• Latest reply 3 years ago by kguenther6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

display (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Picked up a machine in the attic of my uncle. Got most things up and runing but the score displays still have some issues.

When playing multiplayer it correctly counts scores, displaying them right is hoewever an issue.
Same for the credits and ball number.

Is this related to the score displays, to a connector/cable(s) or the Aux lamp driver board ?

display (resized).jpgdisplay (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Often the connectors need to be resoldered on the boards as they go cold over time. I would start by resoldering all the display connector pins and J1 on the MPU.

#3 3 years ago

what voltage do you have at TP2 in HV section of solenoid driver board, be careful when testing.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

what voltage do you have at TP2 in HV section of solenoid driver board, be careful when testing.

How can this be measured (ohm/V ?) and what should be the outcome of the test ? (test in off or on mode?)

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Often the connectors need to be resoldered on the boards as they go cold over time. I would start by resoldering all the display connector pins and J1 on the MPU.

I've unplugged display 4 and all 3 others 'seems' to be ok on a first test...
When I do the display test menu all numbers appear on all 4 (when connected) with the same brightness... and no missing parts in the numbers.

How can all figures appear correctly on the 4th one when this one messes up in non test mode...?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

How can this be measured (ohm/V ?) and what should be the outcome of the test ? (test in off or on mode?)

with the machine turned on, using a multi meter set on DC volts, put the black lead probe to any ground, there is one on the solenoid driver board marked GND, but the ground plane or braid will do, and the red lead probe to the loop tag marked TP2.

This TP2 may be under a plastic shield, warning of the high voltage present depending on whether yours is there.

Keep a steady hand when doing this, your meter should read about 190 volts DC, which is adjustable using the nearby potentiometer.

again be very careful, but if in doubt you can check the same voltage on any of the displays themselves, but this doesn't make it any less dangerous, proceed with caution IMO

#7 3 years ago

I finally made it to do the test.
It reads 146.9Volt...
Should I increase it with the Blue RT1 HV adjust potentiometer/screw ?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

I finally made it to do the test.
It reads 146.9Volt...
Should I increase it with the Blue RT1 HV adjust potentiometer/screw ?

Yes, you need to bump it up using RT1. Turn it up to 190V and see if they light up. Then move it down. Ideally you want it between 150-160V Also check TP4 and make sure it is at 230V plus or minus 25V. Then resolder all the connector pins on each display and on J1 on the MPU as suggested above. That should take care of most issues.

#9 3 years ago

that reading is too low.
yes adjust as you stated.

your call as it's your pin, but have a read of the following links regarding the voltage at TP2

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-magic-club-all-are-welcome/page/2#post-6049718

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-magic-club-all-are-welcome/page/2#post-6049851

#10 3 years ago

TP 4 measured 250V, so that's fine.

Raised it to 156V on TP2 and all 5 light up now .

One is still doing strange things with a number dissapearing and one fading in out. But this only happens on irregular bases.
Will do resoldering on this unit.
Only need to resolder the connector pins ? or more pins?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

TP 4 measured 250V, so that's fine.
Raised it to 156V on TP2 and all 5 light up now .
One is still doing strange things with a number dissapearing and one fading in out. But this only happens on irregular bases.
Will do resoldering on this unit.
Only need to resolder the connector pins ? or more pins?

Just connector pins is needed. Glad it's working now.

#12 3 years ago

Did a resoldering and cleaning with alcohol on almost all pins of this 4th score display but problem remains intermittently.
Sometimes it's perfect and sometimes up to 3 numbers are missing and one is blinking. Always the same positions.
Guess bad contact but how to find it...

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Did a resoldering and cleaning with alcohol on almost all pins of this 4th score display but problem remains intermittently.
Sometimes it's perfect and sometimes up to 3 numbers are missing and one is blinking. Always the same positions.
Guess bad contact but how to find it...

That is almost always bad solder joints on the connector pins. But if you resoldered them try swapping displays and see if the problem stays with that display. If it does, then you know it's something with that display. If the problem starts with the display that you moved there you will know it's a problem with the cable or the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 90.00
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/score-display-issues?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.