pasted_image (resized).png
Lamp test, via Steve Fury :0) (resized).png
Lamp tester (resized).png
1520174159825-1773495134 (resized).jpg
20180302_225118-1 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've got a 1974 williams triple action with a reset issue. It will not step up the ball count during start up. I've traced the problem to a switch on the score motor index cam. It pulses the ball unit. (It is Switch A in the picture) if i hold a screwdriver across the blades the ball count steps up. I've cleaned the hell out of this switch and it just wont work. The contacts have got to be the cleanest in the machine at this point. The switch seems to close and sit flush. I'm out of ideas. I'm really new to this. Triple Action my first pinball machine purchase. I've followed all the recomended tutorials online and i don't understand why it doesnt connect. I'm open to any ideas or advice on what else to do or check

20180302_225118-1 (resized).jpg20180302_225118-1 (resized).jpg

1520174159825-1773495134 (resized).jpg1520174159825-1773495134 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I would put my meter in continuity test mode and clip my leads on the switch blades starting at the end where the wires connect. Try to close the switch by hand. If it won't close, connect the clips to the blades closer to the contacts and test again.
Could be a broken blade inside the stack.

#3 6 years ago

Make sure that the contact isn’t loose it might have to be re-peened (light hammer tap).

Have you filed the contacts? Cleaning may not be enough.

#4 6 years ago

I have filed them. Still nothing.

#5 6 years ago

What about if you move score motor yourself and watch... is it really making good contact? You can take a slow motion video with your phone and watch it in action on a reset. I think this is simpler than your making it... if a switch is not working... 99.5% of the time it’s because it’s not making contact. Until you rule that out, that’s the problem.

Switches could probably be cleaned better using a metal polish and a qtip. Like Brasso. I avoid files and low current switches, usually not needed.

#6 6 years ago

I will try the slo motion video when i get home. I've tried turning by hand and looking but its hard to see as fast as it clicks. Can't get it to stop right on the notch.

#7 6 years ago

Post a snip of the schematic showing the ball count step up coil and associated switches.

Keep in mind the holding a switch closed through and entire motor cycle could involve other switch pulses that are blinded by other score motor switches or by other relays dropping out earlier in the motor cycle.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from TripAct93:

I will try the slo motion video when i get home. I've tried turning by hand and looking but its hard to see as fast as it clicks. Can't get it to stop right on the notch.

Yes, turn the game off and advance the score motor by hand. Use the meter test discussed above to verify continuity.

You can also unplug the motor service jack but you don't want to leave the score motor sitting anywhere with power on for any length of time. As you can burn up solenoids.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TripAct93:

I've cleaned the hell out of this switch and it just wont work. The contacts have got to be the cleanest in the machine

For contacts to connect - In the order to check:

1. The contact points have to be clean - use a flexstone, emery board or fine sandpaper
2. When activated the long blade has to move the short blade. Looking like the contact points are touching ISN'T ENOUGH.
3. The contact points have to make good connection with the blades. May need to be repeened or even soldered on the back. (As dr_nybble said above)

#10 6 years ago

Have you tried shorting those contacts at the wire soldered ends? if you get identical results as per your shorting the switch blades,and, the machine functions otherwise ok, then your fault must be on the switch contacts,or,there's a break in one of the blades. The switch stack screws are nice and tight, yes?

#11 6 years ago

Ive tested with DMM and the swith connects. I tested from several spots and the switch definetly has continuity but ball count does not step up. Really stumped now. What do i check next?

#12 6 years ago

Switch stacks are nice and tight.

#13 6 years ago

If the wires from the motor switches and Relay switch to the Ball Count unit solenoid go through a Jones Plug, Bypass using alligator clip jumper leads. If you verify they are the problem; Repair the defective Jones Plug. Clean, retension etc...

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TripAct93:

Ive tested with DMM and the swith connects

DMM isn't enough. You need to know if a switch passes enough current to fire the coil it's connected to. That's why MrBally 's recommendation is better than a DMM.

Quoted from MrBally:

Bypass using alligator clip jumper leads ...

#15 6 years ago

Lamp test, via Steve Fury :0) (resized).pngLamp test, via Steve Fury :0) (resized).png

Lamp tester (resized).pngLamp tester (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

DMM isn't enough. You need to know if a switch passes enough current to fire the coil it's connected to. That's why mrbally 's recommendation is better than a DMM.

Better still, Steve Fury's method works well:

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

Better still, Steve Fury's method works well:

That's fine if you want to know if the circuit can pass enough current to light the lightbulbs, but if you want to know whether the circuit can pass enough current for the attached relay or solenoid, use Alligator clip jumper wires.

#18 6 years ago

I fixed this problem it was a switch on the coin relay in circuit with the score motor.

#19 6 years ago

Nice work! Glad you found it!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TripAct93:

I fixed this problem it was a switch on the coin relay in circuit with the score motor.

Congrats on finding the problem.

Thank you for taking the extra moment to let people know you fixed problem (and what it was). People do not always do that, but I believe it is the thing to do after people help; plus, your solution may help someone else in the future!

#21 6 years ago

Thanks guys this is my first pinball machine purchace/repair. I've been taking it one step at a time and i think i almost have it working perfect.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-motor-switch-wont-connect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.