(Topic ID: 190063)

Scotch drinkers club. Let's have a dram!

By Pinhead306

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 255 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinhead306
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-1877 (resized).jpg
8C241813-8E9B-406E-9DCC-72E5C4DE2001 (resized).jpeg
20210525_215614.jpg
C201B909-57BD-4469-836B-02093C0D2F3C (resized).jpeg
57747BCB-F695-486B-AA4C-9D9A235130DC (resized).jpeg
A1C4635A-358F-4D22-A1CF-DD18EEE7A912 (resized).jpeg
2C89E310-EE1C-437C-9EF0-9F187ABC043B (resized).jpeg
9266C7E1-762F-42CD-8CAF-91E7AE6D1846 (resized).jpeg
E57CD8C7-6ACB-461D-8B88-1BEDA09E19E9 (resized).jpeg
D157009D-6118-40BA-96DC-1FFAA58164B4 (resized).jpeg
6B77EC0F-6B87-4995-BF51-8DCA85B7EF8D (resized).jpeg
29523E6D-8F7B-40EE-B4E2-4491FE8D8025 (resized).jpeg
5ABFFF4B-972B-42E8-BD9F-40F05C334F44 (resized).jpeg
CDE53C58-E179-4CDD-A2A6-F90FE3F12BE1 (resized).jpeg
johnnie-walker-black-12 (resized).jpg
8E0EF5B1-40B3-4106-83B9-A97B6771CC65 (resized).jpeg
There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

Took some great advice here and grabbed myself a bottle of glenmorangie nectar d'or. Also grabbed a bottle of anCnoc 12. Really liking the nectar!!!

Giddy up!

#52 6 years ago

In the summer I prefer lighter fruitier whiskey, Aberlour 16 is one of my favorites

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#53 6 years ago

Got a bottle of Caribbean Cask for Father's Day. The perfect gift!

#54 6 years ago

That's a very nice gift congrats!

#55 6 years ago

I got this one to try out! Haven't heard much about it but I like the Quinta ruban and nectar d'or so figured this might be nice.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

I got this one to try out! Haven't heard much about it but I like the Quinta ruban and nectar d'or so figured this might be nice.

Lasanta is good. Great every day scotch.

#57 6 years ago

I felt that one was the "worst" of the three. That said, I wouldn't turn away a bottle!

2 weeks later
#58 6 years ago

and then this happened! only one is mine..one is the OP's..third bottle is another pinsider! probably my favourite single malt I've tasted! wow, is it delicious note: gushers WEREN'T included dammit!

IMG-20170706-WA0000 (resized).jpgIMG-20170706-WA0000 (resized).jpg

#59 6 years ago

I love that nectar! So delicious!

#60 6 years ago

Nice. Will be my next bottle.

#61 6 years ago

GLENMORANGIE range was introduced to me by a Scot many years ago and if you drink neat , there is no better.....

#62 6 years ago

No mention here of Lagavulin? My absolute favorite.

#63 6 years ago

Macallan 25 year is dreamy but insanely expensive, 18 year is also good but still too speedy, so I settle for 12yr

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

and then this happened! only one is mine..one is the OP's..third bottle is another pinsider! probably my favourite single malt I've tasted! wow, is it delicious note: gushers WEREN'T included dammit!

My favorite

#65 6 years ago

I've been getting into bourbon and whiskey lately. A whisky bar just opened down the street and it looks super fancy. I'm going soon to sample lots of different goodies. Can't wait. I don't have much of a whiskey budget and have trouble with spending more than $50 on a bottle. Can I hear your favorites under $50?

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I've been getting into bourbon and whiskey lately. A whisky bar just opened down the street and it looks super fancy. I'm going soon to sample lots of different goodies. Can't wait. I don't have much of a whiskey budget and have trouble with spending more than $50 on a bottle. Can I hear your favorites under $50?

