• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5418 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

hello,

Ok well this is a quick question for anyone in the know.. My Hundreds score reel on my Sky Jump has always had an issue. It does not sound as precise as all the other score reels. When scoring 500 pts it sounds like a machine gun with lots of buzzing and vibrating going on and sometimes scores less than 500 pts. In addition it is the only one of all 4 reels that does not have the printed circuit board on it. I know the others are decagon, but im not sure about this one. for anyone with a Sky Jump can you tell me if you have the same reel setup? And hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on the buzzing and scoring issue. I've attached a pic of the reels and a video of the issue i am having. thanks

IMG_5418 (resized).JPGIMG_5418 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

A Score Reel is fitted with a printed circuit board when the game needs to know what digit is showing on the score reel. All score reels have switches to stop them at zero when resetting, and most have another switch to carry to the next higher digit when showing a nine (e.g. 90 -> 100). If the game needs any more information than that, a printed circuit board and wipers are added to identify specific digits. In your case the 10s digit is probably used by the match circuit to award a free game, so the game needs to know which digit is showing when deciding whether or not you matched at the end of the game. The 1000s and 10,000s score reels are probably used by the replay score circuitry, to award a free game when you pass whatever score thresholds are set.

The 100s digit doesn't have a circuit board because the game never needs to know if the 100s digit is showing anything between 1 and 8.

The buzzing may be due to the coil being loose in its frame, or perhaps a loose or damaged coil stop. Coils in score reels often have a thin, potato chip shaped spring washer between the coil and the frame, around the coil sleeve, to keep the coil under tension and keep it from vibrating. I'd compare the noisy coil to a quieter coil and see if you can identify any mechanical differences in how they're mounted or how much wiggle room they have.

/Mark

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

A Score Reel is fitted with a printed circuit board when the game needs to know what digit is showing on the score reel. All score reels have switches to stop them at zero when resetting, and most have another switch to carry to the next higher digit when showing a nine (e.g. 90 -> 100). If the game needs any more information than that, a printed circuit board and wipers are added to identify specific digits. In your case the 10s digit is probably used by the match circuit to award a free game, so the game needs to know which digit is showing when deciding whether or not you matched at the end of the game. The 1000s and 10,000s score reels are probably used by the replay score circuitry, to award a free game when you pass whatever score thresholds are set.
The 100s digit doesn't have a circuit board because the game never needs to know if the 100s digit is showing anything between 1 and 8.
The buzzing may be due to the coil being loose in its frame, or perhaps a loose or damaged coil stop. Coils in score reels often have a thin, potato chip shaped spring washer between the coil and the frame, around the coil sleeve, to keep the coil under tension and keep it from vibrating. I'd compare the noisy coil to a quieter coil and see if you can identify any mechanical differences in how they're mounted or how much wiggle room they have.
/Mark

Thank you for that great Info MarkG . I understand now why the reels are setup the way they are.. I will look at the coil some more and try to compare it to how the others are setup. Im gonna take some alligator clips and do some testing between relays and the score reels to see if I can identify the issue.. I dont think the coil is loose, it seems pretty tight in its housing .. I ll report back..

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

/Mark

Well, I added a small thin washer between the coil stop and the frame and the problem of buzzing is almost completely gone now.. im still not 100% happy with the way it sometimes skips around when adding 500 points.. but it doesn't happen often so im not too worried about it at this point. one thing i noticed that may be related is that the relay for the reel ( the one in the video ) has a tighter spring than the other relays in the head for the other reels.. im not sure if this is by deign or not, however when i changed the spring to the same exact spring that the other relays have, it would stick quite often.. changing the spring back to the smaller one fixed it.. Im wondering if whomever had this game might have added more tension to mask this problem.. what do you think?

#6 5 years ago

thank you.. i have this page bookmarked and have read it about 5 times by now )) looks like a simple washer that MarkG mentioned fixed the issue..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
£ 2.50
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-reel-issue-2?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.