(Topic ID: 116156)

Score Reel Issue - Williams Space Odyssey

By SilverBallKid

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverBallKid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So my brother and I noticed something last night while playing. Off work today with a bit of flu, and checked on this a little bit. Looking for advice here.

My Player 2 10,000 score reel seems to "slip" from time to time. I really don't know what else to call it. At times, the 10,000 reel will increase when it shouldn't be increasing. Two things about this:

1. This doesn't usually happen during most "normal scoring" instances. For instance, if the score is at 47,000 and the player hits a 5,000 bonus (say on the swinging target) the score reels will advance properly to 52,000. However, if (for example) the spinner is hit and is lit for 1,000 as opposed to 100 then you can clearly see the 10,000 reel increasing during the spin when it shouldn't be. To me, this is potentially because the mechanical action is taking place much faster from the spinner pulses than it normally is from other scoring occurrences.

2. This tends to happen less once a few games have been played on the Player 2 side of the game. Usually by the 3d or 4th game of a session, the tendency of the 10,000 reel to increase extra times seems to go away, sometimes completely.

In a case like this, should I be more concerned with the switch contacts that are "made" when the 1,000 reel goes from 9 to 0 (and thus pulsing the 10,000 reel), or is this "slipping" more likely the result of the fingers in the contact that travels along the circuit board?

All my score reels were broken down, soaked in an ultrasonic and rebuilt last summer. All coil sleeves were replaced at that time, so they are all less than 6 months old.

Thanks.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from textrivers:

Hey SBK, it might help to get more info from you about EXACTLY when the issue happens and when it doesn't, and EXACTLY what happens.
Is it only spinner shots that will cause extra scoring? Is there anything else you can do to artificially reproduce the issue?

It wouldn't hurt to inspect those switches. It may just be me, but I don't understand the second part of the question (about the fingers/circuit board).

Let's do this...

My brother is coming over again tonight to play (go figure) and I will record the first few runs on player 2 so I can try to isolate an instance of the issue in question and post footage of it happening.

It is hard to watch the reels and play at the same time for diagnostic purposes, but tonight I can just watch while someone else plays so I have a better idea of when (and perhaps how) this happens.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Quoted from ccotenj:

i would check the 9's position switch on the 100 reel to ensure it isn't "bouncing"...

Can you tell me what you mean by "bouncing"?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverBallKid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-reel-issue-williams-space-odyssey?tu=SilverBallKid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.