IMG_0340.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_0332.jpg

#1 9 years ago

One of my wife's friends called last week and asked if I would like a pinball that has been in her dad's garage for the past 35 years. Why yes, I would like a free pin! I was over in about five minutes and picked a Gottlieb Quick Draw, decent shape overall but definitely showing signs of sitting since 1979. There was some creature living in it at one time or another as all wires were chewed clean off the plugs, I reconnected them and the game powers up but the score motor runs continuously, as does a stepper under the playfield. The underside of the playfield is remarkably clean but the bottom board is pretty dirty. I'm currently going through everything, cleaning and rebuilding as with any neglected EM. I've only owned Williams pins to now and am amazed at how little movement there is on Gottlieb switches and how small the gap is between some some of them. I'm having a hard time telling if something is normally open or normally closed, the creature sleeping on them certainly didn't help matters.

Right now the game shows Game Over and Tile on the back glass, with the score motor and playfield stepper constantly running. I don't have a manual or schematic (yet) but is there anything obvious I should try first? My Williams manuals show the switch stacks and arrangement, do Gottliebs show the same?

Side note, the operator who slapped their sticker right on the apron cover is still in business, about a mile from my house. Wonder if it's still under warranty with them...

IMG_0332.jpgIMG_0332.jpg IMG_0334.jpgIMG_0334.jpg IMG_0335.jpgIMG_0335.jpg IMG_0344.jpgIMG_0344.jpg IMG_0345.jpgIMG_0345.jpg
#2 9 years ago

A few more pictures.

IMG_0338.jpgIMG_0338.jpg IMG_0340.jpgIMG_0340.jpg IMG_0343.jpgIMG_0343.jpg IMG_0346.jpgIMG_0346.jpg IMG_0349.jpgIMG_0349.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Congrats!

Free pinball is the best!

Ken

#4 9 years ago

FREE ← The one F word that always gets peoples attention.
Cool beans on the Quick Draw northside-irish.

#5 9 years ago

You may want to check the hacked wiring on the Jones plugs - looks like there are a couple of wires that need attention

#6 9 years ago

why why why does that not ever happened to me.
congratulations.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

You may want to check the hacked wiring on the Jones plugs - looks like there are a couple of wires that need attention

They're temporarily twisted together and just electrical taped for now, my thought was to make sure it was working before permanently soldering them. I'm starting to think you may be right tho, does look a little nasty.

#8 9 years ago

I love the operator's sticker with the INdependence phone number and the 2 digit zip code.

They came out with the modern zip codes in 1963, so that sticker was at least 12 years old when they slapped it on the machine. That's one thrifty operator.

#9 9 years ago

I love FREE! but never happens to ME.
great score on a great title

#10 9 years ago

Free is great and a good player like Quick Draw is even better - Congrats!

#11 9 years ago

Free... And a Quick Draw....

I hate you.

Seriously... Congrats!

- jeff

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
$ 5.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scored-a-free-quick-draw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.