• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chrimeg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Disco Stern Electronics, 1977
#1 6 years ago

Recently acquired Stern EM Disco pinball game. Few issues I had to work thru with unresponsive playfield, typical gummed up steppers etc.

Anyhow I got everything working and the score motors were sticky. Removed player one score reels, cleaned and put back in place. Ran thru a few games and all worked well.

Started two player game and all worked well but the two player score reels were all sticky. Game ended, turned off machine, removed first score reel (do one at a time and test) from two player side, cleaned, put back together and tested. Now when starting a game it keeps going thru the reset sequence (single player/can't get into the two player feature because its stuck in reset sequence). All player one reels reset as normal but the game just keeps looping.

Start game relay stays engaged. If I manually pull it open the ball ejects and game plays fine.

I've rechecked the score reels and all looks good. For the life of me I can find the problem. Is it a coincidence that this just happened after player 2 reel was cleaned? During 1 player game does the 2 player reels also have to reset?

At a loss here and could use some suggestions.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

I've rechecked the score reels and all looks good. For the life of me I can find the problem. Is it a coincidence that this just happened after player 2 reel was cleaned? During 1 player game does the 2 player reels also have to reset?

Yeah all reels have to reset to 0.

Check all the zero position switches on the reels to make sure they are making a good connection. You can test them by jumpering them closed and seeing if the reset completes.

Also give all of the switch wires on the reels a tug test. You may have a loose wire in there.

#3 6 years ago

Ok so all 2nd player reels have to reset too 0 as well. Wasn't sure if that was required during 1 player game but it may explain what is happening as it only started happening after initiating the first 2 player game.

I'll pull those reels this evening and see what happens.

I'm hoping it's not one of those wiper fingers...can find replacements anywhere just in case.

#4 6 years ago

the wipers on score reels typically are only for match and shouldn't have anything to do with resetting

#5 6 years ago

Alright so I've moved forward a little. Its in the process of resetting player two reels. Setting these reels manually the game plays fine. Both player one and player two score points and reels move. However, when the game ends and I start a new one. The player one reels reset fine. Player two reels do nothing. They have to be reset manually and the game works again.

I jumped the solenoids on player two from player one and they fire during the reset sequence. So it has to be in the reset side of player two somewhere.

Any ideas anyone?

#6 6 years ago

The problem is most likely in the switches on the score reels that open when those score reels reach zero. That's how the Reset relay knows when to let go.

#7 6 years ago

Found the problem to be in score motor impulse switch. Seems two are listed in this cabinet...assuming one is for player 1 and the other for player two. Re-adjusted switch, cleaned and now player two score resets as needed.

Looking over the switch banks they all need cleaning by the looks of it...score motor switches look very intimidating thats for sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-reel-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.