IMG_4738 (resized).JPG
IMG_4737 (resized).JPG
IMG_4744 (resized).JPG
IMG_4745 (resized).JPG
IMG_4746 (resized).JPG
IMG_4747 (resized).JPG
IMG_4736 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

All of a sudden, a single player game scores the ones on the "player 2" reel and doesn't advance the "100" reel on "player 1". Ten's work fine. When playing with two players, everything works fine. What should I look at first?

IMG_4736 (resized).JPGIMG_4736 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

No schematic at IPDB. Do you have one you can post?

#3 5 years ago

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

#4 5 years ago

No. I don't have a schematic.

This is a "rescue" pinball from over 15 years ago, which was laying on the side of the road in my neighborhood, with no legs and the head laying next to it (sounds like a horror movie so far). Every wire was cut to remove the backbox. It was there for a couple of days and fortunately the weather was favorable (no heavy rains). One day my nephew stopped by my house with his new truck and said he saw the pinball machine. He wanted to know if I wanted him to pick it up for me. Of course!

I spent many hours splicing the bundles of wires. I had to use a magnifying glass to identify, match, label and solder the many colors of wires on each cut end. I swear this project caused my eyesight to age 10 years. Been wearing readers since!

It was always working until a few days ago. It's still playable other than the scoring in one player games. Should I just start cleaning all of the many contacts?

#5 5 years ago

Your problem lies in the player up stepper unit (If game is equipped with one) or the Player 2 up relay which the game will have if not equipped with a player stepper unit.

Contacts are misadjusted on the relay or the return spring is broken that pulls the armature back. If equipped with a player up unit, it is likely not fully resetting due to gummed up lubricant etc. Check for proper, fast stepping up and resetting.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks @mrbally. The only thing I've ever done to this machine is switch the wire from Hi-Tap to the normal lug and recently replaced all bulbs to LEDs. Maybe it's time to do some work on the mechanical parts. I'll take some pictures and get them up on here later. Hopefully that will help someone diagnose the problem.

#7 5 years ago

Well, The 2nd player problem seemed to go away (at least for now), but sometimes the 1 in player one's 1000 lights up at power-up. Then the first digit in player two is slightly off...THEN the right drop target died. It's not getting power to the coil.

Lots of little things all of a sudden.

Here's some pictures of an El Toro.

IMG_4741 (resized).JPGIMG_4741 (resized).JPG
IMG_4742 (resized).JPGIMG_4742 (resized).JPG
IMG_4738 (resized).JPGIMG_4738 (resized).JPG
IMG_4737 (resized).JPGIMG_4737 (resized).JPG
What are these extra jumpers used for?
IMG_4739 (resized).JPGIMG_4739 (resized).JPG
What's the meaning of the 2, 5, 10 R.P.
IMG_4740 (resized).JPGIMG_4740 (resized).JPG
IMG_4744 (resized).JPGIMG_4744 (resized).JPG
IMG_4745 (resized).JPGIMG_4745 (resized).JPG
It's amazing watching these things in action.
IMG_4746 (resized).JPGIMG_4746 (resized).JPG
And those bells!
IMG_4747 (resized).JPGIMG_4747 (resized).JPG

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Dennis33:

Well, The 2nd player problem seemed to go away (at least for now), but sometimes the 1 in player one's 1000 lights up at power-up. Then the first digit in player two is slightly off...THEN the right drop target died. It's not getting power to the coil.
Lots of little things all of a sudden.
Here's some pictures of an El Toro.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
It's amazing watching these things in action.
[quoted image]
And those bells!
[quoted image]

Additional high-score replay settings as indicated on the card.
[quoted image]
What's the meaning of the 2, 5, 10 R.P
Not sure. I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic and possibly the game manual.

#9 4 years ago

Hi Dennis33, MrBally +
2, 5, 10 R.P. --- Replays. See the first JPG - one of the better parts of the copy of schematics of "El Toro" I have. And the second JPG shows the same area of "Tom Tom". Here http://www.jukeboxpinballandmore.de/schaltplaene_flipper.php?sid=#E they claim to have the schematics for sale, 20 Euro for the paper schematics, shipping costs within Europe is 5 Euro, Greetings Rolf

0El-Toro-Work-02.jpg0El-Toro-Work-02.jpg0El-Toro-Work-03.jpg0El-Toro-Work-03.jpg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Dennis33:

If both players match in the same game, you win either 2,5, or 10 replays depending on the setting. I wonder why they didn't make it 6 instead of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-problem-on-williams-el-toro?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.