You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dwork_(resized).jpg
bwork_(resized).jpg
Mushroom_BumpScoring_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello all - hoping this is a relatively simple fix, been trying to figure it out. Bally Campus Queen, been working great for a while now thanks to advice in previous threads. Ran into an odd issue today with scoring:

There are (6) Mushroom Bumpers in this game, numbered 1-6. When hit, they each score 50 points, and also trigger various gates depending on what combination of bumpers have been hit. Currently, when the bumpers are hit, they properly illuminate the correct items on the playfield, and the gates function perfectly. Everything that is supposed to happen/trigger is, with the exception of scoring. The issue is that the 50 points that are supposed to be scored are not registering. I found it odd that none of the 6 bumpers are registering the scoring, so the issue is clearly linked to all of them.

I've attached the relevant section of the schematic. Thoughts on what to check?

Color Code for reference: 1-Red, 2-Blue, 3-Yellow, 4-Green, 5-White, 6-Brown, 7-Orange, 8-Black, 9-Gray

Mushroom_BumpScoring_(resized).jpgMushroom_BumpScoring_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Find the 50 point relay and check your swiches. Clean/adjust if needed. You should be able to turn on the game and manually activate the switch to get scoring and chime.

#3 8 years ago

When I manually trigger the 50 point relay, it works fine (chime and scoring). Seems like there's no communication from the bumper relays to the 50 point relay to trigger it. Since it's the same issue for all of them, and they're part of a relay bank, I'm wondering if it's something they have in common.

#4 8 years ago

Broken wire to the 50 point relay would be my guess.

#5 8 years ago

Where is the 50 point relay located - playfield, main board, backbox? Could be a bad Jones plug connection.

Are there two 50 point relays on this machine - #1 50 point relay and #2 50 point relay?

Check the following switches:

#1 50 point relay - switch with red/black wire and grey/white wire --- switch with red/black wire and white wire

Score motor switch 1G - switch with red/white wire and blue/white wire

#2 50 point relay - switch with blue/white wire and white wire

#6 8 years ago

I've only located one 50 point relay, which is odd since the schematic shows two. Going to go through this morning and search again, perhaps it's unlabeled. The relay I located is on the main board, far back right when looking from the player position. It's part of the long series of relays that line that side of the cabinet. I believe it's next to the 100pt relay and the Series relay, but I'll double check.

I'll also check the wires/connections mentioned above and reply back. Thank you all, more to come

#7 8 years ago

Seems to be working again... here's what I did and the results.

Okay, so I went through everything mentioned, and all the connections seemed okay. I found the other 50 point relay (it was next to the existing one, the label was just knocked off (/facepalm). I couldn't find any issues, but since I had cleaned everything and checked connections, I started it back up. Still no scoring on 50 pt mushroom hits. I manually tested the first 50 pt relay and scoring functioned. Then I tested the second 50 pt relay, and it didn't do anything.

At this point I realized that (assuming I'm getting the sequence right) the second 50 pt relay is designed to function only when the first one is active. The idea being that quite frequently two mushroom bumpers can be hit almost simultaneously, so they needed a way to ensure you could still score the second hit while the first was finishing its coil pull and release. I tested this by pressing the first 50 pt relay and then the second 50 pt relay immediately, before the first finished it's scoring cycle. Sure enough, the second 50 pt relay worked. The nearby "series" relay seems to be involved in this process too.

Here's the strange part: me triggering the sequence manually seems to have corrected the issue. All of a sudden, the scoring works again, and there are no issues. It's possible something I cleaned or manipulated manually eliminated the problem, but it almost felt like I "reset" the process by triggering it manually, and now it's fine. Very strange. I'll have to see if it happens again soon, and if so, really take a look at everything to see what's going on. Played about 10 games, no problems, so I'm going to leave this as solved for the moment. If it comes back, I'll post.

Thanks all!

#8 8 years ago

Hi Max
great You fixed the problem. Your theory of "hitting two passive pumpers almost simultaneously" makes sense. Still the "Series Relay" is strange. In my first JPG I show the sitiuation "Max has hit once the Number-1-Mushroom-Bumper -> the Number-1-TRIP-Relay HAS fallen -> so the NEXT time Max hits Number-1-Mushroom-Bumper -> current will flow "light green line".
Lets say "Number-3-Mushroom-Bumper has never been hit" - but NOW You hit it, means: through "orange-line" the current flows - means "Series-Relay has to do with "First-time Hit, TRIP MUST fall" - the (encircled orange) "Switch on Series-Relay" comes into action. Well, I do not understand it - so my question: IN YOUR PIN: How many switches are mounted on the "Series-Relay" ??? With Your answer (maybe 3 - maybe 5 - maybe 1 (?)) I could search the schema all over for "WHERE are these switches used on other places in the schema" ???

This brings me to my second question -> my JPG-2 - just to show - poor quality, hard to read - I tried to look-up "what causes the 10 point-Relay to pulse 5 times ??? 50-point-relay-1 and / or 50-point-relay-2 or what ?
Max, if it is easy and done in a moment: Please show this snippet (my JPG-2) from YOUR paper-schema so I could refresh MY copy of schema.
(((I do not have a Campus Queen - I easily can live with "no freshened up copy")))
Greetings Rolf

bwork_(resized).jpgbwork_(resized).jpg

dwork_(resized).jpgdwork_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

Hmmm, I'll take a look Rolf and post when I have a chance. I closed it all back up since it was working, but I'll re-open and take a peek (and see what else might be relevant to your questions on the schematic.

#10 8 years ago

First rule of EM's, if its not broke don't mess with it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scoring-issue-bally-campus-queen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.