(Topic ID: 190177)

Screen writers?

By Leakyfaucet

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Leakyfaucet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Just curious if there were any screen writers out there. I'm about 40 minutes (of screen time) into my first script.... Family, children, business and pinball take up almost all of my time but I'm about to buckle down and hammer out the rest of my screenplay.

#7 6 years ago

When I first came up with the idea, I wrote knowing it would be low budget. It's heavily dialogue based, has only a few main characters and the locations are found almost anywhere, mostly public places. When I first started writing I even considered shooting it guerrilla style but as its progressed I see the need for the story to be shot in a more professional style to show the true beauty of the story.

Thanks for your responses. It would fail as an animation unless it was shot and colored like, A Scanner Darkly or Waking Life but that would double production costs. I'm not even sure I would want to direct it or produce it. Maybe shoot a trailer and do the the crowd funding thing. I want to see it to fruition but have so many other ends to the candle burning. Writing is something I do daily. Directing not so much...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Buy the book "saving the cat". That should help you out as a screenwriter.

Dude! I bought that last night since I decided to buckle down and finish.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've heard really good things from pros I am friends with that doing a trailer is good practice, sort of like a treatment for the actual shoot. It forces you to work out logistics and basic blocking and can also help you realize how to cut down your script. I had one friend in particular tell me it made him cut almost his whole script because the trailer basically told the whole story. He rewrote it significantly and ... let's just say that worked out really really well for him

I had the idea of the trailer and the logistics of it long before the whole story. It will leave you wanting more....

#15 6 years ago

I'll let yall know first!

#19 6 years ago

I'm a total rookie. First script. I know it's good though. The story came to me in an instant, all at once. After I finish the current project, I'm immediately starting my second. When I was 16 I graduated high school and took a year off to rest (party) and then, applied and was accepted into film school. The Friday before the Monday I would have started, I was wrongfully accused, arrested, and incarcerated. Lost my spot. Got married, had babies, had to have a career.... became what I knew already. (A plumber) Now that my business is growing and I'm having more free time, I want to get back to passions.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I wish you the best, just keep in mind scripts are subjective just like pinball machines. What you like doesn't always mean it will be what the distribution companies are looking for. A movie with out distribution which ever means your planning. Studios-Netflix-Indi- or film festivals are DOA if they can't see your visions. It's like I ask people all the time who is the leading roll in POTC? If you said jack sparrow then your wrong. He was the rogue actor. Elizabeth Swann & Henry Turner were the lead actors (or what we call a buddy movie). The underlying values jumped back and forth with Jack. He did such a great job that everyone thinks he's the lead. Go back and watch that movie. Look at Star Wars. Han Solo was not a good guy. His values lined up more with the dark side but threw Luke's values he flys into save the day. He just hated the empire because they were after him. Star Wars was an amazing movie from a writers stand point because of the values and underling values always pulling against each other. However, George Lucas did not write Star Wars. Anyway, take your time. You have 3 acts in a movie. So you can have more but that can be very risky. Most do not work. Hopefully this will help you.

Thanks! I'll take any advice I can get.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Leakyfaucet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/screen-writers?tu=Leakyfaucet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.