50hz Score Motor

By musickerns

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Williams Dealers Choice pin my question, the score motor seams to run fast when counting down the bonus score after ball drains. It seams like it's to fast for the chime to keep up. I compared my pin to other pins on YouTube mine is faster. Any thoughts thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Could your game have been reimported to the US? Even if someone swapped the transformer, the score motor would run fast if it was geared for 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz.

#3 7 years ago

I thought that maybe it was high tap at the transformer but that's not the case.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from musickerns:

I thought that maybe it was high tap at the transformer but that's not the case.

That wouldn't do it. It's a hertz thing, not power related necessarily. I'm betting on what MarkG said. Look under the coin return on the coin door of your pin, if it's still attached it'll say where your pin was exported to.

#5 7 years ago

Mid 70's Williams and Gottlieb EM's count fast. By the mid to late 70's the games were at the ragged edge of em stepper tech.

Here is my Dealers Choice...skip to 9:39 for a full 10,000 count single bonus.

Is yours significantly faster?

#6 7 years ago

Actually this is the video I was comparing it to. My machine is faster therefore the chime can't keep up. I looked at Pinball Resource web site there is score motor for my game that is the direct replacement it is 14A-7883 24v 60hz 32rpm. He also has the 14A-7882 27v 60hz 30rpm a little slower. Don't know if it would work because my pin is 24v.

#7 7 years ago

Oh there is no exported to sticker on the coin door.

#8 7 years ago

If its a chime problem (chime seems to dribble not hitting or sporadically hitting) observe the score relays in the back while the count down is activated. Observe sparking switches. I had one doing this yesterday and filed/cleaned the Relay switch that sounds the chime and now it sings.

#9 7 years ago

I 2nd phil-lee's advice about cleaning and adjusting the switches on the 1000 point relay. Also, I'd pull the chime unit out and clean the plunger and coil sleeve.

#10 7 years ago

It only sounds weak when the bonus counts down not on the 1000 point rollover buttons.

#11 7 years ago

The switches for the 1000 rollovers will activate slower than the bonus count and may pull the 1000 point relay in enough to trigger the chime better.

The switch that activates the chime on the 1000 point relay will have a larger contact. Have you tried cleaning and adjusting that relay? From memory, the 1000 switch might be closest to the back board. Don't be afraid to unscrew that relay from the back board for a proper cleaning of the contacts and adjustment of the leafs.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

The switches for the 1000 rollovers will activate slower than the bonus count and may pull the 1000 point relay in enough to trigger the chime better.

Kind of like when a chime rarely chimes on a spinner. Same thing. Adjustment and cleaning. (Then again, that's really all it ever is in this section of the hobby... but you get the idea! )

#13 7 years ago

Here's a video link to my machine counting down a double bonus at the end of the video. Also you may notice the 1-9 rollover button they seem a little quicker to me than most videos I've watched. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4EnFPy0jPakdU95OVQ0TnU4b1E

#14 7 years ago

I have power fluctuations at my place since they installed a smart meter,sometimes my machine plays fast which I like and sometimes it seems the amperage is low and they play poorly.
Looks like your machine is playing great. Mine are set on high tap as well. Not sure if I would do something drastic like changing a motor.

#15 7 years ago

Yeah I don't mind it playing fast, playing fast speeds up the rollover 1-9 tallies making it easier to get to the triple bonus. I guess the only thing was the fact that the chime couldn't keep up but I haven't cleaned the 1000 point relay yet bonzo71 suggested.

#16 7 years ago

I hear the chime in the bonus count down. It sounds week though. Based on the video, I believe you should take a look at the chime unit. I believe the 1000 point chime is not floating on its support or missing a rubber grommet.

PBR sells a rebuild kit. Here is a diagram of the chime unit. Compare it to yours and you may be able to see an issue.

http://www.pbresource.com/signatur/KT-WCHIME-02.jpg

Other than that, I'd say your game is playing well.

1 month later
#17 7 years ago

So I took a look at the transformer it is 117v 50hz primary 24v secondary, and the score motor is 27v 50hz. Could this be the reason for the fast bonus countdown and the 1-9 rollover 50 point awarding so fast the chime can't keep up. Sorry for the delay spring is here.

#18 7 years ago

Yes that's it. The transformer won't affect the motor speed but the 50hz motor sure will. As MarkG said:

Quoted from MarkG:

Could your game have been reimported to the US? Even if someone swapped the transformer, the score motor would run fast if it was geared for 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz.

#19 7 years ago

I need to slow down the score motor, could I put a resistor on it? Any thoughts thanks.

3 months later
#20 6 years ago
Quoted from musickerns:

I need to slow down the score motor, could I put a resistor on it? Any thoughts thanks.

You need a frequency converter, not a resistor. Going through this right now with 7 reimports.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from musickerns:

Actually you probably will find it simpler to get the correct 60 Hz motor.

I quote from Tim Me (One our best ) from the following thread; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-williams-change-operating-voltage-from-24-to-27-ac#post-3225587

"On a synchronous motor the speed will always be the same regardless of the voltage, as long as the line frequency (Hz) is constant. Synchronous motors get their speed setting from the AC frequency, not from the voltage. This is one of the big advantages of synchronous motors, because it means their speed is unaffected by voltage variations. It is also why a European 50 Hz score motor runs faster when you use it in the USA, where we have 60 Hz".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-motor?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.