6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by WolfPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

My 18 year old son came home with a United Mfg shuffle bowling alley. We have in narrowed down to 1952-53. The only ID is the name "Rainbow" at the top of the back glass. I haven't been able to find anything about it on the web. I found mention of one from same mfg with the same name, but it's a different machine (different back glass, cabinet graphics and scoring - regulation vs 20-30) and from 1954 apparently.

That's just some background, should anyone have any info on our machine.

My question is about the score reels. Each one is held to the back box with two screws, one at the top and one at the bottom of the score reel bracket. Between the metal bracket and the wood of the back box is what looks like a black foam washer. They are hard and fall apart when removed (they tend to be stuck to the wood). I have two guesses as to their purpose. The first would be to cut down on vibration transferring from the reel to the box. I don't see the point in that. My second guess is that they (when new) allow you to adjust the score reel to the clear window in the back glass. By tightening either the top or to bottom more that the other, you would angle the whole score reel mechanism and change where the number sits relative to the window in the back glass.

My guess is that EM pinballs from the same era used these washers, but my experience is with EM pins from 1965+ so I can't be sure of that.

Can anyone explain what they are for? More importantly, what can we use to replace the washers? And where would we get the replacements?

If this isn't the place where I should be posting this, please tell me where I should post. I haven't been able to find a forum for shuffle puck bowlers, but they really aren't that different from pins when you look at the mechanisms.

Thanks for your help.

#2 6 years ago

I have a 1956 United handicap and all my black washers were dry and crusty, and sticky. I cleaned it all up and used rubber grommets 5/8 OD by 3/16 thick. Worked really good. They seem as they would function as the original pieces, whatever their purpose was.

#3 6 years ago

My williams king pin has those on the relay reset banks on the bottom of the playfield. I think they are used on it to isolate some vibrations.

I also seem to remember seeing these on gottlieb games on the replay unit..

#4 6 years ago

I'd lean towards the former purpose as United used these too in the 50s and calls them Sponge Rubber Shock Mounts. See first diagram, part P-35.
    http://www.backglass.org/williams/kordek_archives/united_grey_parts_catalog_100.pdf

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone. Very helpful. And thanks for the parts catalog, jeffc. We hadn't even tried to find a manual for it yet and I never thought of looking for a general parts catalog. This also made me think of looking for manuals for other models from United around the same time period if I can't find anything for ours. We noticed this morning that at some point someone stapled the schematics to the bottom of the alley surface (inside the box). We didn't notice it the other time we had the alley lifted. We really haven't spent much time looking at it yet. The fun starts, hopefully, this Sunday.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-reel-washers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.