screws in the baggies.... threw it all out.

I live within 5 min of Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards.

Why did I keep all this? No more... I'm done. So, who's with me! Get rid of all that useless hardware!!!
    <\rant>

But I did find this nice brass screw... ooohhh Shinny!

faz

#2 3 years ago

As soon as you get rid of something--you'll need it. Can't tell you how many times I've thrown stuff out just to need that very same item within days/weeks of tossing it...

#3 3 years ago

yeah, so much little crap piles up and alot of it is useless. i know in my parts bins i have so much useless hardware that i will never use, but refuse to toss it for some stupid reason.

#4 3 years ago

I have the disease too..

#5 3 years ago

Wow! Just did the same exact, not similar, exact thing a week ago. Didn't have any room in my workshop. Everything piled up on my bench. Bench was a catch-all for everything...random screws, nails, pieces of wood, various gauge wire, bits. Started going through it. Threw most of it away. Then the relief... I took the work bench apart, handmade from 2x4's. Unscrewed it and cut up the long pieces. Threw the bench away. Very therapeutic. Bought two Harbor Freight rolling carts for projects (Gorgar cabinet sitting on one). Now I can roll things out of the way. Have a ton more room and got rid of a bunch of crap!

#6 3 years ago

I have a theory that us pinheads have more than our fair share oh the hoarder gene.

#7 3 years ago

Organization is a constant process. I sort of enjoy organizing things.

#8 3 years ago

I have a cart that all the random hardware goes to... It stays unorganized, but I can always go to it and sift through it. I always find something useful every time I need it. I love that cart

I love random bits cart

#9 3 years ago

Nope, keep EVERYTHING

12 years ago I stripped a playfield, I need to do a playfield swap. my original parts were fine to reuse
    I put everthing in a box
    last weekend I had to find the box and hope it had the part I needed, they dont make EM brackets any more
    fortunately I had the part, a little rusty, but it will clean up nice

#10 3 years ago

I admire the OPs approach but I have a different experience. I find that whenever I'm tinkering on my machines or fixing something around the house...straight to my pots of bits and pieces. I have them very roughly sorted in old glass peanut butter jars...large screws, medium screws, tiny screws, big bolts...you get the idea. This weekend alone I must have dipped in to them 3 or 4 times. And as my backup if I can't find anything I drop in to my dad's old garage. He died 7 years ago but his empty garage is a shrine to a lifetime of careful hoarding. It's very rarely I can't find what I need amongst his, very well sorted, collection of bits and pieces.

#11 3 years ago

Organization is the key of course ... and I mostly had a system.

I'm not talking about getting rid of unique parts... I'm talking about NOT SAVING crap.

I have bins of casters/wheels, cabinet hardware of all kinds, hinges from the smallest to the largest as well as my "trade kits": Plumbing, Electrical, Painting/drywall and Flooring. Makes doing a project very convenient.

My beef (with myself) is that I kept a ton of screws that were absolutely USELESS. I don't have any "enemies" but if I did... these are the kind of screws that I would not put in their houses either.

Good wood screws, I have organized by size from 1/2" through 3". Washers, split washers and all flavor of bolts/nuts are in their nice anal retentive bins.

But really... flat head screws. There's a reason that I pulled flat head screws out of a piece of furniture... because, I replace it with a same sized Phillips head screw... but I kept it... WHY OH WHY DID I KEEP IT!!

I've never gone out of my way to purchase flat head wood screws... but my peanut butter jars, coffee cans seem to be full of them.

At one point I was laughing like a mad scientist tossing these into the 'pitch pile' (btw... it was recycled not in the landfill).

faz

#12 3 years ago

we have engineers at work that keep everything on their desk (I'm sometimes guilty too). My boss hates clutter, he encourages us to toss stuff we aren't currently working on (unless it's some prototype that we need to keep for archival purposes, in which case it needs to go up into long term storage. In his mind, so long as it's a part we make or buy that we can buy another, there's no point in keeping it around.

#13 3 years ago

Pictures or it didn't happen!

As far as flat heads, i use them when it originally had them or i dont have enough Phillips to replace all. I don't like to mix n match.

I had a guy at work mention how he organised hardware bits that I thought was nice. He basically had about 20 large clear glass jars (like miracle whip) with the screw on lids. The lids being screwed(mounted)to the bottom of the cupboards in his shop area. Haven't tried it myself but always seemed like a great idea.

I not only have to do mine but my dad's as well a good 50 years of bits.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

^^^^What he said

#15 3 years ago

I'm always going into my giant sliding bins of miscellaneous screws, pieces parts. I'm sure it has saved me countless trips to the hardware store. I won't throw them out. I also have bins of miscellaneous wire of all kinds from power cords to ethernet cables and everything in between. No....not going to throw any of that stuff out, I'm always returning to it. What I did throw out this weekend was the "dust collectors" on the shelves. Now those are useless crap.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from jb3d:

He died 7 years ago but his empty garage is a shrine to a lifetime of careful hoarding.

I hope that one of my children will express such a beautiful sentiment as 'a shrine to a lifetime of careful hoarding' when they toss my treasures into the bin.

#17 3 years ago

The more you save the more you or someone else has to get rid of later. I go to garage sales pretty hard all summer and every weekend there's THAT kind of garage sale: old dude (or his wife) cleaning out an entire garage full of random greasy tools, old electrical parts, plumbing supplies, unusable auto parts, and cut down wood. I don't know what percentage of older guys have garages or shops full of stuff like this, but it's got to be pretty high. I understand the "you never know when you're going to need it" concept because it's absolutely true and I do it too, but over time even useful stuff turns into junk if you don't actually use it. The flipside though is when you "know you have one of those" and end up at Home Depot paying $15 for a new one because you couldn't find it in all the other crap!

#18 3 years ago

I have always just thrown all the screws into one bin. Then when I needed something I would dig through until I found (hopefully) what I needed.

I did, just recently, separate out the machine screws from the wood screws. I'm not getting any more organized than that; but at least separating out those types seems like a mini accomplishment.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I knew this would come out and honestly, I'm too embarrassed about what my shop has become. Actually, it's worse than when I started... because everything "fluffed up".

Quoted from CNKay:

20 large clear glass jars (like miracle whip) with the screw on lids. The lids being screwed(mounted)to the bottom of the cupboards in his shop area. Haven't tried it myself but always seemed like a great idea.

When growing up, I had a neighbor that had about 50 babyfood jars (y'all remember when baby food came in jars ) all screwed to the shelves. The thing was, I was like 8... and I could look up and see exactly what was in each jar. He on the other hand was really tall... about a full foot higher than the bottles. He had to severely crane his neck / squat to see anything.

faz

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

As soon as you get rid of something--you'll need it. Can't tell you how many times I've thrown stuff out just to need that very same item within days/weeks of tossing it...

It's much worse if you do a lot of woodworking. You wouldn't believe all the bits and pieces of crap. Dozens of screw hole plugs I've made and 3 -8 inch pieces of all kinds of moulding I've made in all kinds of woods. Many in exotics that I will never, ever touch again. Most in unusable sizes or quantities to be of any value. Anybody need 5 inches of bubinga cove?

Alas, I know the day after I toss it, I will need it. The problem is, I've amassed so much of this stuff that when I need it, even though I know I have it, I can't find it so I have to buy more. And, of course, I buy extra just in case I mess up. So, I simply compound the problem.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

even though I know I have it, I can't find it so I have to buy more

Tell it preacher - I'm with you there!

LOL!
    faz

#22 3 years ago

I'm sure everyone also runs into knowing you have it (whatever it is), not being able to find it, buy another, and then the misplaced one is found later.

#23 3 years ago

I can't throw out anything. Made that mistake to many times. call me OCD but Every screw I pull goes into the organizer by length (short, med, long) with EM's I pull the whole mounting boards out and label them with what game it was should I ever need a peice there still intact. I put all the playfield parts in labeled boxes (aprons, ball guides, etc.....) will I ever need this stuff? More than likely and if not it's still not getting anywhere.

IMG_1854 (resized).JPG

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

The more you save the more you or someone else has to get rid of later. I go to garage sales pretty hard all summer and every weekend there's THAT kind of garage sale: old dude (or his wife) cleaning out an entire garage full of random greasy tools, old electrical parts, plumbing supplies, unusable auto parts, and cut down wood.

Yes. When my brother died 20 years ago I went to help my nephew clean up. Brother was the ultimate mechanic and fix it guy---and hoarder.

We had a 17 foot horse trailer and made 8 or 9 trips to the landfill.

#25 3 years ago

I've been meaning to get a table at a flea market or have a garage sale for years. Someday.

