(Topic ID: 192205)

Score reel reset problem

By pinheadpierre

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a Williams Moulin Rouge that I recently went through and saved from the grave. I had it working really well this past weekend with the exception of an occasional sticking of the 100pt score reel, but ONLY when resetting for a new game. All of the score reels work perfectly all the time during a game. It is only during the startup sequence that the 100pt reel sticks. Today it totally stuck. It won't budge during the startup sequence no matter what number it is on. Again, only during startup/reset.

I can trick the machine into thinking that it is reset by turning it off at the power strip that it is plugged into and then turning it back on (I have the lock coil wedged on to bypass it). I can then play a game normally except that I start with an extra however many 100 points that the reel is stuck on.

So is it possible that there is a switch somewhere that is not making good enough contact to provide adequate voltage to the 100pt reel only during the startup sequence? Are there switches that are only used for the reset/startup sequence that never come into play during a game? If so, where? On the drum unit, perhaps?

#2 6 years ago

Do you have the schematic. Post it here or better on IPDB so we can help you.

#3 6 years ago

There should be a reset relay in the head of the game that pulses when the game is started and keeps pulsing from a cam on the score motor until all the score reels are zero'ed out. Pull the game away from the wall and remove the cover off the back. Start a game, get some scores going on that reel and then have someone restart the game while you are standing back there. When it's resetting, and the reels are moving back to zero, look for a relay that's pulsing, clicking and sparking a bit when the reels reset. Pull that relay out, clean and adjust the switches. There may be two relays back there. One for players 1 and 3 and another for players 2 and 4, so there may be two you may want to look at.

#4 6 years ago

I recently had the same problem w 1 of my games..I cleaned all the eos and checked gaps..still didn't work. I took apart the reel last nite and cleaned the cam and all parts..assembled it and played a few games and happy to report that it reset normally..

#5 6 years ago

there is definitely a switch out of adjustment on the 100 point score reel. I would read about what the reel should do when it is in the 0 position. There is a switch that opens when going between 9 and 0 that is probably not opening. I would take that reel out and manually cycle through the numbers and watch the switches especially when going from 9 to 0. Also take out a working reel and compare the functions of the switches of both reels.

#6 6 years ago

This has turned into an intermittent problem. As soon as I stated this thread, the reel started working properly again. I did take it out and look at it and test it again. About two months ago I totally cleaned and lubed all of the reels. They all click smoothly through their steps with the switches all doing what you would expect, all contacts cleaned and polished. They all work great.... except for the 100 point reel.... sometimes.

#7 6 years ago

I vote rip the reel apart and rebuild.

-Jeff

#8 6 years ago

Hi Pierre
please explain the "sometimes" --- when the 100 point reel happens to be in Zero-Position; Of course no need for stepping. When the reel happens to be in Position-5, -6, -7, -8, -9: Is it stepped always to Position-Zero - or (only) sometimes ? Greetings Rolf

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions - I will look again and get back after the 4th. I am out of town and even though i was tempted, I did not bring the game with me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-reel-reset-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.