Eagle Rare 10y
W.L Weller 12 Year (good luck finding it)
Four Roses Single Barrel (if you like more Rye in your bourbon)

Really close to the 50 buck mark (and must haves) are:
Blanton's
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

If you aren't a Beam snob then you should also try:
Jim Beam Black Extra Aged (less than 30 bucks)

#67 6 years ago

By the way, I saw a Hudson Baby Bourbon today - and didn't get it. I think I made a mistake. It is 100% corn mash bill. Anyone try it that can give me an honest review?

#68 6 years ago

Jura 'Elixir' $60 Canadian dollars.. that's prob like $12 in the states! Haha.. tasty for the price!

14996200608842053668204 (resized).jpg14996200608842053668204 (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

By the way, I saw a Hudson Baby Bourbon today - and didn't get it. I think I made a mistake. It is 100% corn mash bill. Anyone try it that can give me an honest review?

I picked this up recently based on a few reviews I've read. It was okay, but I've had better in that price range. I recently picked up Belle Meade's Sour Mash, Madiera and Sherry. They were outstanding. http://www.greenbrierdistillery.com/products/

Nice to see so many people recommending the Belvenie Carribean Cask and Glenmorangie line. Well priced and easy to drink.

I am also a fan of Glendronach (comparable to Macallan, but lower price for the 18yr) and Kavalan (King Car Distillery in Taiwan).

For people that live in states that have ABC regulated liquor stores, depending on the state you live in you can order online. I order from Ace Spirits.

#70 6 years ago

I tried a friends lagavulin 16 at a fello pinsiders and it was delicious. I found it was more well balanced then the laphroaig.

#71 6 years ago

I've switched to bourbon whiskey myself, so many amazing ones on the market now and much more affordable.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

I tried a friends lagavulin 16 at a fello pinsiders and it was delicious. I found it was more well balanced then the laphroaig.

Right on - Laguvulin will at least take you to dinner first, while Laphroiag will only take you from behind.

#73 6 years ago

is the only scotch that will give me a headache - i can't get into it at all! The only reason I haven't given my bottle away is that if I have a guest that actually likes to drink this stuff!

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I've switched to bourbon whiskey myself, so many amazing ones on the market now and much more affordable.

I agree - my whiskey vault is growing faster on bourbons than scotch. (By far) - and frankly in my book a good bourbon beats a good scotch. (I am sure I will get a lot of flack for that comment)

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

and frankly in my book a good bourbon beats a good scotch. (I am sure I will get a lot of flack for that comment)

two different animals entirely.... just as long as you don't claim Beam is your favorite

I also like a good rye whiskey with some bite...

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

two different animals entirely.... just as long as you don't claim Beam is your favorite
I also like a good rye whiskey with some bite...

True... though Booker's isn't too bad

As to the Rye - my fav (for the money) is Sazerac. Buffalo Trace is my favorite distillery so they have a lot of solid whiskeys.

#77 6 years ago

Buffalo Trace! and Markers Mark 46!

#79 6 years ago

Amen. Let's not start talking about KISS code in here too.

#80 6 years ago

do you guys mix bourbon or just drink it neat?!

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Depends on what percentage of alcohol. If it's bottled below 50% I might add a drop of water or two, depending on the quality of the whiskey. Anything around 54%+ is normally cask strength and I always add water (one to a few drops). Bookers is bottled at 62ish%? I add much more water to that.

Everybody is different on how much to add. When I try something new I always taste first, then add a drop of water, wait about 8-15min, then taste again, repeat (if I still get took much bite). It's pretty cool how much a whiskey can change with just a drop of water and waiting. Some people say if you have a whiskey that has been aged, wait 1 minute for each year it's aged after adding water. However, if I get into an 15+ year aged whiskey (sometimes even a 12-15yr depending on the whiskey), I don't use water.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I usually drop in an ice cube or two

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from jsalce:

Depends on what percentage of alcohol. If it's bottled below 50% I might add a drop of water or two, depending on the quality of the whiskey. Anything around 54%+ is normally cask strength and I always add water (one to a few drops). Bookers is bottled at 62ish%? I add much more water to that.
Everybody is different on how much to add. When I try something new I always taste first, then add a drop of water, wait about 8-15min, then taste again, repeat (if I still get took much bite). It's pretty cool how much a whiskey can change with just a drop of water and waiting. Some people say if you have a whiskey that has been aged, wait 1 minute for each year it's aged after adding water. However, if I get into an 15+ year aged whiskey (sometimes even a 12-15yr depending on the whiskey), I don't use water.

I don't add ice to a good scotch or bourbon. I will sometimes add a few drops to higher proofed, but rarely. If I am making cocktails (like old fashioned, Manhattans, Sours, etc) I will use the lower priced bourbons - like Makers Mark or Evan Williams.

#84 6 years ago

Chivas, rocks. And I don't wait no 12 minutes!

#85 6 years ago

If I'm whipping up an old fashioned, then it's straight ol' Crown for me.. anything else gets lost in the bitters or stands on it's own without anything at all...

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

If I'm whipping up an old fashioned, then it's straight ol' Crown for me.. anything else gets lost in the bitters or stands on it's own without anything at all...

I agree - for cocktails CCC

Crappy Crown is for Cocktails only

EDIT: Opps I think you are a Crown fan. Sorry about that...I get Crown for the bag it is in, and give the bottle away (or use in cocktails)

#87 6 years ago

It's a mixer that offends no one. I don't drink it straight for sure... lol

#88 6 years ago

And if you're making an old fashioned or anything else with whiskey, these sure do liven up the glass!

IMG_0830 (resized).JPGIMG_0830 (resized).JPG

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I only use ice, preferably 1 large cube. You can get the molds on Amazon.

Have a brother in law that mixes with ginger ale and I won't let him touch anything on the top shelf

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

If I'm whipping up an old fashioned, then it's straight ol' Crown for me

Powers gold label for my old fashions. Also, Powers GL on the rocks is mighty fine way to take the edge off a stressful day.

#91 6 years ago

Couple of new bottles have joined the club at my bar....

IMG_0866 (resized).JPGIMG_0866 (resized).JPG

#92 6 years ago

I bet that ardbeg is delicious! Nice pick ups! I have yet to try any of the talisker line.

#93 6 years ago

The Ardbeg "Corryvreckan" is my first foray with this distillery. An Islay at 57.1% is like drinking heavily peated hellfire. Couple drops open it up, but man, it gives the others a run for their money. Could probably use a few more years in the cask to mellow.....

#94 6 years ago

Loving all the bottle pics but I'm begging one of you to get one of those cool decanters like fancy pants businessmen used to have in their offices in the olden times!

IMG_0498 (resized).JPGIMG_0498 (resized).JPG

#95 6 years ago

MacAllen for me, 100%. For small batch we have the Joseph A. Magnus

Also For decanting we have one of these (not my pic)

IMG_1953 (resized).PNGIMG_1953 (resized).PNG

#96 6 years ago

Two drams while tearing down Dracula tonight

IMG_2090 (resized).JPGIMG_2090 (resized).JPG

#97 6 years ago

I also enjoy all the pictures. Some great recommendations in here. I like that airplane in the decanter also.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Laphroaig for me. Briny and distinctive. 15 year old is great but 10 year is just fine. I prefer the Islay style, but there's quite a few scotches out there that are pretty damn tasty.

I like the peaty Islay style too! Lagavulin 16 is my fave if I have the cash. Its Laphroaig's smoother cousin.

20160528_091050 (resized).jpg20160528_091050 (resized).jpg

#99 6 years ago

Glengoyne 10 is also a solidly smooth budget buy. It took over as my "go to" once Kirkland's 12 year blended (yes, Costco!) was dicontinued.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I attended WhiskeyFest in New York for several years and had the chance to sample some really wonderful scotch. Standouts for me were Highland Park and Isle of Jura. It's been a while since enjoying a dram, and now having seen this thread I feel like a shopping trip is order ... so keep the recommendations flowing.

I have a bottle of Highland Park 15 I got as a bday present that is super tastey!

There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scotch-drinkers-club/page/2?hl=deadpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.