#26 3 years ago

I think I am a few steps behind you on this. I recently threw out some workbenches and redid my workshop area. I still have all the hardware packets and stuff all over though. I like the idea of just throwing them in a bucket though! I will do that because then atleast all this crap is consolidated and not taking up space. lol

#27 3 years ago

When I read the title of this thread I thought for sure it would be about Stern insert ghosting!

#28 3 years ago

If you never take the time, or have to desire to organize your shop, you will live in that shithole forever!!

I am an organizational freak.

#29 3 years ago

I recently tackled this problem. For years now I've been keeping every nut, blot, screw, washer, etc. I had the same junk parts buckets all piled up. It got to be too much. About 4 months ago I broke down and spent about $200 on hardware organizers and new hardware. #s 4,6 & 8 of everything pinball related I could think of. Now I don't keep any pinball hardware. I replace it all. With about $160 worth of hardware I have enough to complete 4-5 restorations with all new hardware. I'll never look back. It's saved me so much time cleaning, polishing and searching for hardware. It's well worth $25 a machine. Now I have 4 small metal coffee cans with junk in them. I organized them as machine screws, wood screws, nuts & washers and electrical parts. Now I seldom need to go into the junk bins and I rarely add to them.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If you never take the time, or have to desire to organize your shop, you will live in that shithole forever!!

Can you post some photos of your shop? Seriously, I love seeing how everyone deals with parts and tools

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I love seeing how everyone deals with parts and tools

2015pics 005 (resized).JPG

#32 3 years ago

Fake.

No work gets done in an area that we'll kept up.

#33 3 years ago

radio shack cabinets? I know the Korn bought some of those from closed stores. Kicking myself for not doing the same.

#34 3 years ago

I just don't have the space and I've been trashing stuff recently. Yeah, I MAY need something off of that playfield that has been sitting around for 10 years but at this point I just don't want to look at it any more. Space is money and stuff that is just taking up space has got to go.

#35 3 years ago

Here is my messy shop. I just built the enches and put up the pegboard a few weeks ago right before ploppoing a bunch of crap on the bench and starting a project. I love it it feels like home... Most of my crap is in bins waiting to get "organized" soon. Maybe I will post an after pic soon? For now, this is the after pic (the before was horrible).

Capture (resized).png

#36 3 years ago

Ah. Vidmar cabinets... if I could actually find some on craigslist for a decent price.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Fake.
    No work gets done in an area that we'll kept up.

This put you at ease?

IMG_0574 (resized).JPG

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

This put you at ease?

MUCH better

#39 3 years ago

Im not even going to show you the other bench.

#40 3 years ago

I'd been living in my first house for 17 years, and I'd built up a huge pile of "I'll need it one day" stuff.

Race car parts, RX7 parts, woodwork tools, you name it. I had 2 garages, both around 9m x 9m (30ft square) and there was a pile of stuff.

When we decided to move, I started to sell the stuff off on our eBay ... but after a while, it was just "hello, is this the garbage skip man? Can you drop me a huge skip out here ASAP please?" and in it all went.

Honestly, best thing I've ever done. And ten years later, I have never once needed anything that I threw out. Good riddance.

rd

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've seen his shop and it's true. Bryan has the ultimately organized shop.
    Terry.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Can you post some photos of your shop? Seriously, I love seeing how everyone deals with parts and tools

Here are three quick ones. I've got a ton of them. Rolling adjustable shelves I picked up at Sams Club. I've got five of them. Invaluable keeping parts organized when restoring games and I can move them anywhere.

Pegboard. I rate a man's manliness by the amount of pegboard he has in his house. It covers my entire shop and about half of my garage. I tried to put it on the ceiling of the master bedroom but my wife said no. Don't buy the cheap 1/8" shit. Do it right and buy 1/4".

If the other pic looks familiar, those containers came from an Ace Hardware store.

What I find with most people is, they're either organized or they're not. And that's the way it is with everything in their life. You either have it or you don't.

