• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PDF-C-K.pdf (PDF preview)
PDF-A-B.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 8 years ago

I've got a Bally Sea Ray that has an issue with the 100 point scoring. On Player 1, the reel will machine gun a little now and then, scoring sometimes 5 or 6 times what it should. Sometimes it works fine. On Player 2, it will almost always machine gun, and to a much greater degree, often 10 or more times what it should.

When starting a game, everything resets as it should and all other scoring works fine. I took a look at, and cleaned, the 100 point relay switches and it looks OK to me, as do the zero and 9 point switches on the reels. Any other thoughts come to mind before I try and replace the entire 100 point relay and switch stack?

#2 8 years ago

I would first look at all SW's on the play field that can score 100 points, expect one to have a small gap.

#3 8 years ago

Hi Toyguy
I do not have a Bally pin - in ipdb.org there is a schema "Mariner" - hard to read. Do you have a schema ?

On my Williams pins I easily can produce "Machine Gun" of "Score-Reel-100-Points-Player-1". With a bit of imagination I can produce "Machine Gun - sometimes" on any "Score-Reel-100-Points-Player-X". With even more imagination I can produce different kinds of "Machine Gun - sometimes" depending on "Player-X".

Look at my PDFs - I once made these PDFs helping on the problem "Aztec - 100-Point-Score-Reel-Player-1 sticks (keeps-on pulling)".

For Your problem - Have a look at "B3" (and "B6") - in my PDF-1 I show "10 Points are given":
Look at Your 100-Point-RELAY -> the "Self-Hold-Switch***" - When the relay is NOT pulling: Is there a nice (big) gap between the two blades / contact-points ? If these contacts are very close together: This can cause the "Machine Gun". Also check: Does the "Anchor-Plate" sits well (on the holding-points) ? Is there a "retaining / returning spring" ? (Nicely pulling ?)
Also check the "E.O.S.-Switch***" on "Player-1-100-Point-Score-Reel" / .... Player-2... At the "End of travel of the plunger": Is this switch widely-opened by the plunger ? Compare ...Player-1... and ...Player-2...: The same setting ?

"Self-Hold-Switch***": From the "Coil of 100-Point-Relay" (Lug on one side) there is a wire running to a solder-Lug on a "Switch attached at this relay" - the "Self-Hold (Circuitry) Switch" - (when the relay is inactive: is there a nice gap between the blades ?).
"E.O.S.-Switch***": In the Score-Reels there are plungers - they travel - at the "end of travel" they hook-on with a teeth (tooth ?) (and when travelling backwards) turn the Score-Reel. (At the End-of-travel: does the switch opens widely ? / On all Score-Reels at "same point of travel" ?)

Toyguy, want to produce (as a test) "Machine Gun on "10-Points-Score-Reel" ? -> Start a game -> Take a Screw-Driver (handle insulated) and carefully hold the tip of the Screw-Driver at the "Self-Hold-Switch on 10-Point-Relay" - at the Bakelite-Holder ! (The relay shall be able to act / move. You ONLY make a connection between the two blades of the Self-Hold-Switch !!!) - As long as You hold-on the Screw-Driver: "Machine Gun" ...

Some theorie: "A-1 to A-8" - Part of the "Reset-Cycle at start of a game": ... Score-Motor (A-4) is turning and with notches it pulses the "No-1-Reset-Relay (A5)" -> therefore "A6" pulses until the turning of the Score-Reel (done by "A-7") opens the "Pos-Zero-Switch A-8".
Actually, "A6" pulses "on / further" until ALL Score-Reels are at Pos-Zero. All Score-Reels have TWO Pos-Zero-Switches -> when the other Zero-Switches (not on the drawing) are ALL open -> "Reset-Cycle" will be stopped.

"B-1 to B-6": 10 points to be given.

"C through K" - The ("C")-100-Point-RELAY is "faulty-always-pulling": Maybe the cause is on "D", "E" ... "K". ((("E" is very theoretical))).

Toyguy, do You have a schema for showing us "interesting parts of schema" ? Greetings Rolf

#4 8 years ago

Hi Toyguy
and the PDFs ... Greetings Rolf
PDF-A-B.PDFPDF-A-B.PDF
PDF-C-K.PDFPDF-C-K.PDF

#5 8 years ago

I Have a PDF copy of the schematic if you want it PM me. I have also upload a copy to IPDB, it may be a while before it is available there

#6 8 years ago

As a follow up, this turned out to be EOS switches on the 100 point reels that were opening too late. I adjusted them to the point where they just clicked to the next digit as the switch opened and that did the trick.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scoring-issue-on-bally-sea-ray and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.