Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by wesman
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image6 (resized).jpeg
    image7 (resized).jpeg
    image5 (resized).jpeg
    image4 (resized).jpeg
    image3 (resized).jpeg
    image1 (resized).jpeg
    image2 (resized).jpeg
    image0 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

---ScreenXL for Stern Spike Machines---

Video:

***First let me disclaim, I do not make or sell these. This is a prototype that was graciously sent to me to install and test, from the good folks at Tu Pinball in Madrid. They’re passionate pinheads like us, and are really proud to introduce this to the community. I promised I’d review it, showcase it, and help them get the word out. They’re committed to producing and selling these soon if the demand is there. I cannot answer questions about ordering, lead times, or anything regarding sales and production. That’s for them to discuss with anyone who wants to inquire. Any sales, technical, or other related questions can be directed to Oscar Terol at [email protected]. That said, I’m only here to show off and discuss what I was given.***

This is ScreenXL. It’s a full plug and play, enlarged and upgraded LCD Display and speaker panel for Stern Spike machines. It includes a significantly larger 18.5” display (Vs. 15.6” stock), a custom built speaker panel with upgraded and slimmer Pioneer speakers, plus all the accessories you need to install, move the existing lock (making room for the screen), as well as secure the other side of the panel. The quality is beyond fantastic, and it looks and feels fully factory.
    Needless to say, pics do not do this thing justice. You have to see it for yourself to fully appreciate how awesome it is. The larger display has a considerable impact on the aesthetics of the game, makes reading the information infinitely easier, sounds way better than the stock speakers, and it just looks cool as hell. Overall it really changes the playing experience. It was fairly simple to install (maybe 30min-1hr, depending on your skillset), and doesn’t require anything but a few common tools. The only negative I can think of is that all my other Spike screens feel small now.

At this time, it’s $650usd for the complete kit, plus tax & international shipping from Spain. In my opinion, that’s an incredible value, especially in context of the price of some mods that don’t have a fraction of the functionality. And let’s be honest, it costs less than most any toppers out there today. I’m not a big mod guy myself, but this is one I’d put on all my Stern Spike games.

I know it sounds like I’m trying to sell it, but they asked me to speak honestly about it. So that’s my sincere review, and also reflects the overwhelming player reactions just in the first days of it being seen by the NYC pinball Community. So if it’s something you’d want for your game, feel free to text Oscar at the previously mentioned email he provided.

If you have any feedback (and i'm sure you will! feel free to comment below. Tu Pinball will be monitoring this thread, and appreciates hearing from you.

If anyone wants to see it in person, come by Jackbar anytime. We’ll be rockin’ it on our Godzilla Premium going forward.
    Thanks for checking it out…

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpegimage6 (resized).jpegimage6 (resized).jpegimage7 (resized).jpegimage7 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

Following this thread. I feel like this would look great in my Mando. Any plans to make upgraded panels for the home variants?

#3 1 year ago

IMO not worth the three extra inches for $650.

#4 1 year ago

Is there a spot to move the pro or premium badge?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gubbin:

Following this thread. I feel like this would look great in my Mando. Any plans to make upgraded panels for the home variants?

I'm not certain. that's a good question. I'd suggest emailing Oscar at the email address in the post.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I'd pay $650 for 3 extra inches, but not in a pinball machine.

The mod is cool though, its just not for me.

#7 1 year ago

Where are they sourcing the screen? Stern uses an industrial-rated LCD that has very good picture quality and low failure rate; are they sourcing a similar screen or is it just a standard desktop panel replacement?

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I'd pay $650 for 3 extra inches, but not in a pinball machine.
    The mod is cool though, its just not for me.

So many jokes there I'd be interested if it were the entire backglass.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Where are they sourcing the screen? Stern uses an industrial-rated LCD that has very good picture quality and low failure rate; are they sourcing a similar screen or is it just a standard desktop panel replacement?

I'm not really familiar with the technical specs, unfortunately. I can only say that it just seems to me like a bigger version of what comes with the machine, and the picture quality is fantastic. We've put hours on it so far, and never experienced any failure. But Oscar at Tu Pinball would be the better person to ask.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Is there a spot to move the pro or premium badge?

not on the one pictured, as it's an early sample unit. but they're familiar with the concern and say they plan to implement it in the future.

#11 1 year ago

Leaving a 1 star Yelp review on this

4 months later
    #12 10 months ago

Did anyone end up buying this?

3 months later
    #13 6 months ago

These gentlemen did a panel at Expo.

I was just checking it out, and searched for more info, and found this thread!

I've always wanted 4K displays personally, and ideally OLED.

Gas anyone purchased one yet?

#14 6 months ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I'll take out of context quotes for $500 please Alex.

#15 6 months ago

Just skipped to the end, they're looking for an American distributor.

No screen resolution upgrade/difference, as that would involve software manipulation.

Worst case price would be 1K. To me if they do float that high, this makes this less than ideal.

They did/do have two Stern games on hand demoing it, in case someone is still at Expo and interestedly.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screenxl-for-stern-spike-machines-review-amp-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.