(Topic ID: 15683)

Screw gameplay...Whats the best looking pin?? Opinions!!

By Rick471

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by aeneas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kiss_playfield.jpg
    big_juicy_melons_pinball.jpg
    147.jpg
    146.jpg
    image-7.jpeg
    image-8.jpg
    1682f1.jpg
    medusa3.jpg
    Medusa.jpg
    DSC01582.jpg
    DSC01593.jpg
    image-29.jpg
    cableft.JPG
    silverball-mania.jpg
    white_water_topper.00.gif
    whitewater-pf.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

I like Diner. The 50s soda jerk diner style art just does it for me.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

No, I compared the Paragon backglass to the Dogs Playing Poker

Right, so you still compared his art to dogs playing poker.

It's obvious you do not like Faris' artwork and I do. We have different opinions. Move along.

#53 11 years ago

Another one came to mind, gottlieb haunted house. The plans drawn artwork is so great, and the lights flickering on the back glass and the gloomy sky looks really animated, very ahead of its time

#54 11 years ago

Here's another vote for Paragon. IMHO, it's not just the backglass that makes this the best looking pinball of all time. C'mon, show me a better looking playfield.

DSC01593.jpgDSC01593.jpg DSC01582.jpgDSC01582.jpg

#55 11 years ago

I did not know that the girl on Paragon's backglass is Faris' wife. Nice work, Mr. Faris!

#56 11 years ago

"show me a better looking playfield"

How about one without all that wear

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

How about one without all that wear

Well, I didn't want to steal anyone else's pictures...so yeah, that' my slightly worn playfield screaming for a nice restoration.

#58 11 years ago

I love playing the new DMD era games, but as far as looks are concerned the late 70's early 80's games crush the new games! Early Bally SS games are my favorite. Fathom, Medusa, Centaur, Paragon, Flash Gordon, etc. I also like classic Sterns like Star Gazer as well. Here is a pic of a HEP Medusa playfield that just blows me away!

Medusa.jpgMedusa.jpg

#59 11 years ago

I'll try that again.

// Error: Image 26037 not found //

#60 11 years ago

^^^ Agreed! If we're only looking at actual painted artwork, it's hard to beat Bally from the 70's and 80's.
    For total package beauty, JPop games get the win in my book.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Right, so you still compared his art to dogs playing poker.

It's obvious you do not like Faris' artwork and I do. We have different opinions. Move along.

Sorry, you're right, I shouldn't have made that comparison; any one of the Dogs Playing Poker paintings are better.

Obviously, if you read my posts, you would read that I already mentioned that I liked some of Faris' work 3 or 4 times, despite his controversial methods/inspiration. Xenon is easily one the best looking pins ever made, imho. If the gameplay was better, I definitely would have kept the nice one I had.

And if you think the Paragon backglass is a 'masterpiece', well, then that's just super-duper. But it isn't.

Dave Christensen's Nitro Ground Shaker was nutty and he didn't rip-off Ed Roth. His Mata Hari is nice too.

1682f1.jpg1682f1.jpg

#62 11 years ago

Jd is pretty sweet

#64 11 years ago

Spanish Eyes? Barrrrrffffff!

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Sorry, you're right, I shouldn't have made that comparison; any one of the Dogs Playing Poker paintings are better.

Ok, we get it, you don't like the paragon backglass. Comparing it to dogs playing poker is an insult.

Faris has several masterpieces. The paragon backglass is one of them but Centaur as a complete package is another. It was super-duper to hear him and Jim Patla reminise about Centaur at Expo last October. They really did a great job on that pin and the artwork from Faris during this era, especially Paragon and Centaur are far better than anything produced in the last decade. The detail in his artwork is what sets him apart from the rest IMO. He is by far my favorite pin artist and it's not surprising that I will be acquiring my 5th Faris pin to add to my collection.

#66 11 years ago

Ok, we get it, you don't like the paragon backglass. Comparing it to dogs playing poker is an insult.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult your masterpiece. Who's 'we'?

Centaur, like Paragon, is another of Faris' pins where the detailed playfield and cabinet art is great but the backglass is ... meh. The whole composition is a sideview of the pig-man/motorcycle-centaur-cyborg and his bug-eyed babe with a giant, floating axe behind him. And some orbs up front to fill space. Not very exciting. If you look at other pins from 1981, there are much more interesting backglasses like Fathom, Embryon, Flash Gordon, Viper, Catacomb, among others ... imho.

Congrats on your 5th Faris! If all goes well, I'll soon be acquiring a pin with a translite that Faris painted too! Then we'll be like brothers, joined by our appreciation for Faris!

#67 11 years ago

Black Hole - sucks you in every time

#68 11 years ago

Centaur & Paragon are both amazing looking. I'm more familair with Centaur, but Paragon is just crazy. The artwork is great sure,but the layout of that thing is awesome. Crazy pop bumper area by the left flipper? wow.
    I'm not usually a fan of games around that era, but that thing is something else.

Creature has always been super looking to me, as well as TZ, but I don't count TZ because I like the theme so much.

#69 11 years ago

TOTAN for the win.

#70 11 years ago

TOTAN isn't bad...not a super fan of the baby blue...but it's a charmer for sure.

Haunted house is another wacky one.

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

cdnpinballer said:

Then we'll be like brothers, joined by our appreciation for Faris!

It's obvious that we're on completely different levels in our appreciation for this artist so I will leave it at that.

#72 11 years ago

The CFTBL, all the way, all day.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

MM needs to be in the conversation.

Why? Cost?

I agree, just based on artwork and looks the DMD era is out of the running. DMD rules in play but artwork I give the edge to Xenon, Centaur, Fathom, and many others from that time.

#74 11 years ago

Big Bang Bar and Scared Stiff.

John

#75 11 years ago

Xenon is gorgeous.

BBB, just for the dancer!

Paragon is a beauty, although that third flipper kind of makes me cross-eyed.

Anyone like Dungeons and Dragons? BG and PF

#76 11 years ago

Seeing Faris and Patla at Expo right while I was in the midst of a p/f swap on Centaur was really inspiring.

#77 11 years ago

BBB is good looking. I think POTC is a good looking game (Stern), I really like the backglass on Kiss. Spiderman is a good looking game as well.

#79 11 years ago

CFTBL

Fantastic all-around, down to the speaker panel and backboard art.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

I like Diner. The 50s soda jerk diner style art just does it for me.

I like diner as well.

#81 11 years ago
    #82 11 years ago

I've always liked the backglass on Jokerz!. The queen looks like she's about 22 and the king looks like he's about 75. Guess which one they focus on (-:

#83 11 years ago

Paragon pics make me want to honorable mention Ballys' Lost World.

#84 11 years ago

+1 Prettiest machine I have ever seen.

#85 11 years ago

Fathom, paragon, medusa, CFTBL, TOTAN all have amazing artwork.
    But
    TRON LE is easily the prettiest pin when it comes to eye candy.

#86 11 years ago

My favorite of all time is Black Knight 2000. So clean and bold, I love the art style on that one. I also played a pin called 'Impacto' at the PHOF this week and fell in love with it's art. Weird, sexy purple chicks? Yes, please. image-7.jpegimage-7.jpeg

4 months later
    #88 11 years ago

It's obvious that we're on completely different levels in our appreciation for this artist so I will leave it at that.

As an amusing sidenote, the member who compared Faris' artwork to dogs playing poker has a recently acquired Paragon sitting in his basement. I guess the backglass isn't so bad afterall.

Paradoxically, I sold mine about a year ago but have always believed it has the nicest bg artwork ever.

Post edited by schmoo : grammar

#89 11 years ago

Space Invaders.

The cabinet and playfield - both absolutely gorgeous.

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I will go against the grain a little bit (TOTAN of course no brainer...) and vote for JD and Genie!
    For backglass, I vote 'Viper' from Stern...

+1 viper

#91 11 years ago

I would give best lighting to WOZ

146.jpg146.jpg 147.jpg147.jpg

#93 11 years ago

I've always thought that LOTR had one of the nicest playfields.

#94 11 years ago

A modern Stern? Really guys? You guys are killing me.

If you want to talk art, you must be talking about the Gottlieb EM's, early solid state alphanumeric Williams, Bally's, or some of the WPC-95s (hell some of the old Stern's were lookers too).

Fireball, Fathom, Barracora, Xenon, Eight Ball & Eight Ball Deluxe, Embryon, Paragon, Captain Fantastic, Quicksilver, Gorgar, Centaur, Phantom of the Opera, the original Playboy from Bally...hell too many to list man. Can't choose a favorite.

#95 11 years ago

In my opinion it is hard to beat a nice TOTAN in the looks department. However, I have a CFTBL from HEP done in black nickel (including wireforms) with a green DMD that is pretty impressive.

George M.

#96 11 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire, Farfalla, Tron LE, Silverball Mania.

#97 11 years ago

Mmmmm melons

Yes! We all love Big Juicy Melons! What say you!!

Ken

big_juicy_melons_pinball.jpgbig_juicy_melons_pinball.jpg

#98 11 years ago

No one has mentioned this one yet, but KISS is my favorite "older" game that I have always loved the art on.. so much that I owned one for over ten years. While I found the gameplay got boring once I got exposed to DMD's, I still loved the way the machine looked..

And I think X-men Wolverine is one of the best looking pins out there right now.

kiss_playfield.jpgkiss_playfield.jpg

#100 11 years ago

totan, cv, cftbl, xmen side art cool,ss playfield and backglass

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screw-gameplaywhats-the-best-looking-pin-opinions/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.