Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by AlexF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My tens and hundreds score reels on my 4 Roses will sometimes stick in between numbers. I have many 60's Williams games and have 'never' seen this happen on any of them before. Hoping somebody will have an idea on what might be causing this?

#2 8 years ago

Have you disassembled them and cleaned them really well?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

Have you disassembled them and cleaned them really well?

Oh, yes... I've have done all that on all three reels.

Didn't do the ones unit until later because it was working okay (at least at first) but am glad I did.

Because once I got into it, it had a blown-out hole in the plunger, a mushroomed coil stop cutting into the sleeve and even a notch worn into the nylon cam. I replaced all three (four counting new sleeve) of these items with ones off of parts reels I have. I don't know how the silly thing was even working... with all the soot, grease and grime in there, plus all those bad parts!

#4 8 years ago

Each relay should have an EOS switch that should tell the coil to release. I'd guess it's either dirty or not spaced properly.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Each relay should have an EOS switch that should tell the coil to release. I'd guess it's either dirty or not spaced properly.

Hmmm, that might be... but I thought the EOS switch that told the coil to release was in the reel?

Is there one in the relay too?

Sorry, fairly new to this.

#6 8 years ago

Hmm... I'm not the most experienced either but I worked on a machine around Christmas that had the 10 relay sticking and I'm sure it was the relay I adjusted.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Hmm... I'm not the most experienced either but I worked on a machine around Christmas that had the 10 relay sticking and I'm sure it was the relay I adjusted.

I will check into this and find out. But that seems to make sense... the coil dropping out too soon and so the reel doesn't quite step up all the way. When I find out, I will adjust it so the EOS opens right at the extreme end and hope this will fix it.

I looked at these switches in the reels before and they looked okay... but I will have to look again and see if I can more out of them.

#8 8 years ago

Hi there
if the player sees a stuck Score-Reel (for example: the reel is in between 6 and 7), then it is a mechanical problem: The spring pulling back the plunger (into regular position) is weak and does not pull enough / the movement of the plunger is not "easy-going" / the turning of the wheel is not "easy-going". Want to try: Mount a rubber ring to help the metal-spring "pulling" ?

E.O.S.-Switch ? This switch is a fine invention. Lets say: It needs 0.6 seconds for the plunger to travel all the way and hook its notch into the wheel (to turn). The coil of the Score-Reel looses current and no longer pulls the plunger -> the spring pulls the plunger back and the notch on the plunger turns the wheel. When the ball on the playfield makes a "Bull's eye hit" / "direct hit" and closes the playfield-switch (behind the target) for 0.6 / 0.7 / 0.8 / ... seconds: The point is given to the player.

When the ball makes a "grace shot" and the switch behind the playfield-target is closed for only 0.4 seconds: The point would not be given to the player (The plungers notch has not yet hooked in ...)

The beautiful invention: The ball on the playfield closes a switch -> 1-Point-Relay pulls. A "Self-Hold-Switch on the 1-Point-Relay" establish "1-Point-Relay pulls forever". A second switch (on the 1-Point-Relay) is also closed and let current flow to the Coil-of-the-1-Point-Score-Reel. The Plunger-on-the-1-Point-Score-Reel opens at "End-Of-Stroke" a switch - THIS switch is in the circuitry of the "1-Point-Relay-Self-Hold-Circuitry" -> the 1-Point-Relay let go and opens (also its Self-Hold-Circuitry AND) the switch "current-can-flow-to-the-Coil-of-1-Point-Score-Reel". With this invention: the point will be given - even when the ball makes a "Grace-Shot". Greetings Rolf

#9 8 years ago

I'm starting to think it is a mechanical problem although not entirely sure.

I have the EOS switches adjusted about as good as they can be.

BUT... I have just started keeping track of exactly 'where' the score reels get stuck.

Right now, I wrote down the tens reel getting stuck in between the eight and nine... and the hundreds score reel getting stuck in between the zero and one. If these are where these two reels are always sticking, then I will have an answer. I must conclude that I have bad (worn) cams again and they need to be replaced.

The only trouble with that is... trying to find replacement parts that aren't equally as worn.

I know from my limited experience... that you have to keep trying different things and think outside of the box.

#10 8 years ago

I had the exact same problem with my Bally Freedom over the weekend.
Turned out to be a burr on the ratchet. I took it apart and cleaned everything, and then shaved off the burr (very carefully) with a razor blade. It will probably need to be replaced eventually, but is working fine now!
Good luck! E

#11 8 years ago

Does it usually hang on the number 9? The score reel cam has a little hump that the switch actuator rides on. The switches can be adjusted so that there is too much resistance on the switch actuator. When it gets to that hump there is just too much drag to get over to the next number. You have to adjust those switches just right so there is as little down force as possible but just enough that they change state as the cam indicates.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-reel-issue-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.