Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by AlexRogan84
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 days ago

I have a new to me 1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot . It's in mostly good shape, but it's got this glitch with the scoring reels that I need help with.

Here's what it does (and it's repeatable every time you play a game):

Start a new game and the reels go back to all zeroes and the lights on the playfield come on that should come on (game is billiard ball based, so all the rollovers or stand-up targets are the 15 numbered balls and then once you get one, that light goes out and the corresponding light in the rack in the middle comes on).

You can plunge the ball and start scoring and pretty much every time it gets to 9,900 it won't rotate any further.

Until... you rollover the #5. And then it frees it up. Every time. And it stays fine for the rest of the entire game.

If you don't go over that #5 target (and there are two of them that both act the same way with this glitch... one is up top and the other is on the right outlane), it won't count any higher. It still seems to count 10's, which I think is only the slingshots that award just 10 points. That seems to count up 9,910... 9,920... 9,930 and there are times it will start humming or buzzing from behind the reels like a coil is trying to go but isn't doing anything.

I'm new to EM's and so I was looking underneath and have found the "bar" of switches or relays or whatever they are and it looks like this is how that rollover target and keeping track of which ones are done is accomplished. I just don't know what to be looking for on my #5 rollover in particular.

Dirty contacts on one of the leaf switches? Something else you can think of?

Any help is much appreciated!

#2 10 days ago

There are 2 Make/Break switches on the #5 Rollover relay on the Sequence Bank you found. Check the Make/Break switch that has a Blue-White wire on its middle terminal for proper operation.

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#3 10 days ago
Quoted from HowardR:

There are 2 Make/Break switches on the #5 Rollover relay on the Sequence Bank you found. Check the Make/Break switch that has a Blue-White wire on its middle terminal for proper operation.
For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

Nice call! You were exactly right. The switch for #5 with the Blue-White wire wasn't pushing down quite right and the smaller leaf underneath wasn't getting good contact. I realigned things, cleaned the contacts and reassembled and good to go. Played about five games and it's doing what it is supposed to.

Thanks a lot for chiming in!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside