(Topic ID: 190063)

Scotch drinkers club. Let's have a dram!

By Pinhead306

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 255 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinhead306
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-1877 (resized).jpg
8C241813-8E9B-406E-9DCC-72E5C4DE2001 (resized).jpeg
20210525_215614.jpg
C201B909-57BD-4469-836B-02093C0D2F3C (resized).jpeg
57747BCB-F695-486B-AA4C-9D9A235130DC (resized).jpeg
A1C4635A-358F-4D22-A1CF-DD18EEE7A912 (resized).jpeg
2C89E310-EE1C-437C-9EF0-9F187ABC043B (resized).jpeg
9266C7E1-762F-42CD-8CAF-91E7AE6D1846 (resized).jpeg
E57CD8C7-6ACB-461D-8B88-1BEDA09E19E9 (resized).jpeg
D157009D-6118-40BA-96DC-1FFAA58164B4 (resized).jpeg
6B77EC0F-6B87-4995-BF51-8DCA85B7EF8D (resized).jpeg
29523E6D-8F7B-40EE-B4E2-4491FE8D8025 (resized).jpeg
5ABFFF4B-972B-42E8-BD9F-40F05C334F44 (resized).jpeg
CDE53C58-E179-4CDD-A2A6-F90FE3F12BE1 (resized).jpeg
johnnie-walker-black-12 (resized).jpg
8E0EF5B1-40B3-4106-83B9-A97B6771CC65 (resized).jpeg
There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 6 years ago

Hey I've recently been enjoying drinking some decent scotch, would like too see what others enjoy and suggest to try as well. So far I would say the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is my favorite, but they are all delicious!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

When I used to drink scotch it was anything from Balvenie.
I've had a lot of them and there all great.

#3 6 years ago

Ah! Must have tasted a couple of hundred scotch whiskies over the last 15-20 years. With whisky, like with pinball games, there are so many different flavours/styles that I find it impossible to pick a single favourite. On a hot summer day I can find a floral Highland Park to be just the thing. If it's windy and cold, better go for a Laphroaig or Ardbeg. With snacks or tapas, one of the more salted Bowmores can be quite nice. Any day at all: Bring me something I've never tasted, and I'll enjoy it!

I'd say most whiskies have something_ interesting about them, if you're inclined to taste for the tasting's sake, not purely drink hedonistically. Some can be too weird, though: I once had a whisky which had been stored in an old herring barrel. Called 'fishky', it was the worst tasting whisky I've ever had, by far. To quote one review of it: "The finish is salty, greasy, and nasty with no redeeming qualities." I have to agree!

Anyway: Mmm, whisky! Just finishing a Bladnoch as I write this. Slàinte!

#4 6 years ago

I'm with oyvindmo, whiskey is like wine in there are so many varieties and I tend to enjoy most if they aren't to cheap. I prefer to buy anything that is 12 year or older, and love most of the sherry cask versions of the different scotches.

Some of my current favorites in the cupboard (Scotch and Whiskey):
Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Dalmore 15yr and 12yr
Tullamore Dew Trilogy
Tullamore Dew 12
Knob Creek Single Barrel
TX Whiskey and TX Bourbon (I'm in Texas)

I'm sure there are a couple more up there, but whiskey/scotch is kind of like my pinballs. Sometimes I can't remember exactly which ones I have

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

When I used to drink scotch it was anything from Balvenie.
I've had a lot of them and there all great.

I'm with RVH! I have about 30 different bottles in my liquor cabinet, but basically anything Balvenie (sherry cask is my favorite) is my go to.

You seem to like peaty scotch though. I'd recommend trying either Port Charlotte or Ardbeg. Both are heavily peated, and quite smooth.

#6 6 years ago

Happy to join this club. I've also got some Auchentoshan right now. Quinta Ruban is a great one, too!

Ardbeg is definitely for the peat lover.

#7 6 years ago

What are three Scotches I should try as a rookie? I'd like to get into Scotch.

#8 6 years ago

Laphroaig for me. Briny and distinctive. 15 year old is great but 10 year is just fine. I prefer the Islay style, but there's quite a few scotches out there that are pretty damn tasty.

#9 6 years ago

Scotch and Pistachio nuts......the best!
IMG_3450 (resized).JPGIMG_3450 (resized).JPG
I like Johnnie Walker,
A friend of mine gave me a gift......4 x 200ml bottles.......Yippee!
IMG_3394 (resized).JPGIMG_3394 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

Oban. So good.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Shiny_balls:

Scotch and Pistachio nuts......the best!

I like Johnnie Walker,
A friend of mine gave me a gift......4 x 200ml bottles.......Yippee!

Joe Namath once said 'I like my Johnny Walker Red, and my women blonde". Great quote, ordinary blended scotch (the Red version, I mean).

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I'm no pro, but I think it's probably a good idea to start with something on the low end like Johnny Walker Black, then work your way up to the good expensive stuff. My first single malt was Highland Park, which I think was a very good entry point.

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for all the insight I think I'm going to go with a Balvinie for my next addition to the collection! Or maybe Ardbeg! Highland Park is definately up there as well. Have to throw a shout out too fellow pinsider Shaub for letting me sample his laphroaig and turning me onto the peaty scotches. Also a huge shout out to a great friend and fellow pinsider debow for putting me onto scotch in the first place!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I am rather new as well. I would suggest glenmorangie Quinta ruban for a nice sweet smooth starter, also an auchentoshan 12 along the same lines and a laphroaig quarter cask for an introduction into smokey peaty scotches too see if you enjoy them.

#15 6 years ago

Prefer them nice and peaty, although the are some exceptions..... the Balvenie Caribbean cask is tasty.

IMG_0089 (resized).JPGIMG_0089 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

Balvenie Caribbean cask is definitely tasty!!

20170512_193955 (resized).jpg20170512_193955 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

Laphroaig for me. Oh the peat...

#18 6 years ago

Haha I spy a Traverse city whisky!!! I had some helpers on my rig from traverse city!

#19 6 years ago

Ah Scotch, love the drink, love the tape.

#20 6 years ago

I attended WhiskeyFest in New York for several years and had the chance to sample some really wonderful scotch. Standouts for me were Highland Park and Isle of Jura. It's been a while since enjoying a dram, and now having seen this thread I feel like a shopping trip is order ... so keep the recommendations flowing.

IMG_0599 (resized).JPGIMG_0599 (resized).JPG

IMG_0598 (resized).PNGIMG_0598 (resized).PNG

#21 6 years ago

WhiskeyFest sounds like a wonderful time and a great way to try tons of scotch!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Prefer them nice and peaty, although the are some exceptions..... the Balvenie Caribbean cask is tasty.

I really need a shelf like that...

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I attended WhiskeyFest in New York for several years and had the chance to sample some really wonderful scotch. Standouts for me were Highland Park and Isle of Jura. It's been a while since enjoying a dram, and now having seen this thread I feel like a shopping trip is order ... so keep the recommendations flowing.

Those are actually two of my favorites. The highland park 12 yr has been my "everyday sipper" for years now but everything I've had from both of them has been great.

My absolute favorite not-impossible-to-find "scotch" is actually the Yamazaki 18 yr though

#24 6 years ago

Any nice Single Malt Scotch should do well for most drinkers. But for me, a fine Scotch is not complete without an equal part of Drambuie. A fine liqueur by itself, paired with a fine Scotch only enhances each one's essence. I prefer drinking it neat, but on the rocks is ok as long as it doesn't get too watered down. Ask for a "Rusty Nail"

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinG:

Any nice Single Malt Scotch should do well for most drinkers. But for me, a fine Scotch is not complete without an equal part of Drambuie. A fine liqueur by itself, paired with a fine Scotch only enhances each one's essence. I prefer drinking it neat, but on the rocks is ok as long as it doesn't get too watered down. Ask for a "Rusty Nail"

The Rusty Nail was my father's drink of choice. After he passed away in 1994 my family gathered and we decided to share Rusty Nails to pay our respects to dear old Dad. The Drambuie added enough sweetness and herb flavors to make it addictive. After a second, third, and fourth Rusty Nail we were completely shit-faced. My father loved to laugh ... he would have had a good chuckle watching us. It's been a long time ... need to pick up another bottle.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

My absolute favorite not-impossible-to-find "scotch" is actually the Yamazaki 18 yr though

At 500 bucks that ought to be darn good stuff. Maybe make the stoners on the Cannabis forum jealous even.

#27 6 years ago

All good recommendations so far. I have never had a bad Balvenie The regional variations in Scotch make them tough to recommend.

My shelf is mostly Speyside region and mostly cheap stuff that is not exported. I really have to be in the mood for the smokey, peaty Scotches

Best advice given here is try a variety and see what really hits you. When you have a great Scotch you will know

#28 6 years ago

Never had a Rusty Nail but after reading that story I'm gonna try it

#29 6 years ago

So this stuff I once got in a duty free shop many moons ago and then ran across it again recently. The distillery is mostly used in blends (Johnny Walker I think?), but it's really nice and drinkable. Smooth and literally tastes like they added honey to it.... this here is a private bottling from when they were still owned by Seagrams.

IMG_0323 (resized).JPGIMG_0323 (resized).JPG

#30 6 years ago

These are also a private bottling, loved the bottler name if your familiar with the old Black Adder tv series. What's interesting is the char from the barrel in the bottles. Unfiltered, so it is still 'aging' in the bottle. Going to let this sit for a while

Also unusual because you don't see Laproaig independently bottled that often.

