(Topic ID: 336378)

Scratch build- Medusa or Centaur or both?

By Gotpins

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8871 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8872 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8870 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8869 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8868 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8867 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8863 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8854 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8853 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8847 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8846 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8845 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8842 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8840 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

I’d like to have a Medusa that looks like an original machine even though its made up of junk and has the heart of a Stern game. So to get medusa images on the drops I could use white Stern drop targets and make medusa decals for them. But having stickers on drops is not appropriate for this era…it would bother me.
So that got me to wondering if Pinball Resource could hot stamp the medusa image on a stern style drop target? After an email and phone call, Steve graciously agreed to make some up in his free time for me! If that’s not fantastic customer service I don’t know what is! Thanks you Steve! I ordered up 20 drops to last my lifetime with this machine. Then it’s someone else’s problem. Ha!

I'm looking at using a Stern 6 target bank from Meteor in Fathom.

#26 11 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

You should call Steve and have him make you some drops while he has the jig set up for making mine. It will save him time. He will appreciate that!

I was just going to modify the Stern mechs to use Bally drops.

My biggest hurdle is going to be the 3x inline drops with individual trips.

Already sourced the 3x ball trough. The individual gates I'm going to make from scratch.

2 weeks later
#60 10 months ago

I applaud the work you are doing here, Medusa has some of the best Bally art! I had one for a few weeks and for whatever reason could not get into the gameplay, Centaur was much more to my tastes.

#67 10 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

That's why I need a Centaur too!
Viva the Cendusa build!

I was actually looking at making the underplayfield ball handling mech from 3D printed ABS that would attached to the stock locations. Figured it would be a nice little sale item once I had it scienced out for guys like us scratch building. I still might, have a new playfield and several other mechs but with my personal life in crisis mode not a priority at the moment.

#70 10 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

I didn't acknowledge yet that odd coil bar thingie was for an EM and could be 120 volts. It's similar to the ball release in a Skeeball. Strange setup.
The zipper mech I'm thinking I can make look like this one from Mudflaps pics. I figure I can make a bracket to attach to my mech to hold the correct coil. At least that's my idea thus far. I'm open to suggestions. Or if someone has this bracket for sale, I'd be your new best friend!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a Baazer in the garage if you need pictures.

#75 10 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

If you have time, and the machine is easy to get to, sure, I’d love to see some more pics of a zipper flipper in its natural setting! I’m going off pics I find on the internets to make this thing happen. The more pics the better in my opinion. Thanks!

I will do so tomorrow.

1 month later
#99 9 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

And it all got wired up this morning. I’m waiting on an order from mouser with some molex connectors for this and the other mechs I wish to make removable. I’ll need to remove the playfield from the rotisserie to install the back panel. Maybe that will happen later today. Who knows.
I have an half baked idea for the light baffles for the back light panel and the red plastic cover. I need to acquire some materials first. More to come on that another day. Thanks for watching!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Excellent work, was wondering how you were going to do the back panel.

#102 9 months ago

Outstanding!

2 months later
#120 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

In other news….
I attended the Pintastic New England show and was able to acquire a repro backglass for Centaur. Looks like I’m starting to acquire parts for that build. If anyone following has a used or repro silk screened Centaur playfield I’m looking for one.
[quoted image]

I have the last silkscreen CPR playfield, I'm unsure if I'm ever going to use it or not so touch base with me when you have a free moment.

#123 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Does anyone following along have a Bally 4 bank inline drop mech and or a 5 slot drop bank for sale? I have a 3 bank inline mech I could trade if necessary. Please PM me. Thanks!

Actually.. Show me your inline

Pinside_forum_7741216_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7741216_0 (resized).jpg
#125 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Here it is!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Darn! Same as I have. I need two "left hand as seen from the front face" units for a Fathom scratch build.

I have two right hand units, there is going to be a bunch of welding converting them to lefties plus the memory coil brackets.

Pinside_forum_7734135_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7734135_0 (resized).jpg
#126 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Does anyone following along have a Bally 4 bank inline drop mech and or a 5 slot drop bank for sale? I have a 3 bank inline mech I could trade if necessary. Please PM me. Thanks!

Well touch base with me, I'm looking for some parts to Fathom and maybe we can do some horse trading. I was going to do a scratch build of Centaur but that ended up out the window when I found a loaded playfield.

Such is life. I'm content with the worn playfield so the new one and new guides I picked up will be for sale at some point I guess.

I'd be surprised if CPR is doing another silkscreen run, they stated digital print was the future and stated no more silkscreen playfields.

#128 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Who knows what's gonna happen. But here is what the website says. And tracking says it will be delivered tomorrow by 7 pm.
I'll see if I have anything Fathom leftover. But I think I sold it all off awhile back. But I find new things all the time in my travels.
[quoted image]

Nothing really Fathom specific at this point, I think I need mostly post & screw hardware and maybe a Bally upper ball loop I can cut down.

1 week later
#147 6 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Hmm, I'm tempted....But I'm in too deep with making my own at this point. I think the send/cut/send method is way cheaper, more fun, and can be replicated to help others in the future. Plus, maybe I can make the correct drop bank for Medusa now and reuse the stern one for 9-Ball build? IDK, fun!

No worries, thought I'd point it out. I'm not sure on the cheap part after you factor in the coil, link pins and other hardware though. Been there, done that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

£ 195.00
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 85.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scratch-build-medusa-or-centaur-or-both?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.