Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dr_nybble
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C3F7B9FE-D663-458D-91C6-7E80ED32EBC8 (resized).png
Cinema reset relays (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

I am very inexperienced with ems but I have a chicago coin cinema where on power on with ball in outhole the score motir spins continuously but score reels don’t reset. Any help is appreciated I have only just started and looking for advice on this one to start.

Thanks

#2 4 months ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

I'd start by cleaning and adjusting all the score reels. Usually a switch on one of them is hanging up...that said it could really be anything

#3 4 months ago

During reset the #1 and #2 Score Reset relays should be pulsing to get the score reels to advance to zero. Are the relays pulsing?

/Mark

#4 4 months ago

No nothing in the backbox isdoing anything at all.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from FrankyP:

No nothing in the backbox isdoing anything at all.

The #1 and #2 Score Reset relays are probably in the back box, but they could be in the cabinet. It would be best if you find them and see if they're pulsing. They should be labeled.

If they're not pulsing the next thing to check is the Start relay which is probably in the cabinet. It should be active or closed while the reset sequence is happening. If it's not closed try pushing on the armature with a wooden stick or pencil to close it. If it's already closed, shut off the power and have a close look at the normally open switch in the red box below:
Cinema reset relays (resized).jpg
The switch is mounted on the Start relay and connects a green wire to a green-red wire. See if it closes when the relay closes. It may be misadjusted or the contacts may need cleaning.

#6 4 months ago

From what i can tell these are the two reset relays in the backbox. The one to the right does nothing while the one on the left twitches slightly but is not engaging is this a low voltage issue or bad relays i need to change? I did locate the green red green switch it is normally open but closed when start engages i can try to clean thise comtacts next. As of right now my reset button seems to do nothing but when i manually engage start score motor spins and back box relays seem to try but not engage.

C3F7B9FE-D663-458D-91C6-7E80ED32EBC8 (resized).png
#7 4 months ago

Use the wire colors on the reset relay coils from the schematic above to verify that those are the right relays.

If there's enough voltage for the score motor to turn it's probably not a low voltage issue. And unless the coil wrappers are burnt the relays are unlikely to be bad. The switch on the Start relay would be the first thing to try. If you have an alligator clip test lead you could try shorting the solder tabs of that switch together to get a good electrical connection and see if the relays start pulsing.

Otherwise checking that the switch actually closes and cleaning the switch contacts would be the first things to try. Use a dollar bill, a flextone or some 1000+ grit sandpaper to clean the contacts. Put it between the contacts, close the switch by pressing in the relay armature so the contacts clamp down on it, and pull it out. You just want to remove the built up dirt, not any of the metal from the contacts.

#8 4 months ago

The score reset relays are pulsed via switches on the score motor. The schematic on ipdb.org is too low resolution to read the score motor section very well, but assuming you have a schematic look for the switches on the motor responsible for pulsing the reset relays. Ensure they are clean and making good contact as the motor runs.

#9 4 months ago

I do have the schematic was with the machine. So is it not the green red green switch on start relay? You are saying its on the score motor?

#10 4 months ago

Check both — although if neither relay is energizing then the start relay switch seems more likely since it is in common with both reset relays. Manually close the start relay when the power is off, you should see the switch in question close and flex slightly. If not adjust the gap.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6.00
€ 4.20
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 14.95
$ 209.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 320.00
$ 16.00
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 248.85
$ 28.95
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 132.00
$ 149.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside