You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MCR106.png
IMG_5855 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5857 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 months ago

I’m in the middle of ordering some SCRs for a board that I’m working on and it would appear that transistor MCR106-1 (which is called out in the manual/BOM) is no longer available. Does anyone know if MCR106-8 is an acceptable substitute and if there would be any undesirable side effects of switching to these?

#2 6 months ago
Quoted from Nchezey_5916:

transistor MCR106-1 (which is called out in the manual/BOM) is no longer available.

Might help to know what game/manual/BOM you're talking about.

#3 6 months ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Might help to know what game/manual/BOM you're talking about.

Didn’t think all that mattered, thought it was more of a generic question. I suppose application could make a difference though.

It’s for a Bally 6803 (Eight Ball Champ). The SCRs that control the playfield lamps.

IMG_5855 (resized).jpegIMG_5855 (resized).jpegIMG_5857 (resized).jpegIMG_5857 (resized).jpeg
#4 6 months ago

MCR106-8 is an acceptable substitute. Use with confidence.

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from JethroP:

MCR106-8 is an acceptable substitute. Use with confidence.

Awesome! Thank you for confirming.

#6 6 months ago

Didn’t think all that mattered, thought it was more of a generic question. I suppose application could make a difference though.

Yes, true. I was also thinking about people that search Pinside by game name.

#7 6 months ago

This is a great part to buy from LCSC. Western brands are asking like $1ea when you can get them from Asian brands for like $0.10 or less. C106 is a good sub. I think X0405 it is works as well and can be had for cheap.

This KY brand is fine, used a bunch in the TO252 package.
https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/TRIACs_KY-C106M_C2831676.html

https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/2205161616_FUXINSEMI-X0405C_C3018489.pdf

#8 6 months ago

MCR106-1 (which is called out in the manual/BOM) is no longer available. Does anyone know if MCR106-8 is an acceptable substitute

The datasheets tells the difference between the two. The MCR106-1 survives in circuits to a maximum of 30 volts. The MCR106-8 survives in circuits to a maximum of 600 volts. There is no other difference in their specs.

Did you determine from your other related thread whether the SCRs were faulty from the test procedures I mentioned? 15-20 SCRs being faulty seems a stretch.

MCR106.pngMCR106.png

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

The datasheets tells the difference between the two. The MCR106-1 survives in circuits to a maximum of 30 volts. The MCR106-8 survives in circuits to a maximum of 600 volts. There is no other difference in their specs.
Did you determine from your other related thread whether the SCRs were faulty from the test procedures I mentioned? 15-20 SCRs being faulty seems a stretch.
[quoted image]

I just replied back to the other thread, but in short am currently testing. I prematurely ordered a handful of both SCR types, in hopes that if it did end up being the issue, I would be able to resolve more quickly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scr-substitute-question?hl=nchezey_5916 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.