2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DCRand
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Armature out (resized).png
    Armature in (resized).png
    Step 1 (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

I just got a 1967 Williams Jolly Roger game. I cannot get the score motor adjusted properly and was hoping someone could give me the best strategy.

Score motor will continuously run until I lightly press down on index switch stack. Everything else will work at this point. I put paper in MOTOR RUN leaf and stops motor so that seems to rule out all other switches.

I have been adjusting for hours. If increase gap too large the SM will not index to home position. Too little and continuous run. I have found a place where it will stop most of time. When at this happy medium it stops a bit late where it is half way up cam edge so outhole switch is disabled.

Seems like the motor momentum will not allow it to stop at full home position. So what do I do to fix this?

Thanks,
    Kent_Diego

#2 2 years ago

Try specifically posting in the EM tech section. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/tech-em

Did you tighten the switch stacks before adjustment ?

Did you use a switch adjustment tool ? ( I can't find mine )

Does it use a spring for a brake on the armature & does that seem to function ? http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#motor

#3 2 years ago

chas10e Thanks for the info. The pinrepair link had this interesting item:

Most other companies (especially Williams) use a spring loaded armature. As power is applied to the motor, the magnetic force pulls the spring loaded armature towards the motor's layered plates. This engages the armature to the gearbox, and the gears turn. As power is turned off to the motor, the spring pulls the armature back to the resting position, which disengages the gears. This allows the armature to coast (continue spinning) without turning the gears.

I will open up motor to ensure the armature spring is working properly.

#4 2 years ago

SOLVED. The overrun problem is all fixed! The armature was stuck in. A little oil and moving back and fourth freed it up where it is disengaged when stopped. I am posting pictures showing the fix as an aid for future searches:

Step 1 (resized).pngStep 1 (resized).pngArmature in (resized).pngArmature in (resized).pngArmature out (resized).pngArmature out (resized).png
    #5 2 years ago

Good find! I recall having the opposite problem with one of our machines that hadn’t run in a long time. It wouldn’t pull the armature in until I worked it back and forth several times.

Jolly Roger is a great game. I’ve spent a lot of time cleaning up the cosmetics on ours because it’s a blast to play.

Dave

#6 2 years ago

Thanks dgAmpGuy The armature was likely stuck for years. The previous owner had speaker wire and jumper clips running to outhole switch and outhole relay so the ball would eject. I have been watching pinball repair videos for months before buying my first EM. None of the repair videos and guides ever mentioned the armature. I would suggest oiling the score motor armature as an important maintenance activity for every EM owner.

#7 2 years ago

Kent_Diego Glad you resolved and thanks for posting the fix in detail to help me and others if we run into this.

#8 2 years ago

Another note from http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#motor NOT to lubricate open brass gears

Lubricating a Score Motor.
    The only part that needs lubricated on Gottlieb score motors is the felt needle bearing pad. This is accessed via a small hole on the bottom of the score motor. Just put a couple of drops of 3-in-1 oil on this pad. No other lubrication is needed! For example, do *not* lubricate the brass gears of the score motor. Brass on brass gears are designed for no lubrication. Same thing with nylon on nylon gears, and nylon on metal gears, use no lubrication. Remember the EM rule of lubrication, if in doubt, do not lubricate.

Also a lubrication guide from a post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-secrets-of-atlantismy-resto-thread#post-2064172

Kent_Diego I'm glad to see the "resolved check-mark" on your post

3 months later
    #9 2 years ago

Thank you for the posts. Having the same motor occasional slight overrun problem. Unfortunately looks like someone already oiled everything. So I’m trying to clean it up and hoping that will solve the problem. I’m wondering if the armature spring becomes week and if there’s anyway to fix that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-motor-adjustment-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.