(Topic ID: 187651)

Screw hole damagage repair?

By DaveBuckholts

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2e927cec3c10b41bc5eb4fcd488a93d7 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

So, I'm retheming a pin and will be sanding the old one down smooth.
    Do you guys think it would be advantageous to repair the lifted areas or just sanding it down suffice?
    I'm thinking some wood glue and clamping may save some wood for " bite" but it could lift again?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I would just sand it down and fix any of the holes if the screw holes are stripped, cant see it being worth the effort, cause it will most likeley lift again when you tighten the post down anyway.

#3 6 years ago

True. Probably overkill.

#4 6 years ago

Just sanding them could casue the wood to splinter even further leaving large gouges. Cut the lifted areas out with an exact-o knife, fill them in with wood filler, then sand smooth. TBH doesn't have to be perfect since most of those will be under posts and what not.

#5 6 years ago

If you really want to make a great repair you would have to use a ball punch to press the wood grain down and back into the hole, then fill with bondo, then sand, then reclear etc...

2e927cec3c10b41bc5eb4fcd488a93d7 (resized).jpg2e927cec3c10b41bc5eb4fcd488a93d7 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

"DOMBING"?

#7 6 years ago

Man I messed up that subject line....!
    Good call on the splintering while sanding.
    Ball punches look promising. I don't feel the dents would need to be filled either, being under post and all.

#8 6 years ago

If they go under a post then yes just ball punch and the rest is history. Grab the ball punch one size bigger than the hole. For the bigger affected areas just use a bigger ball punch. And gently give it a tap. Done and done

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screw-hole-damagage-repair?hl=davebuckholts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.