Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Rager170
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Krusty.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hello,

Sorry if this isnt posted in the correct location and also if it is a very "newb" question but that is what I am at this point!

I bought TWD table over the past weekend (NIB) and have been playing it of course, and this morning I noticed that there are some scratches on the playfield, mainly between the slingshots. I am assuming that this is normal wear and just scratches to the wax but i wanted to see what you guys think? The scratches are very thin, and really are only noticeable at certain low angles with lights on it. I am able to see them when the table is off due to a light in my ceiling which is over the machine.

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question. I am just paranoid about my new machine hahaha.

#2 8 years ago

Did you put in nice new pinballs in? Didn't use the ones Stern provided did you? If so I suggest buying some new quality pinballs and putting them in there.

#3 8 years ago

Stern installs terrible quality balls in their new games. Did you replace them?

#4 8 years ago

Get some good new Carbon Core balls; don't use the ones that came with the game.

#5 8 years ago

No, I did not replace the Stern Balls. Really, that could cause this even being less than a week old?

#6 8 years ago

Yep, I've seen others with many more scratches on a brand new game. The balls are junk. I've never seem this happen on a Bally/Williams/Data East/Sega classic. Gotta love that Stern quality!

#7 8 years ago

Uggh very annoying but thanks for the info. I assume these very fine scratches will come out no problem. Ive read a little on waxing and polishing... Dont think I will do it yet but..

Oh, can you guys give me some suggestions for the best balls for a table with magnets?

Thanks again.

#8 8 years ago

Keep your game waxed and check your pinballs regularly to make sure they don't have any nicks in them. That's essentially how a playfield would get damaged.

I'm guessing your game is fine and this is somewhat normal. You're probably just catching the light at a certain angle and it's reflecting off the clear and showing scratches. If this was in different lighting or an arcade you would never notice.

Do you have some pictures of it?

Quoted from Rager170:

Oh, can you guys give me some suggestions for the best balls for a table with magnets?

Buy premium pinballs from Pinball Life. They are $1.50. Inspect them, because sometimes they aren't perfect when you get them.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Quoted from swampfire:

Get some good new Carbon Core balls.

#10 8 years ago

I've never bought a new Stern...so I can't chime in on their ball quality.

The balls that cam with my MMr looked as though they already had at least 100 plays on them....they were really beat to sh!t.

Needless to say, I installed new shiny balls from PBL.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I've never bought a new Stern...so I can't chime in on their ball quality.

I have.

Krusty.jpgKrusty.jpg

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Stern installs terrible quality balls in their new games. Did you replace them?

Agreed. I couldn't believe how bad the balls were that came with a NIB MET. I figured I'd use the buffer on them and be set, but I took one look at them and threw them away.

Otherwise, my MET came with a couple small playfield scratches from the factory.

#13 8 years ago

Its kinda normal- very fine scratches are going to result from playing a game (this is somewhat controllable). You will also start to see dimpling (tiny, small divots) this is also normal (not controllable). You will notice this stuff a lot early, then as you play it more the defects will accumulate to the point that you no longer notice them- its almost like the game will start looking pristine, go through a period where it will annoy you and then with enough play it will end up looking better again. There are a number of threads that discuss (overly IMHO) this observation and new games. If you deeply care, look them up (I don't recall, but search dimpling, scratches, new games etc) and you too can waste days reading about this....

Totally understand the question, just remember, you have a piece of wood (soft compared to a steel ball) covered by a thin layer of clear and the ball is going to bounce and drag across the surface. If it bounces it will dimple the wood, if it drags it can scratch the top clear...

IMHO you have some control over the scratching by using wax and fresh high quality pinballs. The dimpling is physics, wood is softer than steel, nothing you or anyone else can do to fix that. Play- enjoy, repeat...

You have a great game!

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

Its kinda normal- very fine scratches are going to result from playing a game (this is somewhat controllable). You will also start to see dimpling (tiny, small divots) this is also normal (not controllable). You will notice this stuff a lot early, then as you play it more the defects will accumulate to the point that you no longer notice them- its almost like the game will start looking pristine, go through a period where it will annoy you and then with enough play it will end up looking better again. There are a number of threads that discuss (overly IMHO) this observation and new games. If you deeply care, look them up (I don't recall, but search dimpling, scratches, new games etc) and you too can waste days reading about this....
    Totally understand the question, just remember, you have a piece of wood (soft compared to a steel ball) covered by a thin layer of clear and the ball is going to bounce and drag across the surface. If it bounces it will dimple the wood, if it drags it can scratch the top clear...
    IMHO you have some control over the scratching by using wax and fresh high quality pinballs. The dimpling is physics, wood is softer than steel, nothing you or anyone else can do to fix that. Play- enjoy, repeat...
    You have a great game!

Very good! Thanks so much for the information, very helpful to me and calms my nerves hahaha.

Thanks to everyone else as well. This is a very welcoming forum!

#15 8 years ago

You should wax your game the moment you get it.

The wax will help protect the playfield from scratches.

Examine your balls carefully, you may have a nick in one of them.

