(Topic ID: 198748)

(FIXED:) Scorpion: Loud Hum (No Other Audio)

By wxforecaster

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I picked up a Williams Scorpion (no details on its history) and got it set up this morning. All I get from the speakers is a loud hum (no game sound). All other game play appears to function normally. It's a System 6 with a Type 1 sound board that has a diagnostic momentary switch, and a red left/right toggle switch.

Any idea on where to begin? I don't see anything obvious or any connectors that are missing/improperly connected.

#2 6 years ago

does the hum change when you adjust the volume? If so most likely it's just not booting, best to resocket and test the PIA, CPU, rom before going any further

2 weeks later
#3 6 years ago

So I had to do some research to find a match for my audio board. It's a Type 1 board, but instead of having the volume pot on the board itself, there's a 4 pin connector that runs through the cabinet to a volume pot on the side of the cabinet. Time Warp's manual had what I needed. Nothing jumped out at me as bad -- good voltages, clean board, etc. So I removed it, checked it over, reseated the two socketed chips and put it back in.

Now the hum is gone, and I have all of the game sounds *EXCEPT* the background sound of that era which starts at a set frequency and gets higher and higher as you progress through the ball (high bonus?). In otherwords, the game is silent until I hit something to get a switch activated sound. Multiball sound also works.

Any ideas?

#4 6 years ago

You sure scorpion is supposed to have background sound? Many from this era don't...

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You sure scorpion is supposed to have background sound? Many from this era don't...

Positive. Listen to the game play demo on papa.org 's video section

#6 6 years ago

Do 9-13 in coil test all make sounds?

#7 6 years ago

Zacaj,

Well that's interesting! So I grounded the 5 pins on the sound board and got 5 sounds (GOOD!). I went into the solenoid test and Solenoid 9 does nothing. I grounded its TIP metal tab and nothing. So there's definitely a problem on the driver board. (The other 4 sound solenoids work just fine). So, next step will be the replace the transistor and pre-driver and see if we're good!

#8 6 years ago

Replacing the TIP 102/2N4401 at Q30/31 for Sound Select #9 fixed it. All sounds are fully functional. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scorpion-loud-hum-no-other-audio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.