Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 days ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

B3E4EC06-2595-43F6-A7A0-7513AB9A5913 (resized).jpeg
FFCD88C5-BDBB-43F5-BCDC-4B92B7330AA5 (resized).jpeg
D2C89423-391A-44B0-82BF-A64FD2CBD353 (resized).jpeg
D4CC28A7-52FE-4E19-B031-3AD01175C3F4 (resized).jpeg
29AE8604-6946-464A-84CF-A5AB216ECBCA (resized).jpeg
5E215655-6CC8-423E-828F-90C24BCCED50 (resized).jpeg
5D0341D7-8034-45C7-AF16-252592A1E1BA (resized).jpeg
IMG_0535 (resized).jpg
IMG_0506 (resized).jpg
IMG_0540 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've decided to add some ammo to the growing pinball fever and install a 1980 Williams Scorpion into a friends new bar in Chandler, Arizona. The bar is called HOP Central Brewery and Taproom (5055 W Ray Rd #2, Chandler, AZ 85226). They have an amazing beer selection, and are surrounded by food options which can deliver to inside the bar.

If you're not familiar, Scorpion is based on the age old tale of a laser shooting boat fighting a hydra. That is made super clear by the name of the game...Scorpion! I think the game is fantastic! I don't know why this one flew under the radar, other than it is a widebody and a bit of a pain in the ass to move around. The game plays at a really nice pace, and doesn't feel like any classic widebody I've ever played.

I tore down the machine and did heavy cleaning. It has brand new rubber, and fresh wax. I put in some LEDs, but mixed them with the incandescent so that I could persist that classic feel. I'll work really hard to keep on top of this game and make sure it is as perfect as possible. If any pinsiders in town see issues, feel free to hit me up on this forum.

Hopefully people are excited to have yet another game out there. I know I am .

IMG_0540 (resized).jpg
IMG_0506 (resized).jpg
IMG_0535 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

You did a nice job, I'd play that!

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I think the game is fantastic! I don't know why this one flew under the radar, other than it is a widebody and a bit of a pain in the ass to move around. The game plays at a really nice pace, and doesn't feel like any classic widebody I've ever played.

I agree, really fun game that's pretty slept on. Definitely worth dropping quarters in.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You did a nice job, I'd play that!

Thank you! I'm so happy I found it. I think it is so much fun. I got a 790k game, but then unintentionally wiped the score when trying to reset the audit totals. Long story short...I didn't get the audit totals reset . I feel like the game is just the perfect amount of challenge. I'd love to know the history on this one and why it never hit the big time like Firepower or Gorgar from the same generation.

#5 1 year ago

I've got one (for sale actually). First played it at PAPA and was like wow, this game is loaded and a blast to play for its era.

#6 1 year ago

I've found that wide pins can play fast and good when setup right. Faster angle on the levelers, cleaned and waxed, and good strong flippers helps. Weak flippers on a dirty tired game that is set at too shallow of an angle turns widebody games into a dog. My Space Invaders was fast and much more fun than I expected.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

I've got one (for sale actually). First played it at PAPA and was like wow, this game is loaded and a blast to play for its era.

How much?

Fun game, like most of the Williams widebodies. "overlooked" probably due to relative rarity (2,000 made, how many are left?) and it's also not the prettiest thing to look at. I'm sure tons play poorly too with all those terrible Williams drop targets not working correctly. I'd like to pick one of these up now that I've sold Stellar Wars.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

How does yours look? I wish mine had a perfect backglass. I'd almost consider paying for someone's backglass if they wanted a swap.

2 weeks later
#9 1 year ago

Went there tonight! Very chill place with a lot of beer options. I played 3 games with a high score of 335k. Gives me a reason to go back to try and top your 790k!!! Love that I had no idea there would be a pin there and just stumbled upon it, came to pinside to research Scorpion and found this thread. My wife was like ‘nerd alert!’

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

Went there tonight! Very chill place with a lot of beer options. I played 3 games with a high score of 335k. Gives me a reason to go back to try and top your 790k!!! Love that I had no idea there would be a pin there and just stumbled upon it, came to pinside to research Scorpion and found this thread. My wife was like ‘nerd alert!’

Hahaha! Awesome!

How was it playing for you? I noticed the top right segment is failing on the player 3&4 scores. I metered it yesterday morning and cannot find the issue :/. I need to keep researching that.

From what I can tell, the trick to big scrores is to get the multiball, then shoot them both into the upper playfield. If you can just keep them up there for a while, you can crush the high score.

I keep heading over to play it myself, so maybe I’ll run into you. If you see a big white dude with some kind of gaming related t-shirt on playing it, hit me up and I can give you some free credits.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Hahaha! Awesome!
How was it playing for you? I noticed the top right segment is failing on the player 3&4 scores. I metered it yesterday morning and cannot find the issue :/. I need to keep researching that.
From what I can tell, the trick to big scrores is to get the multiball, then shoot them both into the upper playfield. If you can just keep them up there for a while, you can crush the high score.
I keep heading over to play it myself, so maybe I’ll run into you. If you see a big white dude with some kind of gaming related t-shirt on playing it, hit me up and I can give you some free credits.

It played great, everything was working as it should as far as I could tell. I got multiball going 4-5 times. I would have put more games on it but it was date night with the wife and we were in bar hop mode. Will be back and bring friends next time with a roll of quarters for sure.

If I was going to be super picky I would say the bottom right flipper was a touch weak and the tilt was too sensitive for my taste .

I salute you kind sir for operating that pin and allowing others to experience it!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

It played great, everything was working as it should as far as I could tell. I got multiball going 4-5 times. I would have put more games on it but it was date night with the wife and we were in bar hop mode. Will be back and bring friends next time with a roll of quarters for sure.
If I was going to be super picky I would say the bottom right flipper was a touch weak and the tilt was too sensitive for my taste .
I salute you kind sir for operating that pin and allowing others to experience it!

I’ll check that bottom right flipper. I thought it felt good, but is is so hard to tell! I will tell you that I think the right side button needs a bit more plastic shaved off because it kind of clicks against the cabinet and annoys me. I’ll fix that.

As for the tilt, you stop man handling my machine you monster! I didn’t adjust the tilt at all after cleaning it, I thought it felt good, but I’m not a big tilt player. I need to learn how to be more effective with tilts.

I’ll PM you a code for some free games if you have a modern phone which can use the PayRange app. Hit me up on PM and tell me what device you have. I know I’m not a good coin operator in terms of making money, but I love people playing the games.

#13 1 year ago

Also Classic scene from a 1980ish Space 1999 comic book (Hanna babarbra) where Commander Koeing and crew fight a hydra on a planet with lasers mounted in their cigar boats... far from the safety of moonbAse alpha.

I loved this game at the local arcade in the day.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from SeaOttre:

Also Classic scene from a 1980ish Space 1999 comic book (Hanna babarbra) where Commander Koeing and crew fight a hydra on a planet with lasers mounted in their cigar boats... far from the safety of moonbAse alpha.

Ha! I didn’t know about that Commander Koeing reference. I’ll have to look that up.

As for the game, I love it! I can’t believe I had never seen it before.

3 weeks later
#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I’ll check that bottom right flipper. I thought it felt good, but is is so hard to tell! I will tell you that I think the right side button needs a bit more plastic shaved off because it kind of clicks against the cabinet and annoys me. I’ll fix that.
As for the tilt, you stop man handling my machine you monster! I didn’t adjust the tilt at all after cleaning it, I thought it felt good, but I’m not a big tilt player. I need to learn how to be more effective with tilts.
I’ll PM you a code for some free games if you have a modern phone which can use the PayRange app. Hit me up on PM and tell me what device you have. I know I’m not a good coin operator in terms of making money, but I love people playing the games.

Thanks for the offer but no way am I gonna play for free, I gotta support location Pinball. Dropped by today with my son, start em early.

5D0341D7-8034-45C7-AF16-252592A1E1BA (resized).jpeg

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from SeaOttre:

I always wondered why the name didn't match the backglass art. Now it makes sense.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

Thanks for the offer but no way am I gonna play for free, I gotta support location Pinball. Dropped by today with my son, start em early.

This is awesome! I have a little monster like that too! He loves pinball, just walks around the house pointing to my other machines yelling “ball” until I let him play .

I hope it played well for you! I had to go to work, but am hoping to get over there and do some cleaning and service this weekend. I noticed from your picture that they taped one of the coin slots, it must have been acting up or something. Also I got a damn segment fault on the player 3 and 4 scores. None of the resistors are showing issues, so I haven’t been able to narrow that down. I might just have to replace it with a pinscore board.

Thank you for sharing, and paying! I am learning how to do this so that I can eventually bring good pinball to everybody .

#18 1 year ago

I just went over and did a full cleaning, and waxing. The game is playing fast as hell right now! I almost hit that high score that one of the bar owners got, but not quite :/.

I really do love this game!

2 months later
#19 1 year ago

Freshly cleaned and waxed! The Scorpion is ready for battle! Come over to Hop Central in Chandler AZ and play this 1980s classic .

Current high score on 5 balls is 1,278,670 (rolled it). I’m going to install a high score board next to the games soon.

5E215655-6CC8-423E-828F-90C24BCCED50 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#20 10 months ago

Cleaned waxed and fixed! Thanks to jalkelly I discovered some odd issues with my good friends the leaf switches. I think they are all working perfectly now.

Tell Hop Central I sent you and demand a discount, I’ll cover it .

5 months later
#21 4 months ago

Scorpion’s thinner and considerably more popular brother Firepower has just been dropped over to my favorite neighborhood bar Hop Central!

It has been deep cleaned, and tuned up. All of the pop bumpers have been rebuilt, and all of the leaf switches have been tuned to perfection.

Although I’m no professional coin-op, I really enjoy that I am able to help people discover these awesome classic pins. I hope people enjoy my shameless plugs .

29AE8604-6946-464A-84CF-A5AB216ECBCA (resized).jpegD2C89423-391A-44B0-82BF-A64FD2CBD353 (resized).jpegD4CC28A7-52FE-4E19-B031-3AD01175C3F4 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#22 43 days ago

The time has come for #scorpion to return to the shop (my house) and get freshened up. It has done an excellent job of kicking of my future of losing money while operating coin-op machines. That said, it absolutely won some big fans and converted some non-players in the year it spent at Hop Central. In fact, two known players (yes one was me) we able to roll the scoreboard earning a tasty glass of that Hop Central house IPA .

Next up, the immortal #pinbot! Completely redone and ready for action.

This machine was mostly working when I bought it, but on further inspection it needed a lot of TLC. I replaced and calibrated a lot of the switches. Replaced a bad flipper coil. Installed color matched LEDs for all lights except for the topper (because I like the old style). Installed all new titan rubbers. It has brand new flippers, buttons, shooter, coin door, plastics and the pop up ramp. I flattened some pesky popped inserts, and used the laser cut play field protector to get a fairly uniform play field surface (it has some groves). The most difficult part by far was getting the vortex ramp to work “almost” correctly. I assure you that you cannot find another one of these on location in AZ where you can actually hit all three spots on the vortex!

Anyway, I hope some people enjoy it! As always, hit me up if you find issues. For now I’ll leave you with two exciting announcements…first, I have American Pinball’s #oktoberfest in manufacturing right now. That will head to HopC shortly after I get it. Second, I ordered another new pin that should excite some people . I’ll save that for later.

B3E4EC06-2595-43F6-A7A0-7513AB9A5913 (resized).jpegFFCD88C5-BDBB-43F5-BCDC-4B92B7330AA5 (resized).jpeg
#23 42 days ago

Very cool.
I really need to stop by here next time I'm and this part of town.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 399.95
1,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stillwater, OK
$ 22.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside