7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Luppin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

machine_nut (resized).png
    machine_screw (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

First of all sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker and quite hard to describe technical stuff.

So, my problem is with the screws that attach mechs to the playfield, under the playfield. Some of them, when being screwed in, keep turning endlessly and do not hold tight. Basically the hole in the wood, filled by the screw, is damaged.
    Unfortunately all four holes relative to a single mech are damaged in this way, so the mech no longer stick tight under the playfield.

How to solve this situation?

#2 7 years ago

in the past when I have had a wood screw fail due to hollowing out of the wood, I simply drill the hole completely through the playfield and then use a machine screw with a star washer/nut on the bottom. be careful when drilling the playfield, and use as close to the same diameter that you can. see attached pics.

machine_screw (resized).jpgmachine_screw (resized).jpg
    machine_nut (resized).pngmachine_nut (resized).png

this has worked with star posts and other items where originally a wood screw was used, but failed.

#3 7 years ago

Alternatively, you can drill out the stripped hole and glue in a dowl of the same diameter you drilled the hole out. Now you have fresh wood to screw into.

#4 7 years ago

Dip a shish-kabob skewer or a few tooth picks in wood glue. Stick them in the hole and snap off flush and let the glue set.

1 week later
    #5 7 years ago

Thanks much Taxman! I did what you suggested and it worked wonders! Mission accomplished 100% !!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screw-do-not-hold?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.