(Topic ID: 331543)

Screw snapped flush with playfield, how to extract?

By dstudeba

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by tonyf1965
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
23 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I was cleaning up my Rescue 911 and there was a screw that was really tough and it snapped off. I don't think trying to further unscrew it is the solution since it already snapped the screw when I had better leverage on it. Is there a good way to try to remove the anchor from the backside? Do I have to drill the anchor out? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg23 (resized).jpg23 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

From the top side of the playfield, use a small punch(your broken screw will even work) and a hammer to lightly tap the broken screw out. The t-nut & the broken screw will pop out from the bottom side.

#3 1 year ago

Take a punch and tap the center of the broken stud from the top. It will drive the T nut and the broken stud out. Purchase a new T nut and stud.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from dstudeba:

I was cleaning up my Rescue 911 and there was a screw that was really tough and it snapped off. I don't think trying to further unscrew it is the solution since it already snapped the screw when I had better leverage on it. Is there a good way to try to remove the anchor from the backside? Do I have to drill the anchor out? Any help is appreciated, thanks.[quoted image][quoted image]

I've had this happen. With what you have at home right now, go pull out your allen wrench set and find the closest size wrench to the top of the screw you can find WITHOUT BEING LARGER. Place the allenwrench on top of the screw and gently tap with a hammer. The T-Nut will pop right out with the screw inside. You will have to buy a replacement T-Nut but if you have any old playfields or wallhangers around you can rob one using the same method.

#5 1 year ago

Ran into this on my Stargate and got help from another member here. As others said you have to punch it out, I think I just used the broken post as the punch, didn't take much to knock it out. The part number for the post screw is GTB-20196 and the T-nuts are size 6-32 part number HDW-6-32.

I snapped one post screw before learning that Gottlieb used a thread locker and you need to use a soldering iron to heat up the screw from under the playfield to loosen the thread lock before trying to turn it. No more broken posts.

#6 1 year ago

@grbgemen, @generalgman, @sataneatscheese, & Bonk thanks for all the input, I never would have thought of that. Sure enough I used a punch and a tack hammer and with three taps the broken piece was out! You can't see it in the picture, but Bonk was right about the locktite holding the screw in. Unfortunately I only had spare post screws that screw directly into the wood so I filled the hole with toothpicks and used a wood screw post so it could get up and running until my next parts order. Unless I forget about it until it ends up on the worst hacks thread.
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

1 year later
#7 3 days ago
Quoted from Bonk:

Ran into this on my Stargate and got help from another member here. As others said you have to punch it out, I think I just used the broken post as the punch, didn't take much to knock it out. The part number for the post screw is GTB-20196 and the T-nuts are size 6-32 part number HDW-6-32.
I snapped one post screw before learning that Gottlieb used a thread locker and you need to use a soldering iron to heat up the screw from under the playfield to loosen the thread lock before trying to turn it. No more broken posts.

Wow, I dont think these will come out without braking them. Heating up with soldering iron really did not help me. I am replacing red star post with clear ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screw-snapped-flush-with-playfield-how-to-extract and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.