You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

124210.0 (resized).jpg
C6DD9C19-C77A-4106-8BF9-1EE754BDCE95 (resized).jpeg
2B11751B-9699-4DD8-B2A4-19CD5CA98CF1 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I recently purchased a LW3 and noticed one of the posts near the right hand outlane was missing. I went to replace the post with a new one and noticed that the original post had broken off and the thread is still in the playfield.

I was wondering what is the best way to remove the old post base. I assume it is to drill it out although was wondering if there is another way to remove the screw while minimising any damage to the playfield.

2B11751B-9699-4DD8-B2A4-19CD5CA98CF1 (resized).jpeg2B11751B-9699-4DD8-B2A4-19CD5CA98CF1 (resized).jpegC6DD9C19-C77A-4106-8BF9-1EE754BDCE95 (resized).jpegC6DD9C19-C77A-4106-8BF9-1EE754BDCE95 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

There are screw extractors for wood which you can purchase. They're usually either tiny hole-saws that remove the screw and a small amount of wood around it or fluted bits that attempt to grab what remains of the screw. The latter is very hit or miss in my experience. In either case you'd need to fill the hole afterwards, potentially with a small dowel if using the hole-saw types, and re-tap the hole with a bit.

I've not had to remove a broken screw from anything that has art on it before though so someone else may have a less intrusive suggestion.

#3 3 years ago

Make sure there's not a T-Nut on the bottom of the playfield that the screw went through. I can't tell from the photo if that is just a wood screw or if it goes all the way through . If there is a T-Nut, you should be able to pry that off, bringing the rest of the broken screw with it.

Chris

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Make sure there's not a T-Nut on the bottom of the playfield that the screw went through. I can't tell from the photo if that is just a wood screw or if it goes all the way through . If there is a T-Nut, you should be able to pry that off, bringing the rest of the broken screw with it.
Chris

That was going to be my suggestion too. I think the screw below is a T nut since it is counter sunk for the inlane. Go slow if you take that one off too in case the same thing happens. If either or are wood screws you can convert with a T nut. Just make sure to take out any lighting inserts under the playfield before you do any drilling.

Since the ball bumps into that missing post a lot you might lose more wood from the playfield if you try another wood screw there.

#5 3 years ago

Unfortunately the screw is not a t-nut and it is a wood screw. Looks like I will need to use a screw extractor. The hole does go all the way though the playfield so was not sure if it could be drilled out from the bottom and then refilled to minimise any damage to the top of the playfield.

#6 3 years ago

Get woodcraft screw extractor

You can remove it from the bottom of the playfield

Plug hole with 1/4" dowel slice

Re drill pilot hole and install new post screw.
124210.0 (resized).jpg124210.0 (resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

Thanks for the assistance. I also feel this will be the best and cleanest way to fix this issue.
Looks like a trip to the hardware store.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

Thanks for the assistance. I also feel this will be the best and cleanest way to fix this issue.
Looks like a trip to the hardware store.

Glad I could help?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

How can you accurately figure the location from the bottom if the screw does not go all the way through the playfield?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

How can you accurately figure the location from the bottom if the screw does not go all the way through the playfield?

Tap broken shaft with a punch or Nail Set, it will dome on the backside of the playfield.

#11 3 years ago

I would get the screw extractor as was mentioned, drill it out from the top (blowouts can be ugly) so you are properly centered. Clamp a block or hold tightly to underside to prevent blowout there as well. Replace with a T-nut / correct screw and done.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

Those are nice. I think I'll get a set right now.

#13 3 years ago

If the screw broke off 1/2 way below the surface, you only have to run the extractor 1/2 way through the back.

#14 3 years ago

On this occasion I was lucky as the post hole went all the way through the playfield so it was easy to align.

After a trip to the hardware store I found that the extractors are not easily sourced in Australia.

After thinking about it I decided to drill it out slowly from the bottom. On this occasion I got lucky as it drilled out with no damage to the playfield.

Thanks for everyone’s input and suggestions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screw-has-broken-off-in-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.