20201101_173816 (resized).jpg
20201101_172553 (resized).jpg
20201101_172534 (resized).jpg
20201029_075736 (resized).jpg
20201029_075751 (resized).jpg
20201028_172337 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201022_092416_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Greetings all. I've got a scorpion I've been trying to figure out. It's mostly working now but....none of the drop targets score. Additionally sometimes I beep sounds during play sometimes nothing and no arcade types sounds I've seen on videos. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Anyone?

#3 3 years ago

Sounds like you may have a broken wire or diode at one of the 8 switches on column 4. Does the spinner score? Screenshot_20201022_092416_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpgScreenshot_20201022_092416_com.google.android.apps.docs(1).jpg

Check each of these switches and give each wire and diode leg a light tug to make sure they're connected firmly. Also make sure the solder lugs on the switches aren't mashed together or touching anything adjacent. Check the switch gaps, make sure none are stuck closed. You should get continuity from the solder lug with the green-yellow wire on any of those 8 switches up to 2J2 pin 6. The green-yellow wire "Daisy-chains" from one switch to the next, and if a wire or diode breaks off, it can stop the whole column from working.

It could also be a bad connection at 2J2 pin 6 on the driver board...may need to reflow the header pins there.

Not sure what to recommend about the sounds outside of reflowing the solder on the male headers and repin female connectors at the sound board.

#4 3 years ago

Spinner does score.

#5 3 years ago

Might be a broken wire or diode at one of those switches then. The fact the spinner scores means the mpu/driver should be ok.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks. I'll see what I can figure out. I'm new to this though.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

#7 3 years ago

No prob! We all gotta start somewhere.

Since you're new to this, I'll try to explain this a bit further. I'll just keep the focus on the column we're having trouble with.

At the top of the chart you can see which connector that column is on, and specifically which pin it's located at. In this case, it's connector 2J2 pin 6. So if you look at the driver board (lower left board in backbox) and find connector 2J2 (right side of driver board, top connector), you'll see that connector has a bunch of green wires with different color stripes. On that connector at pin 6 is the green wire w/yellow stripe. That wire runs from that connector at 2J2 at the backbox down to the playfield where it connects to one of those 8 switches. Then *another* green-yellow wire runs from that same switch to another of the 8 switches on the same column... And again and again until the last switch in the column is reached (which will only have *one* green-yellow wire). Note that means you'll have 2 green-yellow wires soldered together at most of the switches. One green-yellow wire coming from a switch on the same column, and another green-yellow wire going to the next switch in the column. That's what's called a daisy chain. Basically if *any* of those green-yellow wires break off any of the switches in that column, some switches (or sometimes *all* switches) will stop working in that column. It's important to note if the diode on any of those switches is broken off at either end or touching anything adjacent (nearby switch/lamp/metal brackets), it may cause the same type of problem.

Do you have a multimeter? It can make testing this stuff easier.

Another thought--you may not see a green-yellow wire at each switch in this case because of the way the drop targets are wired. I'll have to see pics of the switches on your drop target banks... on my Black Knight (same era) there were yellow wires connecting the drop target column switches together, which confused me because i was expecting to see a green wire with a black stripe at each one (different column in my case, but same deal). In my case, the green-black wire went to one of the drop target switches, then a *yellow* wire was run from the same lug the green-black wire was on, over to the drop target switch next to it (which was on the same column), then another yellow wire from that one to the 3rd and final target of the bank (also on the same column). Those yellow wires they used on my game were particularly thin and prone to breaking...so be sure to look out for that too. If you find one broken off, you found your culprit.

Sorry if this is too much information or if there's too much redundancy. I'll be happy to clarify anything you need help with!

Good luck!

#8 3 years ago

No it's not to much. All help is needed. I just replaced the rubbers on this and some lamps. Had to take spinner off to do it. Spinner doesn't touch leaf switch. Does the hook go under the switch and pull up or us it a push down thing? Tried looking for pics on net. Nothing.

#9 3 years ago

The spinner arm usually goes through a small hole in the switch leaf it attaches to (the longer one). It will pull the leaf up and down as the spinner spins. Usually the bottom of the spinner arm will have a short end bent 90 degrees from the long straight part. You have to insert that part through the small hole, then point that short end of the arm toward the *end* of the switch leaf. There's usually a little sort of ridge at the end of that switch leaf where that short part of the arm will rest. Also, you may have to adjust the switch leaf a bit to get the spinner spinning just right once it's all back together. Too close or far of a gap on the switch can sometimes interfere with the spinners movement and/or cause it not to score correctly (too much or too little). Another thing to keep in mind with the spinner switch, be sure the longer leaf that the arm attaches to is pretty straight, and only adjust the shorter leaf to set the switch gap where you want it. You can also clean the contacts of the switch with a crisp dollar bill or clean piece of paper. Pinch it between the contacts and pull the paper through a couple times to get the crud off the contacts. Isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip is also safe for cleaning the contacts.

Any luck tracking down the switch issue?

#10 3 years ago

Could this one disconnected wire keep all drop targets from scoring on both banks?

20201028_172337 (resized).jpg20201028_172337 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

Yep, that could be it! You want to wire it up to the switch the same way the other ones next to it are wired.

#12 3 years ago

What should I use to clean play field? A friend gave me something that helped..but there are still marks. Or is that grime permanent?

20201029_075736 (resized).jpg20201029_075736 (resized).jpg20201029_075751 (resized).jpg20201029_075751 (resized).jpg
#13 3 years ago

I personally wouldn't use anything stronger than novus 2 (or novus 1, which is less strength). Some people have had luck removing swirl marks like that using a magic eraser but be warned--you're likely sanding off a very thin layer of the clearcoat on the playfield when you use something like that. I personally would just clean it up and play it, but I'm sure others here could give further guidance if you want to try to remove the marks.

#14 3 years ago

Ok thx.

#15 3 years ago

Soldering that one lose wire didn't fix my issue. To bad

Additionally I had an upper left flipper that was very weak. Now it's not working. If I mess with it by hand I notice it doesn't have the push back the others have? Bad solenoid?

#16 3 years ago

Where did you attach the wire, could you post a pic?

As far as the flipper, have you tried taking the flipper mech apart and cleaning it? Could be a bad coil sleeve or gummed up linkage or something. Could also be a problem with the end of stroke switch on the flipper. Could you post a pic of the flipper you're having trouble with?

#17 3 years ago

I'll try. On another note...I found two loose wires but they were not touching or shorting to anything. Should these wires be here? If do attached to what? A loose blue. And a loose white

20201101_172534 (resized).jpg20201101_172534 (resized).jpg20201101_172553 (resized).jpg20201101_172553 (resized).jpg20201101_173816 (resized).jpg20201101_173816 (resized).jpg
#18 3 years ago

Looks like some wiring 'hacks', not really sure what they're doing there. You'll have to follow each of the wires and figure out where they go to. In addition to that, the wire soldered to the left side of the capacitor on one of those pics definitely doesn't belong there either. You can leave that one for now but you'll eventually want to figure out where it's supposed to go.

#19 3 years ago

That's just it..they go nowhere. Just two random loose wires

#20 3 years ago

No idea in that case

2 months later
#21 3 years ago

Ok so...got drop targets scoring and moved batteries off the board. Hurray!

Now I need sound. It's been suggested that the sound board mpu is out. So question....is that a 6808 chip? And it goes into the right most 40 pin socket not the left one with the red dot?

Secondly the volume/pot in the cabinet under the playfield is broke. Where do I find a replacement?

received_2694871980842362 (resized).jpegreceived_2694871980842362 (resized).jpegreceived_440590167097724 (resized).jpegreceived_440590167097724 (resized).jpeg
#22 3 years ago

Williams part numbers for Motorola ICs:
5A-8987 : 6800 CPU
5A-8972 : 6821 PIA
5A-9003 : 6810 RAM
5A-9150 : 6808 CPU

#23 3 years ago

whats bottom of cabinet look like. i forget. seems like i reflowed some connections in the bottom and wha la, sound.

1 month later
#24 3 years ago

So I got sound but the volume control/potentiometer in the man cabinet case is broke and there's a very loud horrible buzz over the sound. What size pot does it use? 10k? I need to replace it

#26 3 years ago

Great. Many thanks!

#27 3 years ago

No prob! Just curious: what was the solution to the issue you were having?

#28 3 years ago

The sound? The socketed chip 6802 was dead

2 weeks later
#29 3 years ago

Quick question. I got an insert that's trying to push down/out in which the ball gets hung. I've pushed back up but it slips again. Is there a glue or something used to keep them in place?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from remyjd:

Quick question. I got an insert that's trying to push down/out in which the ball gets hung. I've pushed back up but it slips again. Is there a glue or something used to keep them in place?

As long as it's just loose and you're not doing a whole pf clearcoat job or something like that, I've used Gorilla glue to reseat them. I pushed the insert out, smeared the glue all around the upper inside edge of the hole and put the insert back in making sure it is flush with the pf all around before letting it dry. If insert doesn't want to just push out you can heat it with a hair dryer for 20 seconds or so from underneath to soften the old glue.

#31 3 years ago

Thx

7 months later
#32 2 years ago

So had drop targets working..replaced volume pot in cab and replaced switch o. Upper left flipper...

But flipper would not work. After manually movie flipper it weakly tries now..need solenoid rebuild?

Sound in arcade mode is loud and buzzy..lots of noise. Wrong pot or sound board issue? The dinging beeping sound side works fine.

And finally I got a new issue. One of the drop targets suddenly wont load in front. The one that does is loose and I can move plate up and down. The one that doesn't has the piston stuck hard so that u cant manually move the plate to load drop targets. Any ideas?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scorpion-sound-drop-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.