Get new balls (always buy some extra to replace nicked ones a few times a year), get a coat of wax on that thing.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Hello,
    Sorry if this isnt posted in the correct location and also if it is a very "newb" question but that is what I am at this point!
    I bought TWD table over the past weekend (NIB) and have been playing it of course, and this morning I noticed that there are some scratches on the playfield, mainly between the slingshots. I am assuming that this is normal wear and just scratches to the wax but i wanted to see what you guys think? The scratches are very thin, and really are only noticeable at certain low angles with lights on it. I am able to see them when the table is off due to a light in my ceiling which is over the machine.
    Again, sorry if this is a dumb question. I am just paranoid about my new machine hahaha.

What distributor did you buy your game from?

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure beats a bad case of elephantitis.

#18 8 years ago

Normal to see these scratches on nib Sterns from what i have seen especially if your playfield is directly under a light and you are viewing it at the right angle, some NIB pins from Stern seem worse then otheres, but they all have them. I wouldn't examine it too much otherwise you might notice other "defects" such a slightly duller areas in the clear which seems common with Stern pins as of late

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

What distributor did you buy your game from?

I bought it from Automated Services. They are very close to where I live... But ive played it a weeks time before I noticed it..

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Off2War:

Normal to see these scratches on nib Sterns from what i have seen especially if your playfield is directly under a light and you are viewing it at the right angle, some NIB pins from Stern seem worse then otheres, but they all have them. I wouldn't examine it too much otherwise you might notice other "defects" such a slightly duller areas in the clear which seems common with Stern pins as of late

Yes, I am not sure if they were there when it first came. Noticed after a few days of good play time. I can be a bit OCD with things so im just going to not worry so much and enjoy the table.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You should wax your game the moment you get it.
    The wax will help protect the playfield from scratches.
    Get new balls (always buy some extra to replace nicked ones a few times a year), get a coat of wax on that thing.

I still just cant believe someone would have to wax their playfield from a brand new game. That just seems crazy to me. The table is a slick as it can be it seems!

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

I still just cant believe someone would have to wax their playfield from a brand new game. That just seems crazy to me. The table is a slick as it can be it seems!

Well this isn't like a video game. This is a physical ball bashing into plastic, metal, and wooden parts. There's gonna be some wear. It's just a question of how much you want to slow down the wear. Wax helps protect the playfield. Does the manual say to wax the playfield? Surely it does. Did you read the manual?

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Well this isn't like a video game. This is a physical ball bashing into plastic, metal, and wooden parts. There's gonna be some wear. It's just a question of how much you want to slow down the wear. Wax helps protect the playfield. Does the manual say to wax the playfield? Surely it does. Did you read the manual?

I did and I do not see where it says to wax the playfield. I understand it will need to be waxed but as mentioned, just surprised I would need to do it right away.

Edit - There is no mention of waxing the playfield in the game manual..

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

I still just cant believe someone would have to wax their playfield from a brand new game. That just seems crazy to me.

When you buy a new car, do you have to wax it , even though it looks shiny?

Do you have to rub the leather seats with Mink Oil even though it looks supple?

Do you put a full size tire on the spare rim, even though it came with a shitty little doughnut?

-

If you are lucky enough to afford a brand new expensive toy, the least you can do is take care of it, lol.....

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

When you buy a new car, do you have to wax it , even though it looks shiny?
    Do you have to rub the leather seats with Mink Oil even though it looks supple?
    Do you put a full size tire on the spare rim, even though it came with a shitty little doughnut?
    -
    If you are lucky enough to afford a brand new expensive toy, the least you can do is take care of it, lol.....

No, you do not need to do that stuff to a new car. Although people believe you need to do those things to a car, you do not as it is unnecessary. Car detailing is something I am familiar with. I also see a lot of people who believe they need to polish their car often also and this is a mistake as well...

If the pinball crowd is anything like car enthusiasts, then there will be people who are paranoid about certain things more so than others. Im not saying anyone is wrong, but im not really seeing how a very thin layer of wax is really going to protect it that much more from a heavy silver ball bouncing all over a playfield. I understand the theory of it but not completely convinced that waxing is going to completely prevent these things from happening.

If there any chance that the fine scratches I see are simply scratches to the wax layer?

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

If there any chance that the fine scratches I see are simply scratches to the wax layer?

If you are familiar with car detailing, then you know there are no scratches that exist only in the wax layer.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you are familiar with car detailing, then you know there are no scratches that exist only in the wax layer.

True enough.. If these things are coated like cars, then I will just have to get used to scratches, nicks and dents as these things happen and repair when maintenance time comes around. Seems as if it is impossible to completely avoid them from happening. Hell, you wax a car to try and protect it from the elements. It would never ever hold up against a pinball running over it constantly.

#28 8 years ago

Enjoy your game. If you're incredibly concerned about this, but a spare playfield from Stern now, have it re-cleared and stash it away.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

No, you do not need to do that stuff to a new car. Although people believe you need to do those things to a car, you do not as it is unnecessary. Car detailing is something I am familiar with. I also see a lot of people who believe they need to polish their car often also and this is a mistake as well...

Same for a pinball. You do not need to take care of it. But if you want it to keep it's worth you should. Owning a pinball machine is lot more work than playing one on location. I'm learning that as well. They are easy to buy but a person should understand there is maintenance with rubbers and light bulbs to replace and wax and cleaning involved.

#30 8 years ago

Are there pics of these scratches? Everyone keeps talking about them being normal so I'm guessing there was a picture that was removed as you wouldn't know if your scratches are normal or not without that. You will get scratches in your PF and waxing will help prevent and cover them up. Dimpling should be much more noticeable though than scratches after a couple of plays. Dimpling is also 100% normal.

Since you are familiar with car detailing. The "normal" scratches for a game out of the box with a handful of plays on it will look to be the same size/depth and texture of swirl marks. While not in a swirl they would resemble them in look and texture. Those are normal. Outside of that, it may be abnormal.

#31 8 years ago

Fine scratches in the clear coat are totally normal, as are small dimples from ball impacts. These scratches will come right out with an occasional Novus 2 polishing. Follow that with a carnuba wax application. Use good quality pinballs. Install Clify protectors. That's all you need to do to keep your playfield in excellent shape.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Are there pics of these scratches? Everyone keeps talking about them being normal so I'm guessing there was a picture that was removed as you wouldn't know if your scratches are normal or not without that. You will get scratches in your PF and waxing will help prevent and cover them up. Dimpling should be much more noticeable though than scratches after a couple of plays. Dimpling is also 100% normal.
    Since you are familiar with car detailing. The "normal" scratches for a game out of the box with a handful of plays on it will look to be the same size/depth and texture of swirl marks. While not in a swirl they would resemble them in look and texture. Those are normal. Outside of that, it may be abnormal.

Hey,

I dont even know if I would be able to capture them in an image. I can tell you they remind me exactly of swirl marks that you would find in a car and also that there are not a whole lot of them but just something that I noticed. You cant see them looking directly at the table. I can only see them with a glare at a low angle, just like very minor swirls on a car.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Fine scratches in the clear coat are totally normal, as are small dimples from ball impacts. These scratches will come right out with an occasional Novus 2 polishing. Follow that with a carnuba wax application. Use good quality pinballs. Install Clify protectors. That's all you need to do to keep your playfield in excellent shape.

This is what I was assuming and thanks for the reply. Some people on this forum make it out to sound as if any scratches are rare and that means that the owner must not be doing something right.

Since the comparison seems to always go back to cars, I take every precaution necessary with my cars. My friends think im absolutely ridiculous with how I am to them. And yet, I still manage to find swirl type marks here and there... Basically to say, some things really are just about impossible to prevent from happening unless it is never used.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

I bought it from Automated Services. They are very close to where I live... But ive played it a weeks time before I noticed it..

Next time you are looking for a pin check out prices to compare from JJ (GameExchange) and Trent (Tilt Amusements)

There is another couple good guys off the top of my head......Mike in Massachusetts (whats his username? Has a HULK avatar? Anyone?), I forget his company name as Ive never bought from him, also Greg from Pinball Pro http://pinballpro.net

Might save you a bundle of cash, I don't know what you bought yours for but these guys usually have lower pricing. Automated isn't loved too much around here. Comes on and spams the FS forum with overpriced pins.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Next time you are looking for a pin check out prices to compare from JJ (GameExchange) and Trent (Tilt Amusements)
    There is another couple good guys off the top of my head......Mike in Massachusetts (whats his username? Has a HULK Avatar? Anyone?), I forget his company name as Ive never bought from him, also Greg from Pinball Pro http://pinballpro.net
    Might save you a bundle of cash, I don't know what you bought yours for but these guys usually have lower pricing. Automated isn't loved too much around here. Comes on and spams the FS forum with overpriced pins.

Yea, well I bought the machine NIB and he knocked the pricing down, free shipping and delivery and included setup in my house as well because I told him I knew I could get it cheaper out of state due to not paying taxes. I wasnt really aware that you could haggle them down too much for the new machines. Used ones obviously you can...

But the info is good to know for the future, thanks!

#37 8 years ago

Also, I got a response from Stern regarding the question of if their new machines are waxed:

"A light coat of wax is applied before shipping. This is done mostly to clean the playfield. If your start to see scratches or ball marks I would clean it using playfield wax"

Not sure how to take it exactly lol. But lets just say I will most likely do a quick wax soon...

Question about the waxing, Ive done cars obviously but I bought the Treasure Cove wax (yes I know, should have gotten a paste) but is this stuff going to dust everywhere when buffing off? And if so, whats the best way to get that off? Just vacuum?

#39 8 years ago

Lol whoops. That was the one step I didnt read. Definitely good info! For cars I typically prefer sealants over waxes (personal preference) and they tend to shed a lot of dust. Anyways, thanks once again. Always great info and learning a lot. I feel i was a bit in the dark about pinball maintenance but like anything, hard work pays off in the long run...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scratches-on-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.