My shop space is continually evolving. It stays the same for a couple years then I get another idea on how to make things better and it changes. The key is, I love adding things that help me keep things organized.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#43 3 years ago

Wow....I think I can say this for most people that have viewed this thread. You are the man, Mr. Kelly. Bravo

#44 3 years ago

Here's an odd piece I picked up years ago from our local bank. It was used to hold signature cards. Needless to say, everything is digital today. The drawers are fully extendable. That one drawer probably has 250 pinballs on it and it rolls in and out easily.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#45 3 years ago

You gotta lotta balls ,Kelly

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

<rant>
    My workshop is a 15' x 20' space with a bench and a bunch of wood tools. Over the last 25 years, I've added benches, cubbies and all little spaces to store things.. many in the rafters. But even with this, "planned storage" I find my shop has the ghost-of-projects-past laid all over the place. A scrap bit of wood here, a tool left there.
    So, today, I'm cleaning up. I start on my bench... pull off a small cup with a few screws, nuts, washers.. you know, the little bits you save at the end of a job and toss in there for later. I put it on my tablesaw.
    Then, I move down the bench, I find a bowl of more bits... and another and another. I found cans, jars, envelops, baggies, even a coffee cup (I wondered where that went to) all with "crap" (technical term). My bench could not hold the containers, I just started tossing all the bits into a five gallon bucket. I got it to about 1/3 full. Amazing all the little trinkets that I saved and for no good reason.
    Then, I started going through it. Little baggies with two screws and a wall anchor... you know, the crappy little ones that come with a wall mounted curtain rod that are good for nothing. I had DOZENS of these... and FLAT HEAD WOOD SCREWS. I HATE flat head screws. Why I even saved them is beyond me. And bent screws... or screws that the philips bit filled in with liquid nails or some other drech. Screws that required an Allen wrench to screw in.... probably a pull out from some pre-fab shelves from the 80's.
    I pulled out POUNDS of flat head screws and those worthless screws in the baggies.... threw it all out.
    I live within 5 min of Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards.
    Why did I keep all this? No more... I'm done. So, who's with me! Get rid of all that useless hardware!!!
    <\rant>
    But I did find this nice brass screw... ooohhh Shinny!
    faz

Durham is your friend. You need a few of these. Life saver. Did this a few years ago and never looked back. 2 small screw cabinets and I bought a blue bin system that is a total solution for everything pinball. These 2 together support my massive hobby and I can part down games and put in the right bins and find parts immediately. Great stuff.

https://www.grainger.com/category/material-handling-cabinets-compartmented-drawer-cabinets/ecatalog/N-oyh/Ntt-storage+bin+draws?sst=All&ts_optout=true

https://www.grainger.com/product/DURHAM-Bin-Cabinets-WP5706975/_/N-i8c/Ntt-storage+bin+cabinets?EndecaKeyword=storage+bin+cabinets&NLSCM=14&searchBar=true&searchRedirect=storage+bin+cabinets&sst=All&s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1UBK4_AS01?$smthumb$

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Pegboard. I rate a man's manliness by the amount of pegboard he has in his house.

Well I guess I am a womanly woman because I can't stand pegboard. Absolutely hate it.

#48 3 years ago

Oh man I have to start thinking what I'm gonna do with my 12x22 garage/shop addition. It will be used for pinball and car stuff and woodworking. These pictures are giving me some ideas. Anyone have a dust filtration system in their shop?

#49 3 years ago

OK, confession time...in a part of my job, I teach people how to organize their crap. My problem (among many others) is I don't have a pain in the a$$ consultant standing over my shoulder asking me how I use things, how often, and what is the most logical place for me to put something. Yes, I know I'm rationalizing, but I haven't found the system that works for me yet. One of my challenges is space, so my 15X10 gameroom has to be my workshop as well. For now, I have things in a mix of toolboxes that I organized by game type/function - EM, Soldering, Cleaning, etc. and bins with lids, Rubber Rings, Coils/Brackets, etc. When not in use, that stuff goes on some bookshelves I got at Target, which have magic sliders on them so they can move easily. And somehow or other, I still have a bunch of open bins with random crap as described by the OP. I KNOW I should just dump/recycle about 98% of the crap, but geez, that's hard.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Anyone have a dust filtration system in their shop?

I kinda like my setup.

I have a dust collector for sawdust/wood chips in a small closet off my shop. The room is sealed except for a single large hole that I fit a furnace filter over. Air+ sucked in filter, clean air returned through the filter back into my shop.

The dust collector mostly gets wood chips but a lot of dust goes in there too. I have a few hoses off it. One goes on the bottom of the tablesaw ... the other one can attach to any device or be set up next to the tool.

The fine dust that comes out of the dust collector bag is picked up by the furnace filters.

I looked into a room filter but the amount of dust in the air is pretty trivial at this point.

When I sand, I have a box that has a hose collar on it; dust gets sucked into that.

I'll add some pics tonight.
    faz

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MicksPinball
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.99
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    $ 18.95
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside