• Latest reply 6 years ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3D841782-0CD9-4D97-B1B7-92A126CB48BC (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. Have a Chicago Coin Hee Haw that is stuck on reset when it powers on. Was working great for a few years, then this issue developed. The player 1-3 reset keeps going. When I pulled one of the player 1 scoring reels I saw a burned spot on the reel pcb. When I power it on the burned spot puts off smoke (looks cool but seems like a bad development).

Is there a thread somewhere about how to repair that or do I need to find a replacement reel? Searched a lot but couldn't find anything about how to fix when the scoring board contacts are that messed up. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldfrothingslosh:

The player 1-3 reset keeps going.

What do you mean by this? The score motor keeps running? Do the reels reset to '0'?

You'll need to replace that smoking coil, for certain. Disconnect it before you do any other tests.

Here is a link to the schematic, if you don't have one: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1152/Chicago_Coin_1973_Hee_Haw_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the response. The reels reset but the player 1-3 reset keeps going so it never recognizes that the reels are at zero. I believe the reason is the burnt spot on the board on one of the reels, which smokes when the game is on and trying to reset.

So 2 questions:
Is the burnt board spot caused by just being worn out or is it likely that something else is going on?
Is there some way to fix the burnt spot or is the only solution finding a replacement board or reel somewhere?

3D841782-0CD9-4D97-B1B7-92A126CB48BC (resized).jpeg3D841782-0CD9-4D97-B1B7-92A126CB48BC (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago

Not sure what might have caused that, but it looks too burnt to sand. You can put up a wanted in classifieds here.

#5 6 years ago

That scorched spot looks ugly, but yet it seems like nothing has burned through... so the copper should still connect A to B and so on, you might be able to salvage it yet...

But you need to clean it first. Carbon is conductive. So sand the scorching out of the gap between the traces and test with a meter to make sure there is nothing shorting them together. Clean the traces likewise. If you can get this done, then inspect the switches in the schematic to see what might be stuck open or closed, or just dirty, which could have been the original problem in the first place.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

That scorched spot looks ugly, but yet it seems like nothing has burned through...

Looking at it again I believe you're right.

#7 6 years ago

Hey guys thanks so much for the responses. It was shorting, and cleaning it out did at least fix that issue. Still stuck on reset so I have more exploration to do, but at least it is not continuing to burn the board. I appreciate the help.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldfrothingslosh:

Still stuck on reset so I have more exploration to do

Quoted from currieddog:

What do you mean by this? The score motor keeps running? Do the reels reset to '0'?
You'll need to replace that smoking coil, for certain. Disconnect it before you do any other tests.
Here is a link to the schematic, if you don't have one: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1152/Chicago_Coin_1973_Hee_Haw_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scoring-reel-is-smoking?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.