• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Score Motor Switches (resized).jpg
0Fashion-Show-Work-06 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have been trying to track down the switch that is keeping my score motor running. I have a schematic for my 1961 Gottlieb Aloha, but the FOLD in the schematic is right over the wire that shows all of the switches running the score motor!!! Needless to say - I can't read it - I think it's got RED in it, but it could be white with red or orange with red? Anybody know?

Thanks in advance,

LTR

#4 4 years ago

I actually just took this switch off the score motor last night because a wire fell off - the red/white wire, actually. I did not check to see which switches were open or not. I'll do that tonight. Thanks!

LTR

#5 4 years ago

So I found the switch and the wires. Orange goes to the motor and the Red/White wire is on the other side of the switch. The bad news is that both sides of the switch are hot with my test light. I think the only switch down circuit from this one is the SB on the relay bank. Need to check it again. The other down circuit switches are hot on both sides as well - i.e. Red/White and the Orange side of the switch are both lighting my test light - cleaned and checked them all anyway.

I noticed I can make the motor stop if I unplug the Jones connector to the door switches. Not sure if that means anything, though.

LTR

#7 4 years ago

Yes - mine is pretty similar. I will need to take a photo when I get home, but will post it.

#8 4 years ago

Here is the Aloha schematic. Ignore where it says RED.

Score Motor Switches (resized).jpgScore Motor Switches (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Sounds like the game thinks either a coin chute switch or the replay switch is closed, or otherwise shorted somehow. Rolf's experiment will likely prove that theory.

Wish this was the problem, but it doesn't appear to be the case. The K-Relay does not pull in or out when the door plug is pulled. The score motor stops, but the relay just stays open. Also, if I manually reset the relay bank, I can hit the start button and this relay will pull once as expected. I checked the switches on the door - one was a bit bent up, but I fixed it. Neither is fouling or anything. Appears to be fine. What about the H relay (30V hold)? Could that be the issue?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Sounds like the game thinks either a coin chute switch or the replay switch is closed, or otherwise shorted somehow. Rolf's experiment will likely prove that theory.

Wish this was the problem, but it doesn't appear to be the case. The K-Relay does not pull in or out when the door plug is pulled. The score motor stops, but the relay just stays open. Also, if I manually reset the relay bank, I can hit the start button and this relay will pull once as expected. I checked the switches on the door - one was a bit bent up, but I fixed it. Neither is fouling or anything. Appears to be fine. What about the H relay (30V hold)? Could that be the issue?

Quoted from MarkG:

I think you're back to figuring out which switch is making the motor run. Did you ever follow through with this post in the last topic?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aloha-by-gottlieb-score-motor-continues-to-run#post-5408709

I did, but I used a test light. Problem seems like it has to be that SB relay. I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I'll keep trying. Feels like it could be two wires touching and not the switch itself.

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

BUMP! Still stumped on this one. Fixing various wires that have come undone from age - no help. Cleaning switches - no help. Door not the problem. It was only going on/off due to the cheater switch needing to be connected. Now the 30V hold relay is not engaging and the tilt for player one is stuck on. All of this while the score motor continues to run and run. Can't figure out where the power is from, but all of the switches in the schematic are ope as they should be.

Suggestions? Ready to attack it again....

LTR

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

BUMP! Still stumped on this one. Fixing various wires that have come undone from age - no help. Cleaning switches - no help. Door not the problem. It was only going on/off due to the cheater switch needing to be connected. Now the 30V hold relay is not engaging and the tilt for player one is stuck on. All of this while the score motor continues to run and run. Can't figure out where the power is from, but all of the switches in the schematic are ope as they should be.
Suggestions? Ready to attack it again....
LTR

Still stuck on this if anyone has suggestions for trouble shooting the score motor. I am going to deal with another issue on a different post.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I don't know what that means. Can you elaborate? Did you block all of the switches that can send power to the Score Motor with bits of paper at the same time? Did you check if their solder tabs are bent together or if there is a solder bridge between the switch blades?

Yes. I also blocked the switches, checked the gaps, cleaned them, looked for solder bombs and anything else I could think of doing - I'm at a loss. I was starting to consider unsoldering the orange/slate lead from each switch until the motor stops. It MUST be one of them, right?

#19 4 years ago

EUREKA! I did it the hard way and just un-soldered each orange/slate wire from each switch on the schematic until I found one that stopped the score motor. In case you are interested, it was relay C (Kicker Relay). I can't see anything wrong with the switch and after soldering all of the wires back, the motor stops as it should. When I say that, it's because there are still two major issues, but at least the score motor stopped running endlessly. I will post the other issues in a new topic. This one is resolved.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-motor-wire-aloha?tu=tonup69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.