You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151020_185438.jpg
Riverside_Ave_HH.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone,
I'm not completely new to the pinball world, but I am new to the pinball community. I'm also new with owning my own machine. My uncle has had machines for has long as I can remember. He still has some hot titles to this day. I guess his situation is kind of irrelevant. I just wanted to give a brief history to help explain how I became involved in the pinball world.
Okay, like the titles says...... I landed a haunted house pinball a few days ago. I called my uncle to see if it was a title worth getting and he almost killed me for wasting precious time by calling him. He told me to get it and run so I did.
I've been inspecting the machine over the last few days and have to say I'm pretty happy.
The machine was in storage for 5 years so it was pretty dusty and needed some tlc.
The ground modifications were not done on the machine so I figured I'd do that before I tinkered around too much. I bought the machine with "electrical problems" and was a little nervous. I did the ground upgrades and turned it on. It had no coil power, no sound and wouldn't boot. I only had playfield lights and back box lights. I was thinking shit, what did I just get myself into? I'm not a pinball mechanic. I'm definitely a very mechanical and hands on person, but never troubleshot a pinball before. The guts and boads looked pretty clean. I found 2 blown fuses so I replaced them. I made sure the battery was good and free of leaks and I made sure the orange capacitors were replaced. I am a very maticulous person. I got the multi meter out and download a Gottlieb system 80 service guide and checked everything I could think of before trying to power it on again. Every single thing I checked was good. I plugged it up and pressed start. The machine was back from the dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it was just 2 fuses.
Overall, this darn thing is solid!! It has a handful of scuffs on the cabinet and back box. It has some playfield ware, but nothing too crazy, just in the common areas. Thankfully the last owner identified that and put playfield protectors in those areas to keep it from getting any worse!!
The Back glass is surprisingly nice for being in storage for so long, it had 2 quarter sized spots on the perimeter. One spot was cause by me. (My guts fell out of me when I did that) I scraped the back glass on day 1!!!! Wth was I thinking?
All but 2 playfield plastics are perfect. 2 plastics have hairline cracks and of those two plastics one has 2 cracks and the other just one.
The legs need to be sanded and painted and new levelers installed. It is missing the coin tray :
and the plumb bob looking tilt switch part( the parr that goes inside of the brass colored ring and when tilted completes the circuit to kill the game) not there.
The playfield could use a good cleaning and wax.
Those are my issues with this machine. I think I just saved a haunted house. It feels so good to be a part of rescuing one of these old classics.
Im not sure when, but I think I will sell this machine and trade up until I'm able to get my hands on an attack from mars.
Thanks for listening to my rant lol!!
I wanted to share this awesome story with all you diehards.
Newb--

#2 8 years ago

Just want to correct myself. The ground upgrade is not completely done. I still have 2 boards to ground.

#3 8 years ago

Congrats and welcome.
Must have been a good deal if your uncle told you to run and get it. It's a great game.
And that's about as much as I read as I have "non diagnosed" ADD and your post was too long for me.

#4 8 years ago

Congratulations and welcome to the HH club. It is such a classic game and the music/art is very cool. Haunted House was my childhood favorite game. A friend up the street had one in his basement in the early 90's, his dad was into pins and juke boxes. The game always scared/fascinated me. I was not really into pinball until I randomly remembered the game last Spring while sitting at home. I then researched everything I could about it until I rescued one from someone's basement out in Long Island that sat there for 27+ years. It feels good to know I rescued it. It was dirty, moldy and decaying. I passed on other offers from sellers who had ready to go versions that looked good. It is way more rewarding to do it myself and I know everything on the game is 100% original parts because of how long it sat there. Here is my pinside thread documenting my restoration: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-haunted-house-back-to-life

Now that I have the HH and it's being worked on as we speak, I am hooked on pins and looking at my next one to match it. Thinking a Tales From The Crypt or Elvira and The Party Monsters is next.

Also, I've been there with my HH when it comes to scratching things or messing something up. I put a dent in the side cabinet and hurt my backglass bad. It sucks, but it's all part of the learning process of what to do and what not to do. I definitely encourage going through the motions to fix up original parts, even legs, but I will say new legs look really nice. You can find everything you need on this site http://www.pbresource.com/hauntedhouse.html. All parts on mine are 100% original except my legs, the clear window looking into the basement which gets scratched up and hard to see through, and I bought new boards to make sure it's rock solid electronically.

Message me if you ever need anything. I'm a newbie, and this is my first pin, but I'm learning so much.

Riverside Ave HH.jpgRiverside Ave HH.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Davebart5,
That's so cool to hear your story!!! The feeling is mutual. The satisfaction from saving a machine has got to be much better than just buying one all ready to go. I am definitely going to be replacing the window that looks down into the cellar. Mine isn't really scratched, but it's foggy. As far as the legs go,
I think restoring the originals is my best bet. I know new replacements aren't too expensive, I think I can do a near perfect restore on these. I'm a metal worker by trade and have all the tools. Painting and sealing will be my biggest obstacle.
As far as contacting you with any questions,
Thanks for the offer. That means alot from someone I've never met. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you.
Thank you
By the way,
That's a sweet Haunted House

#6 8 years ago

Oh, well, if your a metal worker then definitely do it yourself. Thats a great skill to have.

I bought my window from http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-21140-G-K. CPR also sells them but shipping is much cheaper with Marco.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your finished product before you sell it.

#7 8 years ago

Selling was my original thought, but I think I'm getting attached to it already hahaha.
I'm ordering the window now
Thank you!

#8 8 years ago

http://arcadecontrols.com/files/Manuals/Black%20Hole%20-%20Haunted%20House%20Repair%20Guide.pdf

If you don't already have this, you are going to need it.

Congrats on your new game!

#9 8 years ago

Awesom, thank you!!!
I didn't have that. I had something similar, but not as in depth. THANK YOU

#10 8 years ago

20151020_185438.jpg20151020_185438.jpg

This picture is from day one when nothing worked and when it was still filthy. The window to the lower PF was rigged with cushions of duct tape instead of rubber spacers. I ordered the new window with new cushions from Marcos
Paid $500

#11 8 years ago

Congrats on a great score! Good luck with getting her functional again.

#12 8 years ago

One too many zero's ?

#13 8 years ago

I really like HH... Would love to own one. Have fun getting to know it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scored-a-new-used-haunted-house and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.