IMG_0324 (resized).JPGIMG_0324 (resized).JPG
IMG_0326 (resized).JPGIMG_0326 (resized).JPG
IMG_0325 (resized).JPGIMG_0325 (resized).JPG
IMG_0327 (resized).JPGIMG_0327 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

And this guy is reserved for my wedding next week, will be knocking it back with my boys and close friends. Date is obviously special for me. 71 was a good year

IMG_0329 (resized).JPGIMG_0329 (resized).JPG

#32 6 years ago

All fine manner of Scotch noted here. One I did not see mentioned (may have missed it) was a Macallan. I like the 18 and definitely like the 25. Downside is the 25 price has been getting steep over the last few years.

#33 6 years ago

I tried a Macallan Amber at fellow pinsider shaubs house recently and it was a fine scotch although I don't know the year.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

All fine manner of Scotch noted here. One I did not see mentioned (may have missed it) was a Macallan. I like the 18 and definitely like the 25

I haven't tried the 18 or 25. Though I have the 12 and 15 - and I prefer the 12. Can't go wrong with 12

Though to be honest - the bourbon on the left has 12 beat

IMG_1622 (resized).JPGIMG_1622 (resized).JPG

#35 6 years ago

Oh I'm in. Having Balvenie 14 Year Old Caribbean Cask right now.

Exactly a year ago today I was at The Jar is Troon Scotland. Been hooked ever since!
IMG_2811 (resized).JPGIMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2812 (resized).JPGIMG_2812 (resized).JPG
IMG_2813 (resized).JPGIMG_2813 (resized).JPG
IMG_2818 (resized).JPGIMG_2818 (resized).JPG
IMG_2828 (resized).JPGIMG_2828 (resized).JPG
IMG_2817 (resized).JPGIMG_2817 (resized).JPG
IMG_2821 (resized).JPGIMG_2821 (resized).JPG
IMG_2823 (resized).JPGIMG_2823 (resized).JPG
IMG_2824 (resized).JPGIMG_2824 (resized).JPG

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Oh I'm in. Having Balvenie 14 Year Old Caribbean Cask right now.
Exactly a year ago today I was at The Jar is Troon Scotland. Been hooked ever since!

Nice pics. That looks awesome.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I 2nd that!

#38 6 years ago

I wish I could afford something older than 12yrs. I drink too much to be able to buy stuff like that.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Yeah it was amazing. 7 days of 75 degrees and sun with 5 rounds of golf too!

I wasn't a Scotch fan before, but instantly became one.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Yeah it was amazing. 7 days of 75 degrees and sun with 5 rounds of golf too!
I wasn't a Scotch fan before, but instantly became one.

I would love to golf there! Must have been a great vacation.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Highland Park 18 is my FAVORITE. You see that in my pic. Like what, $120 per bottle? I bought one when I came back. Went through it too quick!

My favorite splurge is Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. It's so easy drinking but like $80. SO good.

Go to is Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 or Dalwhinnie 15. Both under $50.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

At 500 bucks that ought to be darn good stuff. Maybe make the stoners on the Cannabis forum jealous even.

Nah, place around here has (had?) it for $200. Not cheap, but doable. i had been keeping a bottle around until very recently.

#43 6 years ago

Enjoyed these with pinsider Shaub tonite while he fixed my Dracula! (Thanks mang!) Jura Elixer, and more yummy balvenie Caribbean cask! And a growler of local Rebellion beer! But that's for a different thread!

1496298292370384092659 (resized).jpg1496298292370384092659 (resized).jpg

#44 6 years ago

Nice. The Caribbean cask is tied for my favorite Balvenie right up there with the Doublewood.

#45 6 years ago

My go to scotches are below. Each takes me to a distinctive place which is what I love most about a good scotch.
Laphroaig 18 - takes me to roaring campfires outside a castle wall while clad in leather amour.
Balvenie caribbean cask - take a guess
Dalmore 12 and 15 or King Alexander III if I'm feeling rich and takes me to a dank dark castle dungeon, in a good way
Glenfiddich 18 - takes me to a cold Halloween night with caramel apples, a swirling night breeze cutting through crisp leaves, high spirits, and the wisp of a distant log fire.

#46 6 years ago

My fave as well oban 14

Delmore cigar malt is close though

1 week later
#47 6 years ago

Took some great advice here and grabbed myself a bottle of glenmorangie nectar d'or. Also grabbed a bottle of anCnoc 12. Really liking the nectar!!!

#48 6 years ago

So far I would say my top 3 that I have tried are balvinie carribean cask, glenmorangie Quinta ruban and nectar d'or. In no particular order.

#49 6 years ago

I was just debating the Quinta Ruban vs Nectar d'Or because I couldn't remember which I liked better. Should just buy both and make sure.

#50 6 years ago

I agree it's like splitting hairs! They are both great!

There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scotch-drinkers-club?hl=deadpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.