(Topic ID: 150446)

Scorpion (system 6) upper flipper wiring issue - pics or advice helpful thanks!

By MalikyeMoon

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sys6_flipper_diagram_4_flipper_(resized).jpg
Sys6_flipper_diagram_4_flipper_(resized).jpg
IMG_7616_(resized).JPG
IMG_7581_(resized).JPG
IMG_7576_(resized).JPG
IMG_7579_(resized).JPG
IMG_7616_(resized).JPG
IMG_7621_(resized).JPG
IMG_7610_(resized).JPG
IMG_7609_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MalikyeMoon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello Friends,

So I spent tons of time restoring a nice Scorpion (1980 Williams system 6, only 1500 made). Colored LEDs in the BG, on top, and underneath, all custom to the original colors (looks like a rainbow skittles explosion now).

Among other things, I purchased 4 complete Flipper replacements from Pinball Life. These are the ones that come complete with the baseplate, and all parts. The issue is, they only come with a single set of EOS/leaf switches, and 3/4 of them need a double stack due to the upper flippers.

So I rebuilt all 4 custom. I resoldered each and every wire one at a time to avoid a mistake. They were all working when I started (and as an FYI - This now has a new Rottendog MPU/controller board in it, and PSU).

After I completed my work, the upper right flipper is unresponsive. The upper right has one layer in the EOS stack with a side "tab". I built it with new parts matching exactly. After failing, I tried rebuilding the EOS stack again using the original parts just for that flipper, thinking I maybe used something a little different. Still didn't work. That side "tab" allows power to touch that flipper, and continue on to the rest of the row to the right of it from what I can tell.

First I looked at the other 3, and saw a reversal in the way the EOS switches were wired to the coil on the other two, so I tried soldering that one wire the same way. Still no workie.

If, in the Diagnostics mode, I manually move that flipper, the screen shows in succession, every switch on that row. An image of the manual with that first row, and the current pics of the upper right wiring job are attached (NM the soldering, I have done it 3x now and it isnt as pretty since it was temp, and will be cleanly redone once resolved).

At this point, I am fairly certain I wired something incorrectly. The upper left is basically a termination point for that line, and a single stack, and works fine. The lower two work fine. The upper right is unique due to that side tab, and basically passing power thru and beyond to the rest of the row.

Please note: I did solder in a new diode that bridges the leafs as you can see in the pic (and it is facing the same way as the orig).

I am hoping that one of two things can happen here:

1) One of you owns a Scorpion, and can take a closeup pic of the upper right flipper from underneath (particularly the white/org wires, and green/org wires, and how they connect to the EOS, etc.) so I can visually try to see what I did wrong.

2) One of you knows System 6 pins with 4 flippers well enough, and can see the schematic and tell me I'm a noob and screwed up x.

Other than that I have done a ton of work on this pin, and it is cool and I want to play it. Two ball lock turns off the lights, starts a siren, and then flashes repeatedly during the MB while a timer builds to reach the jackpot threshold. Same 80s Williams sounds as Stellar Wars, etc. but I enjoy having one in the collection that makes those sounds. Very colorful game now with the LEDs for the kids too.

Pics: Its the very top row in the manual on the attached page. Every switch shows in the diagnostics when I move the flipper, meaning the whole row is affected I assume.

Can anyone lend a hand please?

Thank you!

IMG_7609_(resized).JPGIMG_7609_(resized).JPG
IMG_7610_(resized).JPGIMG_7610_(resized).JPG
IMG_7621_(resized).JPGIMG_7621_(resized).JPG
IMG_7616_(resized).JPGIMG_7616_(resized).JPG
IMG_7579_(resized).JPGIMG_7579_(resized).JPG
IMG_7576_(resized).JPGIMG_7576_(resized).JPG
IMG_7581_(resized).JPGIMG_7581_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Bump

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for trying friend. I cannot see the right hand side of the upper right flipper wiring or the diode even zooming in on that pic unfortunately.

Not sure what "on the right" means for the diode?

#6 8 years ago

I thought I installed it in the right direction when I did it yes. However the others don't have one to compare it to, and unfortunately the manual does not provide any schematics that go into that level of detail for the flipper wiring and diode.

I could trial-and-error it I suppose if I have no troubleshooting alternative, I was just hoping someone had a pic first.

#7 8 years ago

Attaching pic IMG_7616 with a closeup of the diode (shows the band side of the diode down towards the solder points of the EOS).

IMG_7616_(resized).JPGIMG_7616_(resized).JPG

#8 8 years ago

Anyone else have any suggestions? I am stuck and this takes out the whole row so the game is fairly unplayable

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

Bump - can anyone else offer a pic, or help please?

#10 8 years ago

Found some arcade forums post from a guy who picked up a butchered Scorpion for some work and had to rewire the flippers. Going to review this over the weekend, but for archival purposes here is the diagram provided and explanation (could be helpful for other Pinsiders some day):

Sys6_flipper_diagram_4_flipper_(resized).jpgSys6_flipper_diagram_4_flipper_(resized).jpg

Sys6_flipper_diagram_4_flipper_(resized).jpgSys6_flipper_diagram_4_flipper_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#11 8 years ago

Bump - still looking for a pic of the Upper right flipper double stack EOS wiring closeup. I am not getting power to that flipper and passing it thru to the row. It is the only thing keeping us from playing this one, and I would really appreciate any help!

Thank you,

1 week later
#14 8 years ago

Wow.. all this time on the upper and I finally verified my wiring is 100% correct. I found the issue today (finally made time). I had a jumper wire on the lower right flipper EOS stack bust loose and couldnt see it easily. Quick resolder and the pin is 100% perfect now. /kick self!

Thanks for your input everyone. I am going to snap some closeups of all the wiring for archival purposes and post them here later.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks Dan!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MalikyeMoon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scorpion-system-6-help-need-a-pic-of-upper-rt-flipper-wiring?tu=MalikyeMoon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.